PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RenaissanceWriter
11-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Do any of you have experience or know about the Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency? I'm not even sure I want to go looking for an agent. I'm still reading the pros and cons and making up my mind. The main issue I have is that I know some agents prefer to only work with X type of book while others want all of the work you have. I am looking at querying for some children's books first, but I have one non-fiction project that I'd like to do (sometime in the future), and I have adult fiction as well. The children's work is fiction. Anyway, EELA said they accept all types of work, even children's books, so I'm not sure if an agency like that is the way to go. Any advice?

Brandi

Kempo Kid
11-01-2004, 02:23 PM
I queried them but got rejected. They're on the up and up, I believe. I've never heard anything said against them.

Risseybug
11-02-2004, 03:34 AM
I think that Mr. Ellenberg is actually one of the biggies. At least that's the impression I got from others.

I queried him back in Aug., never got a response. Maybe I'll get that rejection by Christmas. LOL

callalily61
11-02-2004, 06:59 AM
I queried them last Thursday. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Kempo Kid
11-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Took 23 days for them to reject me with a form rejection.

At least they responded.

Princesstilly
11-03-2004, 02:48 AM
I queried here on October 12 and haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you posted too.

allion
11-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Took them about two months to turn me down - they were professional about it, though, so I can't complain.

(Well, I can, but it's late and why bother...)

Pellegrina Leoni
11-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Another Ellenberg rejectee chiming in. I queried him on October 14 and received a form rejection on October 30. Oh well. Noted and logged; keep on keepin' on.

katdad
11-07-2004, 06:41 PM
First of all, it's Ethan Ellenberg.

I hope you spelled their name right when you queried them.

Ellenberg is a legit agency. They have a good reputation.

RenaissanceWriter
11-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I'll query them and maybe 1-2 others but then go it alone if I get rejected.

Katdad, to whom are you responding? I re-read the posts, and everyone from the ones I caught spelled the name exactly like you did.

RenaissanceWriter
11-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Ah, I see what you're talking about now. I had a typo in my thread title. If you'd read my post, you would have seen that not only did I spell it right in my post, but I haven't queried them.

SimonSays
11-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Ren:

"I think I'll query them and maybe 1-2 others but then go it alone if I get rejected."

If you are serious about a career as a writer, then you need to be aware of the reality of the road to this career. The road to publication is not often short and is filled with lots of rejection. If your goal is to avoid rejection, then chances are you will not get published legitimately.

If you're serious you will not just query two or three agents, you should prepare a list of dozens - maybe 100 or more. Most agents and pubs will reject you off your query letter. If you are batting 0 after sending out the first dozen, you might want to tweak your query. A query letter is your sales tool, and if you're not interesting anyone than chances are you are not selling effectively. The large majority of those who request a full or paritial ms from your qurery, will probably reject you as well.

The acceptance rate for most agents and publishers is 2-5%. With the reality of those odds, you need to have a large pool of agents to approach to give yourself a fair shot.

James D Macdonald
11-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I'll query them and maybe 1-2 others but then go it alone if I get rejected.

If by "go it alone" you mean "submit to legitimate publishers" this might work. If by "go it alone" you mean "self-publish," I wish you the very best but I can't hold out a lot of hope.

Your best bet is to keep querying, and work on your next book while you're waiting to hear back.

Meanwhile, remember that you aren't being rejected. What's being rejected is a particular arrangment of words on paper.

bellmawrpark
05-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi all. I used this forum to avoide a scammer before and figured I'd come back and try again! I got a call from Ethan Ellenberg yesterday saying he wanted to rep me and a childnen's book.

He's listed as "recommended" on Preditors and Editors, a memember of the AAR and has a calendar on his web site showing what he's got coming out soon. Everything sounds great so far. I did some indepth browsing and found a site where someone claimed he stole his book ideas from him.

Is there anyone whose dealt with him before or has any horror stories? He sounds pretty good so far, but after almost getting burned last time, I think safer is better.

Christine N.
05-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Um, if Ethan Ellenberg wants to rep you...
DO THE DANCE OF JOY AND THANK THE WRITING GODS! He's a big one. One of THE big ones. I can only pray that someday he gives me the time of day. I sent a sub to him and never heard back.

victoriastrauss
05-21-2005, 07:53 PM
What Christine Said. If I were looking, he'd be one of my top choices. Congratulations!

I did some indepth browsing and found a site where someone claimed he stole his book ideas from him.I've seen that site. Reading between the lines, I suspect that something quite different was going on, and I'm certain that Ellenberg had nothing to do with it.

- Victoria

CACTUSWENDY
05-21-2005, 08:03 PM
:Clap: Congrats and the sky looks to be the limit. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

bellmawrpark
05-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks, everyone. Great responses.

Last fall I tried to sell a fiction book and amassed 25 rejection letters. Instead, I tried another tactic. I created an illustrated non-fiction book called "The Complete Guide to Drawing Dinosaurs."

He sent 3 emails to the email address I list on my web site (that I can only check every 3 or 4 days b/c of junk mail) to call him. When I didn't respon, he called my work number, searched through our directory, and called me on my work phone. I'm so excited after hearing everything you guys have said. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Here's my website. Follow the link for the drawing book:
www.jmwebcenter.com (http://www.jmwebcenter.com)

James D. Macdonald
06-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Leid: Go over to the AAR's website and look for agents. Take your favorite authors, and find out who agents them. Check out agents in Jeff Herman's guide. Find everything you wanted to know about literary agents (http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/01/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about.asp) here.

Don't trust any one source. And use your common sense.

victoriastrauss
06-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Tara, here are some resources for you:

A list of agents who represent SFWA members: http://www.sfwriter.com/agent.htm. You'll need to do more research on each of them, but it's a place to start.
Speculations is an excellent monthly e-newsletter with articles and market information--http://www.speculations.com/.
If you aren't already, you should be reading Locus Magazine, which reports each month on who's selling what to whom. It's one of the best ways to learn about agents and publishers in the field. There's subscription information at its website: http://www.locusmag.com.
A recent interview with some major agents in the SF/fantasy field--it's very informative: http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/03_april/news0403_1.shtml.
Good luck!

- Victoria

Leid: X09
06-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys, those URLS deemed interesting and at the same time, helpful. I'll work on the list of sci fi agents tomorrow. Since it's quite obvious that you all are knowledgeable in different Literary Agencies, I would like to ask about several of the ones I have already Queried to:

1) Bloominghouse Literary Agency
2) Henshaw Literary Agency
3) Fann Literary Agency

And finally,

4) Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency.

Are these legit? I'm aware some of them are small, but perhaps it's wisest to begin toward the bottom and work your way up.

Contacting the Agents that support my favorite novelists was an excellent idea; however, you'd think one would write the same genre as their favorite writers, wouldn't you? For some reason, I am compelled to write in an entirely different field altogether. I read Stephen King and Dean Koonz and occassionally Peter Straub. However, I really can't place a genre on my book at all. It's scientific, religious, factual in Ancient Civilizations, as well as fantasy due it taking place in a mystical world on the outskirts of our known Universe. I'm not sure if a science fiction agent would accept it, nor am I certain if a fantasy agent would either. It's pretty "out there" in terms of storyline.

But since I am a novice and I could very well be terribly wrong (which is usually the case. Lol) I will start working on trying to find an agent once again tomorrow. So far I have all of the materials that the majority of agents are looking for. Though I'm a little discouraged due to the fact that this is the first attempt at ever trying to publish anything at all. I'm sure I don't have more to offer than someone who has several doctorates in God knows what and has had short stories and journals published. Alright, I'm babbling. Nonetheless, your help is greatly appreciated.

- Tara Newberry

JennaGlatzer
06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Victoria, thanks for the new thread. You already saved a man from signing with them yesterday because he found this page. :Clap:

James D. Macdonald
06-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm aware some of them are small, but perhaps it's wisest to begin toward the bottom and work your way up.

Nope. Start at the top and work down.

Susan Gable
06-18-2005, 05:49 PM
4) Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency.

Yes, Ethan's legit. I've met him and also know several people who've worked with him. One thing Ethan said at a conference that impressed me was that he had no problem at all with having split checks with his clients and he didn't understand why some agents might take that as a personal affront.

Susan G.

victoriastrauss
06-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Tara, you asked about:

1) Bloominghouse Literary Agency: Its website has been online since 2000. In that time, I can't discover that it has made any sales at all. As a general rule of thumb, a successful agency will start making regular sales within six months to a year of starting up.

2) Henshaw Literary Agency: This is a small agency with what looks like a midrange track record. (Midrange = solid sales, but nothing spectacular.)

3) Fann Literary Agency: See my post in this thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205664#post205664) The short version: avoid.

4) Ethan Ellenberg Literary Agency: As others have noted, successful and well regarded, with an extensive track record of commercial sales. If I were looking, I'd definitely approach him!

I'm aware some of them are small, but perhaps it's wisest to begin toward the bottom and work your way up.Let me echo Uncle Jim: Begin at the top, and work your way down. Wouldn't you rather be repped by a top agent? What do you have to lose but postage?

You may have heard that common myth, that successful agents aren't interested in new writers. It really is a myth. Agents are well aware that the future bestsellers and literary stars often come from the ranks of the previously unpublished (think J.K. Rowling). No agent worth his or her salt will turn away an interesting manuscript just because the writer has never published before.

However, I really can't place a genre on my book at all. It's scientific, religious, factual in Ancient Civilizations, as well as fantasy due it taking place in a mystical world on the outskirts of our known Universe. I'm not sure if a science fiction agent would accept it, nor am I certain if a fantasy agent would either. It's pretty "out there" in terms of storyline.Not knowing anything about your book, it does sound to me as if it trends toward fantasy. Try marketing it as a fantasy and see what happens; if the responses you get indicate that it's too "mainstream", you can switch to a more mainstream approach.

Agents who represent science fiction usually also rep fantasy, and vice versa. It all fits under the umbrella of "speculative".

- Victoria

gp101
08-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I queried Ethan Ellenberg in June via e-mail and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else queried him via e-mail? If so, how long did it take for a response? He says he accepts e-mail queries.

smallthunder
08-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I queried Ethan Ellenberg in June via e-mail and still haven't heard back. Has anyone else queried him via e-mail? If so, how long did it take for a response? He says he accepts e-mail queries.

I sent him my query via e-mail, and received a reply the same day requesting the manuscript.

(At least, I think it was the same day -- I'm in Taiwan, he's in the US, and I'm not sure how my e-mail account handles the 12-hour time difference when listing dates!)

Euan H.
08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I snail-queried him, and got a reply just less than a month after.

Kasey Mackenzie
08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Do his guidelines state that you will get a response whether he's interested in the manuscript or not? Some agents who accept e-queries will only respond if they ARE interested, and if you don't hear back you should assume they're not interested. Of course, I would probably wait a couple months and then send a follow-up just to make sure they DID receive my earlier submission because things DO get lost in cyberspace.

At any rate, good luck!

Bufty
08-18-2005, 07:28 PM

I believe the submission guidelines for Ethan Ellenberg state they will only reply to e-mail queries if interested. So, I guess they weren't interested in mine. :Shrug: But congratulations to those who have aroused interest.:Clap:

brinkett
08-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Your email could have been caught by spam filters. I've read a couple of interviews with agents in which they've stated that lots of queries don't even reach their inbox. You might want to consider querying by snail mail for agents that really interest you.

chicagogal
04-24-2006, 07:41 AM
As I read all of the fun and informative posts, I have a need to dress up my post when I make one. some of you have such interesting photos, etc. adjoining your posts. anyone care to take the time to clue me in on how to do this. may as well have some fun while trying to make it! thanks.

James D. Macdonald
04-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Click on UserCP in the bar near the top of the page.

Click on "edit avatar."

Follow the instructions.

JennaGlatzer
04-24-2006, 07:58 AM
One thing, though-- you can't upload a custom picture (avatar) until you've made 50 posts. So hurry up and post some more. ;)

Back to Ethan Ellenberg...

CaoPaux
04-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...an aghast CaoPaux realizes there is no linkage to the agent in question. Oh, the humanity! http://www.ethanellenberg.com/

Julie Worth
04-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Nope. Start at the top and work down.

I say do it randomly. Your query will get better. If you start at the top, youíll be matching your worst query with the pickiest agents. If you query randomly, though, youíll have a few top agents left when youíve finally polished your query into a bright and shiny gem.

dragonjax
04-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Ethan is a terrific, professional agent. When I e-queried, I heard from him very quickly.

HapiSofi
04-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I say do it randomly. Your query will get better. If you start at the top, youíll be matching your worst query with the pickiest agents. If you query randomly, though, youíll have a few top agents left when youíve finally polished your query into a bright and shiny gem.Jim's right. You're wrong.

You're betting against yourself by assuming no one's going to accept you right off.

If you can't polish your query on your own, what makes you think the responses you get from agents will help you buff it till it burns with a gem-like flame? Make it good now -- if you're a writer, you should be able to do that -- and send it to the top of your list.

Julie Worth
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Jim's right. You're wrong.

You're betting against yourself by assuming no one's going to accept you right off.

If you can't polish your query on your own, what makes you think the responses you get from agents will help you buff it till it burns with a gem-like flame? Make it good now -- if you're a writer, you should be able to do that -- and send it to the top of your list.

So everything I say is wrong, apparently. Well, it seems that people on this board, me included, are constantly fiddling with our query letters. Hopefully, they are getting better, and not worse.

As to sending them out randomly, thatís what Nicolas Sparks did: ďI then sent the letter off to 25 agents, picked at random.Ē Thatís not to say he didnít do some research first, but still, you never know where the best fit is going to be. In fact, none of the 25 worked out. It was an unknown agent with no sales who picked up his ms and called him. And he only went with her after all the others turned him down.

Aconite
05-07-2006, 04:19 PM
As to sending them out randomly, thatís what Nicolas Sparks did: ďI then sent the letter off to 25 agents, picked at random.Ē Thatís not to say he didnít do some research first, but still, you never know where the best fit is going to be. In fact, none of the 25 worked out. It was an unknown agent with no sales who picked up his ms and called him. And he only went with her after all the others turned him down.And when Nicholas told that story, was he wincing at his own naif stupidity and thanking God that things worked out well even though he'd been dumb as a brick? Because I very much doubt he was telling it as an example to new writers of how to go about getting an agent.

Julie Worth
05-07-2006, 05:27 PM
And when Nicholas told that story, was he wincing at his own naif stupidity and thanking God that things worked out well even though he'd been dumb as a brick? Because I very much doubt he was telling it as an example to new writers of how to go about getting an agent.

I donít think it would have mattered. One advantage Sparks had was his background in sales. He had a feel for what would get results. And he got them: 12 requests for the full based on 25 queries. Hard to beat that no matter how you select the agents.

But even then, he still had to get lucky.

The lucky part: one of the agents he sent it to dies and an assistant finds the query in the slush pile. It isnít right for him, so he sends it to a young ex-attorney who started as a literary agent six months before, and has not yet sold a book. Appalled by this, Sparks keeps her hanging, but as no one else wants it, he signs. What else can he do? Well, she sends it out, promptly gets an offer for $500,000, and has the chutzpah to turn it down, saying sheís looking for seven figures. And she gets it!

Birol
05-07-2006, 06:02 PM
That seems one of those exceptions to the rules stories. How many times has a new writer been burned when they've chosen to go with a new agent with no track record compared to what happened with Sparks?

Julie Worth
05-07-2006, 06:15 PM
That seems one of those exceptions to the rules stories. How many times has a new writer been burned when they've chosen to go with a new agent with no track record compared to what happened with Sparks?

Absolutely! I would have said no thanks. Still...it wasnít like she was on her own.

A few more tidbits: This agent had Sparks do a lot of work on the ms before she judged it ready to go, and then she submitted to several houses simultaneously. (I guessing that, since she had him send up 25 copies of the ms by second day air. Which would be an unnecessary expense if she werenít sending out at least a few of them.). She got the copies on a Wednesday. On Friday she told Sparks she was expecting an offer, and by Monday had it up to a million. Jeez!

clara bow
05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
What's also mystifying is that editors wanted the story, too. Talk about timing and luck! It *is* a really high concept idea. The idea is what probably sold it. Weird to think an idea is worth that much to some editors/agents. Although, come to think of it, maybe the mediocre writing had something to do with the windfall of cash :tongue .

I don't mind (much) that some of these writers have such luck...what disappoints is that the wealth isn't more evenly distributed more often and among writers who deserve it equally. Heck, give me 5-10k and I'm a happy camper, I swear.

Marian Perera
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
In 2003, I submitted a query to the Ethan Ellenberg literary agency and got a request for a full. The agent who read it asked the head of the agency for a second opinion and decided to pass on it; the agent concluded by emailing me to say, "This has been a difficult decision as I continue to think that you're writing shows a great deal of promise. With the right story, I think you'll write a great book. I remain open to read anything from you in the future."

Now I have a new novel ready to be sent out. I was wondering, would it be appropriate for me to contact this agent directly through email and submit the query, or would this not be OK considering that our email exchange was four years ago? Just wondering if that time period was too long.

Pisarz
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Query anyone and everyone suitable for your genre. Requerying the same agent with a different project is fine.

Read the info on these boards and plunder the good things at www.agentquery.com (http://www.agentquery.com) (and various agent blogs, listed several threads above this one) for all you need to now about contacting agents.

waylander
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Absolutely yes, contact him and remind him of your previous submission. When agents say they want to see more of your work they mean it.

Maprilynne
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Absolutely yes, contact him and remind him of your previous submission. When agents say they want to see more of your work they mean it.

Yeah, what she (he?) said.

Carmy
04-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Absolutely. I sent a query out last night and got a request for a partial today. The agent remembered my from October 2006 and said so in her mail.
I was amazed because I didn't even remember sending her a full on another project.

Because your first novel came so close, I'm sure the agent will remember your name. Go for it, and good luck!

GeorgeK
11-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I sent a snailmail submission to him almost three months ago and still haven't heard anything. His site says email submissions should get some sort of response around a 2 week turnaround. Why should snailmail be significantly more than a week longer? Maybe it's a good sign? Maybe I need to inquire if it ever arrived?

rwam
11-05-2007, 01:35 AM
I sent a snailmail submission to him almost three months ago and still haven't heard anything. His site says email submissions should get some sort of response around a 2 week turnaround. Why should snailmail be significantly more than a week longer? Maybe it's a good sign? Maybe I need to inquire if it ever arrived?

I hope so, but he took 2.5 months to send me my form reject.

Marva
11-05-2007, 04:24 AM
The querytracker.net site shows email responses from 21-48 days and snail mail from 7-82. So, I think the 2 weeks on email isn't exact. Six weeks and I'll write them off as a no. Let's see. I guess that will be around Thanksgiving.

Ashleen
11-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Ethan Ellenberg used to be my agent. He's not now. I had the impression it was because he was generally cutting back, personally, but who knows. It's a legit agency, and I certainly didn't/don't have any major complaints.

Ashleen O'Gaea

SageFury
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I quired Ethan about a month ago (probably the worst time to send snailmail). Anyone know if he will take on two part novels?

I unfortunately have a two-parter and am a first timer which is probably another worst combination. Could not be helped though with the storyline I formed...

YAwriter72
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
He responded to my email query in a day and requested the full, then offered three days after that. I believe his email policy is you will hear within two weeks, if you hear nothing assume its an R.

SouthernWeirdo
01-26-2009, 02:41 AM
He responded to my email query in a day and requested the full, then offered three days after that. I believe his email policy is you will hear within two weeks, if you hear nothing assume its an R.

Wow! Congratulations!

Thanks for updating the thread. This is nice to hear. I sent him a query today...

brgray19
02-18-2009, 02:40 AM
I know Ethan asks for the first 50 pages. For those of you who e-queried him, did you actually paste the first 50 in the e-mail? I wasn't sure!

YAwriter72
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
I know Ethan asks for the first 50 pages. For those of you who e-queried him, did you actually paste the first 50 in the e-mail? I wasn't sure!

Yes, pasted in the email NOT attached. :)

brgray19
02-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks YAwriter! I have my partial out exclusively with my dream agent right now, but I'm trying to be prepared to send to my top 10 list of agents when I hear back (or don't as I hear apparently that's sometimes the case!), and that definitely helps. :)

Marva
02-19-2009, 04:21 AM

I figured 50 was too much, so I sent first five chapters (about 30 pages). I didn't want the email to choke. I figure if (they) read the first 30 and are interested, they'll ask for more. They'll probably only read the first page anyhow, then ship out the form rejection.

Cyia
02-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I thought 50 was only meant for snail mail queries. The site said they didn't open attachments, so I sent the first chapter. a 50 page email is pretty big.

brgray19
02-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Yes, I was worried about the size of the e-mail. You're probably right though--I worry about these things and he decides off the first page!

YAwriter72
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry. There is no specific number, its just sample chapters. I think I sent the first 30 to him. :)

brgray19
02-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry. There is no specific number, its just sample chapters. I think I sent the first 30 to him. :)

One more question! Did you also include the synopsis he asks for on his website, or did you just reply on the mini-synopsis in your query letter?

dragonjax
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
As a rule, always give the agent what he or she is requesting. If he wants a synopsis, you should be sure to send the synopsis -- even if you had a "mini-synopsis" in your query letter.

Wonderlander
02-26-2009, 03:36 AM
I queried Ethan Ellenberg a couple of days ago - I sent 50 pages inline and a synopsis too even though there was a mini-synopsis in my query.

That said, I think the synopsis is a bit flat, so I'm talking it over to SYW for dissection. God, I hate synopses.

Shall keep the world posted on how quickly I get rejected responded to!

YAwriter72
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
One more question! Did you also include the synopsis he asks for on his website, or did you just reply on the mini-synopsis in your query letter?

Full inline! I did query letter, <break>, synopsis, <break>, first 30 pages

52greg
02-27-2009, 02:50 AM
I queried Ethan Ellenberg a couple of days ago - I sent 50 pages inline and a synopsis too even though there was a mini-synopsis in my query.

That said, I think the synopsis is a bit flat, so I'm talking it over to SYW for dissection. God, I hate synopses.

Shall keep the world posted on how quickly I get rejected responded to!

I sent a proposal to Ellenberg a few days ago, too. Haven't heard back.

Marva
02-27-2009, 03:00 AM
This is a no response means rejection agency. Their submissions page says if you haven't heard back in two weeks, then consider it a no. At least they say that. Better than those who don't mention that they're non-responders.

Wrum Riter
04-08-2009, 03:49 AM
If he wants a synopsis, you should be sure to send the synopsis -- even if you had a "mini-synopsis" in your query letter.

Say there, it's been a few years since I looked into all the ROE for submissions (heh, my draft to EA has reference to 80 pages not 50), if the agent requests a "synopsis" they aren't looking for a snippet in the query then?

What's the typical length of a standard synopsis-to-agent?

Thanks much.

Cyia
04-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Say there, it's been a few years since I looked into all the ROE for submissions (heh, my draft to EA has reference to 80 pages not 50), if the agent requests a "synopsis" they aren't looking for a snippet in the query then?

What's the typical length of a standard synopsis-to-agent?

Thanks much.

You need to ask the agent for specifics. A synopsis can be a short 1-3 page overview of the whole manuscript, or they may want a detailed "chapter-by-chapter" than can be up to 10 pages. A simple, polite email shouldn't be a problem for a direct question.

tbrosz
04-08-2009, 05:39 AM
From what I've learned, agents like it best if you can manage to pack your synopsis into a single (single spaced) page.

You should have a different query letter (more of a "cover letter") designed to accompany a synopsis, so you aren't repeating synopsis-type details in your query. An agent pointed that out to me a while back.

YAwriter72
04-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Mine was 3.5 pages for a 45,000 word YA novel. I know some people have up to 10 pages. Some agents will specify a long or a short synopsis.

jsouders
09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Any new info on this agent? I'm thinking of submitting, but I'd like more info before I do.

YAwriter72
09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
New info? Like what exactly?

jsouders
09-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Query stats, bewares. I've researched him and he seems to be on the up and up, but sometimes I find out on here there are a few potential issues.

SJWangsness
09-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Hell, I can answer that. Ellenberg is a very legit and very good agent that any writer would be very lucky to have as an agent. You know to check sites like Preditors & Editors, right? Also, the Association of Authors Repredsentatives (AAR), of which he is a member. And Publishers Weekly. And of course, this site.

Look at me. One month in and I'm already an expert.

SJWangsness
09-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Oh, forgot: for query stats, go to QueryTracker.net.

jsouders
09-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks, I already did all that, I was just curious if people had something different to say. I didn't expect anything, but you just never know. :)

YAwriter72
09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, he's my agent and so far I love working with him. He is prompt and very nice and has done wonders for the WIP's that we have been getting ready to submit. He has a very impressive sales list and is very easy to bounce ideas off. He has helped me narrow down what to work on and what to let go. Just a side note, if you look at Publishers Marketplace, he doesn't report many deals there. Some agents just don't.

jsouders
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, he's my agent and so far I love working with him. He is prompt and very nice and has done wonders for the WIP's that we have been getting ready to submit. He has a very impressive sales list and is very easy to bounce ideas off. He has helped me narrow down what to work on and what to let go. Just a side note, if you look at Publishers Marketplace, he doesn't report many deals there. Some agents just don't.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

dlparker
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
People interested in querying might check out what EE's current focus is. I see a lot of urban fantasy and sales to adult markets there lately (Ellora's Cave example). Titles of recent books include a lot of naked chests and saucy titles. If that's your thing, go for it.

I sent queries there twice--both were for (different) science fiction works, no sex. I got one reply (this was a few years back, for the first submission) and no answer, I think, the second time, which was this year.

EE's information used to note it was more for sci fi/fantasy. I'd say that focus has changed. So probably, if you're writing straight sci fi, they won't be interested now.

Good luck, anyway, folks.

Eirin
12-14-2009, 11:59 PM
FYI

From Scalzi's Whatever: Ethan Ellenberg Agency Looking For New Clients. (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2009/12/14/ethan-ellenberg-agency-looking-for-new-clients/)

AuntB
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I queried Ethan on the 14 of December (The day that the aforementioned post went up on Scalzi's blog) with the first three chapters, synopsis, and of course a query letter. Received a request for the full about thirty minutes ago.... squee! This helps so much with my holiday-impatience-jitters.

I do have a question for you folks-- I've done my research on Ethan, and he definately has plenty of sales, recognizeable ones too. On his website, it states that they are primarily looking for sci-fi/fantasy and children's books (mine is a YA contemporary fantasy). I'm having trouble finding any MG/YA sales for him though(though I have found a couple picture books). Anyone know of any? Is this maybe a market that he's looking to expand into maybe?

Stew21
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
He reps Christopher Moore. That right there put him on the top of my list. :) He is a very impressive agent.

Best of luck with the request for full, AuntB.

regdog
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I queried Ethan on the 14 of December (The day that the aforementioned post went up on Scalzi's blog) with the first three chapters, synopsis, and of course a query letter. Received a request for the full about thirty minutes ago.... squee! This helps so much with my holiday-impatience-jitters.

I do have a question for you folks-- I've done my research on Ethan, and he definately has plenty of sales, recognizeable ones too. On his website, it states that they are primarily looking for sci-fi/fantasy and children's books (mine is a YA contemporary fantasy). I'm having trouble finding any MG/YA sales for him though(though I have found a couple picture books). Anyone know of any? Is this maybe a market that he's looking to expand into maybe?

Good luck, he's a great agent

YAwriter72
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Kerry Cohern
Piper Banks
Marthe Jocelyn

Those are a few YA Authors repped by him. I'd include myself, but I haven't sold yet! LOL (I write YA UF and fantasy)

AuntB
01-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Thanks you guys!

Ethan got back to me today to say that he hoped to have it read pretty quickly... like in the NEXT NIGHT OR SO. I'm beyond blown away.

Oh, and YAwriter, best of luck on your submissions! I hope you get a pub contract for the new year!

AuntB
01-15-2010, 07:55 AM
So Ethan got back in touch with me today, not quite the "night or so" that he had mentioned, but still lightning fast by this industry's standard. He hasn't finished reading the full, but just checked in to say that he's definately still interested, and is continuing to read.

I'll definately take that. :)

rebobinar
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Congratulations, Aunt B! That's encouraging!!

AuntB
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks! I'm incredibly excited. He said on Friday that he would definitely finish it this weekend. No news yet though.

I do have to put one quick thing out there. In my last-minute, chaotic, cram-all-the-information-you-can-about-this-agent-into-brain frenzy, I've noticed something odd. The letter posted on John Scalzi's blog in December (linked to a few posts up), has appeared in several other places (a variation of the letter anyway). My only concern is that when googling him, the letter has showed up on some really random websites-- a gaming forum, fansites for various sci-fi series, etc. I guess I'm just confused because this agency is big, and gets tons of queries, so why paper this letter all over the internet? Granted, a lot of times, the letter has been reposted on someone elses site, but several don't seem that way.

In no way am I questioning the esteem of this agency, I'd be quite glad to be represented by them, but instead just pondering the reason behind this particular move.

Any thoughts?

rebobinar
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Thoughts:

1) Perhaps it's just being reproduced in those places
2) If not, perhaps he's looking for a particular type of client, so seeking them out in those places. If he's looking for sci/fi or YA boy books or things, that makes sense. Some agents read literary journals looking for clients to court, maybe he's looking for his clients elsewhere?

I thinks sometimes when we're used to so much rejection, we tend to look really critically at anything that might sort of resemble success. I'd say don't second guess - it seems like a great agency to me!

cubofaslan
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
To be honest, I am a little weirded out by the letter too. There's no mention of the letter on their website (why not?)

sciri
01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Not just that: the submission address is different! AuntB, have you submitted at the "fantasy" email address? Has anybody tried using the new address?

brimfire
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
If the letter was't legit, I would think we'd know by now. It's been around for a while now and on some prominent websites. Wouldn't the agency issue a warning if it was somebody else scamming?

Balthane
01-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Hello everyone. I was one of the people who sent to the fantasy email after reading the Scalzi blog. I did the research and saw the email on their website was different, but I sent it to the fantasy one anyway, because it seemed that particular call for submissions was geared towards fantasy/sci-fi.

I sent my query and first 3 chapters on 12/20 and haven't heard back. I was wondering if I should just assume that means it was rejected or should I takes it as they are swamp because of the holidays. Any opinions?

sciri
01-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Good luck, Balthane!
I too decided to give it a try and queried at the fantasy email address. If I do hear back I will post. I assume that the policy would be the same as for the general submissions, which they state on their website: no response after two weeks = no interest.
In your case though I wouldn't give up hopes just yet: there's the holidays in between, which may not count towards the two weeks... Also, if they got swamped by queries after the public appeal, it may take longer for them to get back to people...

Balthane
01-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Thanks sciri and good luck to you as well! I'll make sure to post here if I hear anything as well.

dragonjax
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
He reps Christopher Moore. That right there put him on the top of my list. :) He is a very impressive agent.

Actually, Christoper Moore is repped by Nicholas Ellison.

AuntB
01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I should have posted this sooner, but it was a crazy week at work.

I got my R from Ethan on Monday. He gave me plenty of notes, and was even kind enough to elaborate on some things when I asked. For my story in particular (not sure if this is the overall trend for him), he thought it would work better with a bit more realism and less focus on the fantasy, something more along the lines of paranormal. He did hit on one or two flaws that I was already aware of in the story (that I have re-written within an inch of my life, and decided that it is as good as it can be short of dramatically changing certain plotlines). I battled all week with the decision on whether or not to do those dramatic re-writes, but in the end decided that I like the story better with it's flaws than to cut out the things that cause the flaws. Very cryptic, I know.

I do have my MS out with several other agents still, and in my scarce free time, I'm still sending out the occasional query. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear from Ethan. My perception of him is that he knows exactly what he's looking for, and will give a solid, honest critique.

Also, for those who were asking earlier, I did submit using the fantasy email from the letter on Scalzi's blog. So, that email definitely works.

Nutellanut
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Hello :)

I joined the website today. I've visited a few times and I think it's a helpful resource for aspiring authors. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a question that I have (one that has been asked many times before, lol).

I sent out (snail mail) a children's book manuscript to the Ethan Ellenberg agency on Dec. 17, 2009. The website says that it takes 2 weeks to respond to an e-mail query. But, there's no mention (not that I've seen) of how long it takes to respond to snail mail. It has been little over 6 weeks now. Does it usually take longer to get a response for snail or would the two week rule apply here as well? Should I just assume that it's a rejection?

sciri
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Nutellanut, welcome!
Did you include an SASE with your snail mail query?

I love the name, BTW. I grew up where Nutella was born!!! :)

Nutellanut
02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi Nutellanut, welcome!
Did you include an SASE with your snail mail query?

I love the name, BTW. I grew up where Nutella was born!!! :)

Thanks, Sciri. I'm addicted to the stuff :)

Yes, I sent an SASE. Used a self-sealing envelope. Made sure I had the right address. Included a cover letter with my manuscript. Basically followed the guidelines on the website, but still haven't received a response. Is 6 weeks too long?

sciri
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
No. I still have a few SASE's out that I sent back in October... Some come back within days, others take their time...
I can't speak for Mr. Ellenberg though, as I have queried him twice, always via email.

Anaquana
02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Does anybody know if Ethan's policy of "after two weeks assume we're not interested" is a definite two weeks? Or has anybody received a request for more after that timeframe?

I'm at 2 1/2 weeks with him and I don't know if I should keep hoping to hear back or just toss him in the not interested pile.

Nutellanut
02-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Does anybody know if Ethan's policy of "after two weeks assume we're not interested" is a definite two weeks? Or has anybody received a request for more after that timeframe?

I'm at 2 1/2 weeks with him and I don't know if I should keep hoping to hear back or just toss him in the not interested pile.

I'm curious as well. I snail mailed him as opposed to email. And I wonder if the 2-week time frame stated in his website also applies to snail mail. I've heard that it takes snail mail a longer time.

For those of you who have had experience with the Ethan Ellenberg agency, could you shed some light on this matter? I mailed him my cover letter/manuscript/SASE (according to his submission guidelines) on Dec. 17 of 2009........it's been little over 6-weeks. Should I take it as a rejection?

Chumplet
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I would think it only applies to email queries. A snail mail query can take at up to a week to get there, sit in an inbox for a while, then the SASE could take the slow train back to you. If you enclosed an SASE in good faith, they should put their rejection slip inside and add it to the mail pile. After all, you spent the money on the stamp.

As for the 2 week limit on email queries, at least they give a time frame.

Twizzle
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
My data is old-last spring-so take it for what it's worth, but my snail response took a little under 3 mo.

A_Green_Leaf
02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I have a question, as I'm considering querying this agency. When I paste the sample chapters into the body of the email, do they have to be double-spaced? I realize the query and synopsis can be single-spaced, but normally manuscript pages are double-spaced. Unfortunately, I can't double-space with my email editor.

I found an agent recently (I believe it was Laurie McLean) who mentioned on her site that it was acceptable for the pasted pages to be single-spaced, but she's the only one I've ever seen note that.

I'd rather email, but if I am risking being seen as unprofessional by pasting pages single-spaced, I'll just snail mail it.

Thanks!

Nutellanut
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Today, I received my SASE from Ethan Ellenberg. It took a little over two months.

I opened it up and inside was my manuscript............with no feedback or response at all. Not even one of those standard/form responses.

I find that to be even more insulting.....to not even bother with sending some sort of response. :( I mean, isn't it? I did my research regarding manuscripts, cover letters, what have you. I typed up manuscript/cover letter according to guidelines. I followed the submission guidelines. Included a SASE...........and in the end, no feedback/response at all.

I'm not going let this deter me from pursuing my goals. This weekend, even though I have so many papers to grade and lesson plans to write, I will make some time for myself to send my manuscript to other agents. But I've definitely lost respect for Ethan Ellenberg.

sciri
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm not going let this deter me from pursuing my goals.

That's the spirit. Don't let it get to you!
Cheer up and move on. ;)

Nutellanut
02-21-2010, 02:48 AM
That's the spirit. Don't let it get to you!
Cheer up and move on. ;)

I'm trying to.

But on the spectrum of rejection, not receiving ANY sort of response at all is a pretty bad sign isn't it? What does that mean? That my story was abysmal to the point that it's not even worth fulfilling the formality of issuing a form rejection? Should I even bother emailing him and asking him about this? You expect better from professionals.

amergina
02-21-2010, 03:29 AM
My guess is that someone in his office forgot to enclose a letter with it. It can happen. Even agents and their staff (if they have one) are human. And, like the rest of us, they sometimes make mistakes.

I don't think you should take it as harsh criticism of your work.

sciri
02-21-2010, 05:00 AM
My guess is that someone in his office forgot to enclose a letter with it.
I agree, that's the most likely scenario. Or maybe it was so tiny you didn't even see it in there. Whenever I got the original query back in the SASE, the R was in a teeny tiny piece of paper folded inside that almost got tossed with the envelope.

I know the R stings, but don't try to read too much into it. Some people are lucky and get an offer right away, others get lots of rejections before they get the offer, regardless of the quality of their work.

ILove2Write
04-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Has anyone e-mailed this agency and gotten a response back? I'm wondering if it's better to snail mail or e-mail...although email is way cheaper for 50 pages.

Devil Ledbetter
04-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I have a question, as I'm considering querying this agency. When I paste the sample chapters into the body of the email, do they have to be double-spaced? I realize the query and synopsis can be single-spaced, but normally manuscript pages are double-spaced. Unfortunately, I can't double-space with my email editor.

I found an agent recently (I believe it was Laurie McLean) who mentioned on her site that it was acceptable for the pasted pages to be single-spaced, but she's the only one I've ever seen note that.

I'd rather email, but if I am risking being seen as unprofessional by pasting pages single-spaced, I'll just snail mail it.

Thanks!For email submissions, most agents seems to prefer block paragraphs single-spaced with a space between paragraphs, just like your paragraphs above.

To be sure it looks right, send yourself a test email. Another trick is to take the text you want to paste in, dump it in Notepad (to remove your word processor's formatting gunk). Be sure Notepad is not set to "word wrap" (format > word wrap > toggle to uncheck). Then copy and paste the text back into your email. This worked really well for me when Gmail and MS Word were having their own weird ideas about what formatting to apply.

Author or Princess
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
FWIW, I snail mailed according to website directions and got back my SASE with a form R - a card that included the phrase "Your material is not anything I wish to work with at this time" or something equally stinging. I saw the same R posted in a blog, so I know it's not just me, but still, ouch.

Total turn around: mailed on 3/25, received R on 4/22.

regdog
04-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Ouch indeed :Hug2:

Miss Plum
04-24-2010, 09:23 PM
on the spectrum of rejection, not receiving ANY sort of response at all is a pretty bad sign isn't it? What does that mean?

You are engaging in The Overthinking Game. It's something you will find yourself as a writer playing over and over. Agent hasn't responded to query in three weeks -- should I feel relieved that I wasn't rejected out of hand, or should I feel dejected that I'm possibly being ignored? Agent responded with a polite rejection -- does it mean she really liked my work but is just too busy to take on new clients, or does she think my work is so bad that she pities me? Looking at my website, I find that someone googled my name. Is it because some agent whom I queried is intrigued and wants to know more about me, or because some agent I queried thinks I'm a nutjob and is curious to see what lawsuits I'm named in?

This game has thousands of iterations, and is limited only by your imagination. Welcome to Purgatory!

Debeucci
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Ethan reviewed my manuscript the very day I submitted it, and asked for a two week exclusive. He came back with many recommendations on how to polish it. For the past 3 months, I have been diligently working on a rewrite, sending him updates once a month. He always replies the same day confirming that he received and read my email. He has been nothing but completely professional, and has been a valuable resource with assisting me in navigating the industry and finalizing my novel.I have just resubmitted the **new** final version back to him and hope to sign with him soon.He is a A++ agent and I, or anyone else, will be very lucky to have him represent me.

Jamiekswriter
07-28-2010, 02:06 AM
I snail mailed Ethan a query, synopsis, the 1st 50 pages and a #10 SASE on 4/15/10 and never heard back from him. But I didn't expect a response. If I recall correctly, he says right on his website that if you don't hear from him in 2 weeks, then he's not interested.

madderblue
09-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Just read on Publishers Lunch that Denise Little will be joining
the Ethan Ellenberg Agency.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/free/

miamyselfandi
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Just read on Publishers Lunch that Denise Little will be joining
the Ethan Ellenberg Agency.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/free/

And seen on twitter, she has gone live with a website and submission info:

http://deniselittle.wordpress.com/

blacbird
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I know the R stings, but don't try to read too much into it. Some people are lucky and get an offer right away, others get lots of rejections before they get the offer, regardless of the quality of their work.

And some never get an offer.

Marika
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I queried Denise this morning and got a request for a full. But it looks like she's requesting a lot of fulls.

Jamiekswriter
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I queried Denise this a.m. too. She asked for a full within 10 minutes! Wheeeeeee!

honeysock
09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
She's got my full too. I have 5 other fulls out, but she's now my #1 choice.

I read where she reads a book a day. Maybe the wait won't be too ridiculous.

ChelseaWriter
09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Add me to that list - full request in 10 minutes. Yay! Best of luck to everyone!!

GeorgeK
09-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to.

But on the spectrum of rejection, not receiving ANY sort of response at all is a pretty bad sign isn't it? What does that mean?.

But, you did get some sort of response. They sent it back. Many places wouldn't even do that. They won't even tell you if your ms ever even arrived.

Monomaniac
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
On her website it says she recieved 650 submissions in two days!

Ruth2
09-10-2010, 06:10 PM
When querying Denise, did you send just a query or a query, synopsis and first 50 pages?

Jamiekswriter
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
She just wants the query at first :D

Ruth2
09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
She just wants the query at first :D

Thanks!!!!

miamyselfandi
09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
On her website it says she recieved 650 submissions in two days!

And we wonder why some agents don't send rejections.

Monomaniac
09-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Anyone get a rejection from Denise yet?

miamyselfandi
09-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Anyone get a rejection from Denise yet?

According to QT, 55 logged queries, 26 requested fulls, 2 rejections (one helpful) and the rest remain unanswered.

Monomaniac
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
According to QT, 55 logged queries, 26 requested fulls, 2 rejections (one helpful) and the rest remain unanswered.

It looks like she has requested fulls from 93% of the people she has responded to. If that statistic is the same for all 650 who submitted, then she has a lot of fulls to look at.

miamyselfandi
09-11-2010, 07:54 PM
So far, she seems to be updating using her blog:

http://deniselittle.wordpress.com/

It has some extremely helpful business info on it, too.

Kmarshall
09-12-2010, 04:31 AM
I sent mine this PM. No reply yet, but it IS Saturday :)

Erin
09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Sent my query on Friday and got full request today.

Kmarshall
09-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow! Congrats. I'm in a weird place. I've sent out a couple dozen queries, and, oddly, the requests for full have come from a major publisher, a top-notch agent (who asked for revision and resubmit, which I just did), and a HUGE company with a publishing arm. Most agents, though pass. Can't figure THAT out :) Same query too.

ether
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Denise replied to me on her blog saying she'll be sending out rejections for queries she's passing on, and if you haven't heard anything after 10 weeks, you can follow up. :) 10 weeks isn't too bad considering how many she got swamped with in just those few days.

I sent mine in on 9/12.

Kmarshall
09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm reading her blog. I LOVE her attitude. I sent my query on 9/12 too.

ether
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm reading her blog. I LOVE her attitude. I sent my query on 9/12 too.

So do I! It's refreshing to see someone so new and upbeat about the whole thing.

Kmarshall
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Good luck to you!

Kmarshall
09-15-2010, 10:08 PM
A polite, informative and helpful no to a full--within a few hours. From her comments it's obvious she read enough to nail what she'd like to see improved. I think this woman's a class act. Good luck to the rest of you.

Ruth2
09-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Ack! I sent it twice to her!!! *headdesk* Oh, well... (goes to wipe egg off face...)

honeysock
09-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Ack! I sent it twice to her!!! *headdesk* Oh, well... (goes to wipe egg off face...)

If it makes you feel any better, Ruth, she replied to my query twice, said she received it twice. (I checked my sent box; it only shows up once.) At any rate, maybe she'll think it's her email acting up.

And she she still requested a full full from me me. : )

ether
09-16-2010, 12:18 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Ruth, she replied to my query twice, said she received it twice. (I checked my sent box; it only shows up once.) At any rate, maybe she'll think it's her email acting up.

And she she still requested a full full from me me. : )

She's such a nice lady, I really doubt an email hiccup is going to deter her from requesting material she's interested in.

Honeysock, can I ask what day you queried?

Ruth2
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Aw, thanks, ya'll. Alas, I'd reworked the query so who knows? It was an honest mistake.

Good luck with your queries. :)

Kmarshall
09-16-2010, 06:38 AM
She's great and very understanding. I doubt you'll have any problems

Ruth2
09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
She's great and very understanding. I doubt you'll have any problems

Thanks, Kmarshall. :)

honeysock
09-16-2010, 07:38 AM
She's such a nice lady, I really doubt an email hiccup is going to deter her from requesting material she's interested in.

Honeysock, can I ask what day you queried?

Sept. 8. Same day request for a full.

Kmarshall
09-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Ruth-- Even though she sent an r, she was pointed out both strengths and weaknesses AND then recommended a book to help. She took a lot of time. If you explain what happened I'm sure she'll understand.

KelleyVitollo
09-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Ruth-- Even though she sent an r, she was pointed out both strengths and weaknesses AND then recommended a book to help. She took a lot of time. If you explain what happened I'm sure she'll understand.

Wow. She sounds fantastic. That was very nice.

Erin
09-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Such a pleasure and rarity to see an agent who takes an extra effort to communicate. I sent her my full on Monday and she wrote me yesterday to say she got it, read the first chapter and saw promise, but needs a bit more time to read thru it.

amergina
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Such a pleasure and rarity to see an agent who takes an extra effort to communicate. I sent her my full on Monday and she wrote me yesterday to say she got it, read the first chapter and saw promise, but needs a bit more time to read thru it.

Hmm. I sent her my requested full back on the 9th, and never got a confirmation. I wonder now if she got it.... (eek)

Stew21
09-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I also got a confirmation that she received my book. You may want to check with her.
I queried on the 9th. She requested on the 9th. I sent it on the 10th. She confirmed receipt on the 10th.

Sakura-chan
09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Hmm. I sent her my requested full back on the 9th, and never got a confirmation. I wonder now if she got it.... (eek)

Same for me. I'm wondering if I should ask now if she got it.

Kmarshall
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Think she's backlogged. She didn't respond to mine that she received it. Only after she reviewed it. I'd sit tight.

Kmarshall
09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Maybe reply to something on the blog. I noted someplace that I sent the requested material in.

amergina
09-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, I resent the sub with a note of apology. Hopefully, she won't be too annoyed if she did get it the first time. :-/

(I swear, querying and submitting are going to give me an ulcer.)

Edited to add: Got a response that she got it. So, whew on that. But ugh on resending. I probably ought to have just waited...

Preacher'sWife
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Gaaaah! Wordpress is blocked at my school. Could someone post Denise's submission info and address? Pretty please??

ether
09-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I know me and some others queried back over the weekend and she's sent out both requests and rejects since then... I'm wondering if some of ours got stuck in SPAM or if we should keep waiting.

Monomaniac
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I know me and some others queried back over the weekend and she's sent out both requests and rejects since then... I'm wondering if some of ours got stuck in SPAM or if we should keep waiting.

I would just sit back and try to forget about it. She said it was going to take as long as six weeks. The longer it takes for a response from her the better, since it could mean you are in her re-read pile.

Ruth2
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM

Yep, me too. Sent in a query and .... nada. I'm figuring she's just backlogged. (I hope...)

Preacher'sWife
09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the pm's about Denise Little's submission requirements!

ether
09-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep, me too. Sent in a query and .... nada. I'm figuring she's just backlogged. (I hope...)

She definitely is, but she did say she'd get to them all. So we'll hear something when she gets to them. :)

Marika
09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I submitted a full per her request and didn't hear back.

Erin
09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm sure she'll get back to everyone, and she's making her way thru the subs and queries. From the number of fulls she's requested, she's sounds swamped.

ether
09-17-2010, 04:14 AM
Full request from Denise from my 9/12 query, yay!

Erin
09-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Full request from Denise from my 9/12 query, yay!

YAY!!! We can all wait together!!!!

Sakura-chan
09-17-2010, 04:45 AM

Same for me. I'm wondering if I should ask now if she got it.

Good thing I didn't resend everything. I just got a confirmation from her that she got my full I sent on the 10th...and now I'm realizing what that means. (I think I forgot how to breathe. Let the nail-biting begin.)

Ruth2
09-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Yay, y'all!! I got a full request too!!!! Good luck everyone!!

KelleyVitollo
09-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Yay, y'all!! I got a full request too!!!! Good luck everyone!!

What day did you query, Ruth?

Marika
09-17-2010, 05:52 AM
BTW, I sent my full to Denise on the 9th, and she let me know tonight that she received it. So I think she's just a bit swamped.

ether
09-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Denise just updated her blog:

I’ve gotten through all the thousands of queries, and requested the manuscripts I plan to look at. I replied to everyone personally.

If you haven’t had a response from me, something got lost in transit. Resend.

Robyn
09-17-2010, 06:17 AM
I queried her this evening and got a request for a full within mins. Sent it and got confirmation from her that she got it. Now to wait :)

She has my new epic fantasy :)

KelleyVitollo
09-17-2010, 06:35 AM
I got a full request too. Haven't been confirmed that she got it yet.

Preacher'sWife
09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Ditto. Got a full request eighteen minutes after querying. Just sent it. :)

Corinne Duyvis
09-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Query sent on the 10th, got a full request today. Not getting my hopes up, based on the huge amount of materials she's requested, but it's still nice! :)

Preacher'sWife
09-19-2010, 08:23 AM
So, I realized tonight that I sent an old, marked up/partially edited manuscript instead of my pristine, freshly edited new one to Denise the other evening. I resent the new one just a bit ago with an apology and explanation. Denise got right back to me, told me she killed the old one and would be looking at the new one instead! Whew! **wiping sweat from brow**

Wayne K
09-19-2010, 08:35 AM
So, I realized tonight that I sent an old, marked up/partially edited manuscript instead of my pristine, freshly edited new one to Denise the other evening. I resent the new one just a bit ago with an apology and explanation. Denise got right back to me, told me she killed the old one and would be looking at the new one instead! Whew! **wiping sweat from brow**

At least you didn't address it to Ellen Ethenberg :D

Preacher'sWife
09-20-2010, 01:26 AM
At least you didn't address it to Ellen Ethenberg :D

Dear Lord, I bet he got a laugh out of that one!

Mr. Anonymous
09-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Wayne, did Ellen respond?

Got a full req from Denise. Seems she's been requesting from a lot of AWers. :)

Saanen
09-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Denise requested a full from me too, about an hour after I sent the query. Considering how many fulls she's requesting, I think she's going to have a lot of really good projects to choose from pretty soon. *gnaws nails*

I just started querying this project, though, so I'm really pleased to get a full request right out of the gate.

Empress Awesome
09-20-2010, 02:08 AM
I sent my query to Denise at 2am this morning and received a request for the full 14 hours later. Nice! :)

She's really requesting a lot of people, though, isn't she? Guess she wants to get her list of clients rolling.

miamyselfandi
09-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Is anyone getting rejections yet? If she's reading this much, they might be going out...

honeysock
09-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Is anyone getting rejections yet? If she's reading this much, they might be going out...

I've been watching her blog. She plowed through all of her "thousands" of queries (her word) and responded to all of them in a matter of days. She's a speed reader, apparently--she used to read two books a day. So my theory is, she'll go through her pile of several hundred manuscripts at the rate of about 8-10 a day, starting about now, since she's cleared out most of her inbox of queries, and since it seems signing on some clients is her priority right now. I'm guessing she won't read all the way through most of those manuscripts. (I wouldn't.)

I'm also guessing--pure speculation here--that she'll pick something like a top 20 and go from there. She seems pretty hungry, and she seems to know what she likes. So I doubt the wait will be horrendous. She doesn't have current clients demanding attention, and as far as I know, she doesn't have another job.

I obviously have waaaay too much time on my hands.

ChelseaWriter
09-20-2010, 04:21 AM
Honeysock - I agree with your assessment. I think that's exactly how she'll be going about it. I've read on so many agent blogs that even if they request a full, they'll stop reading by about page 30-ish, if they know it's not "for them." Makes sense to me...

I think it's fun, seeing all these people (myself, included) get full requests from the same agent! Nerve-wracking, but fun!

Wayne K
09-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Dear Lord, I bet he got a laugh out of that one!

Wayne, did Ellen respond?

Got a full req from Denise. Seems she's been requesting from a lot of AWers. :)

It wasn't my query, but it's my favorite story on AW. My gaff was "Query for me memoir" in the subject line :D

Wayne K
09-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Funny thing: I didn't get an arrrrgh, I got a request for a full...figure it out :Shrug:

Mr. Anonymous
09-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Maybe the agent thought you were Irish and/or a leprechaun?

ChelseaWriter
09-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Or pirate? LOL - isn't today "Speak Like a Pirate Day?"

Wayne K
09-20-2010, 04:44 AM
That it is. It was an editor from ECWPRESS, so it was pretty cool. It was my first full request

ether
09-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Agreeing with the other assessments here. I haven't heard of a single agent who will keep reading a requested MS if by page number-x they aren't enjoying it. A story they want to rep will be a story they can't put down.

Stew21
09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
http://deniselittle.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/full-submissions/#comments

interesting.

Empress Awesome
09-20-2010, 11:52 PM

interesting.

Awesome! At least now I can quit dancing around the phone every 5 mins. I hope I get a yes!

Crzywritergrl
09-21-2010, 01:37 AM
BIG sigh of relief. I did put contact info on my ms. It is standard, but still... had to check just in case!

Renee Collins
09-21-2010, 03:14 AM

interesting.

*checks manuscript*

*slams head against desk several times*

Paul
09-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Maybe the agent thought you were Irish and/or a leprechaun?

Wait - she likes Leprechauns???

*furious scribblin*

Marian Perera
09-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Denise replies fast to queries. Sent a full as well. :)

Each time I send out a full, though, I have to gather some more agents' names for queries. It's like a ritual with me. That way, a rejection is just barely cushioned by the fact that I've sent out more queries. It's like in cartoons where a character dives off an eighty-foot-tall platform, but there's a glass of water on the ground far below.

elindsen
09-21-2010, 08:39 PM
does anyone know how fast denise replies to fulls? i woke up to a full request and now im re-reading the manuscript for any last minute changes. also is it seeming like her norm to ask fulls? so not get my hopes up.

ether
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
does anyone know how fast denise replies to fulls? i woke up to a full request and now im re-reading the manuscript for any last minute changes. also is it seeming like her norm to ask fulls? so not get my hopes up.

Read back on the thread a little. She's brand new and has no clients yet, so she's requesting a TON of stuff. I would imagine she has one or two hundred fulls to look through.

She also wrote in her blog yesterday:

When I get to the bottom of the pile (I’m guessing it’ll be around October 6), you can expect to have acceptances and rejections going out on the full manuscripts.

Since she just requested yours, I would assume sometime after October 6th is when you'll get a response. She's got a lot to get through and she's also moving right now.

EDIT: QT has her down for 85 full MSs right now. This doesn't include the entirety of those submitting to her, of course.

Stew21
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Denise replies fast to queries. Sent a full as well. :)

Each time I send out a full, though, I have to gather some more agents' names for queries. It's like a ritual with me. That way, a rejection is just barely cushioned by the fact that I've sent out more queries. It's like in cartoons where a character dives off an eighty-foot-tall platform, but there's a glass of water on the ground far below.

I do the same thing. send a full, query 3 more agents. :)

I have three fulls out now. After the last request I haven't had time to get more agent names lined up. Looks like I better get on it. :)

honeysock
09-21-2010, 09:01 PM
From ether: "QT has her down for 85 full MSs right now. This doesn't include the entirety of those submitting to her, of course."

Ms. Little's blog stated a few days ago that she had just finished with over 1000 queries. Her request rate for fulls on QT is 79%. Unless my math is bad, if her request rate is similar for non-QTers, then she has far more than a 85 manuscripts to read right now. More like 800.

amergina
09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Denise has updated her blog again:

I’ve dug down to the bottom of my emails again. If you haven’t had a note from me about something you sent me, resend.

Also, she's already picked up 5 clients--2 new authors

ether
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Are any of those 5 on AW? If so, congrats!!

EDIT: Someone asked Denise how many clients she was looking to take on and she replied:

Depends on how much good stuff I find, Probably between 30 and 60.
If you’re doing the math, that means you have a roughly 10 percent shot at making the cut right now, if I requested your full. Sounds horrible, but it’s actually really good. Most good agents only pick up one or two new clients a year.

elindsen
09-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I saw that.

Mr. Anonymous
09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm game for 10%. :)

ether
09-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm game for 10%. :)

Me too. ;) Not bad odds compared to querying most agents.

zxxc
09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I have queried Ethan Ellenberg through several different agents at different times but have netted only rejections. I would say you should be very pleased with yourself if you have had an offer of representation from him. He is, I think, very legit and on the up and up from the little I know of him. I'd be thrilled but then it doesn't take a whole lot to thrill me though an offer of representation would be more than sufficient especially from one of the "biggies". zxxc

ether
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Another blog update from Denise. If you sent your query before last night, you should've had a response. If not, resend.

She's signed a total of 6 clients now, but the bulk of her responses will go out on/around October 6th. She still has about 450 fulls to go through.

Lindzy1954
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
We just got a full request from her as well :)

Maddie
09-23-2010, 12:21 AM
From my query 9/18, she asked for a full on 9/19.

Mia Moore
09-23-2010, 02:59 AM
My full request came a record breaking 4 minutes after I sent the query. This woman is impressive.
I wouldn't want to have to read 450 manuscripts. Even on my best day. Couldn't do it.
Nope...

Vandal
09-23-2010, 06:19 AM
It took her a week to request mine.

The task ahead is Herculean, to say the least.

Maddie
09-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Think about it though - regardless of whether there's 450+ manuscripts, Denise will know within the first 5-20 pages if what she's reading is what she likes or can sell. An agent can separate the wheat from the chaff pretty quickly.

Duchessmary
09-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Hmm sent a query today. We shall see!!!

ether
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Think about it though - regardless of whether there's 450+ manuscripts, Denise will know within the first 5-20 pages if what she's reading is what she likes or can sell. An agent can separate the wheat from the chaff pretty quickly.

Exactly. She's said in her blog she usually knows within the first twenty pages, but she might flip around in the MS a bit to see if there's something she's 'missing' (if the story is just starting slow and gets better later, etc).

Even reading the first 20 pages pf 450 MSs equals out to 9,000 pages, so she definitely has her work cut out for her.

Marian Perera
09-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm just curious. Has anyone had a query rejected by Denise?

ether
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm just curious. Has anyone had a query rejected by Denise?

There've been a few over on QT, as well as a few who submitted their fulls and had them rejected shortly after.

Kmarshall
09-23-2010, 07:00 PM
She asked me to revise and resubmit.

honeysock
09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
She asked me to revise and resubmit.

Congrats Kmarshall! That's very promising.

Kmarshall
09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks. She was very specific too! I just need to buckle down and TRY to look at the MS critically.

Lindzy1954
09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks. She was very specific too! I just need to buckle down and TRY to look at the MS critically.

Wow, that's fantastic (not to mention relatively fast it seems)! Great news! When did you send her your full?

Marika
09-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Kmarshall-

Long Distance Drive blog had some great stuff on R&Rs a few months back. Here's a link: http://www.kristindmiller.com/2010/07/on-revise-and-resubmits.html

I hope it helps.

Kmarshall
09-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Wow! Thank you guys. I sent th full last Wednesday, I think. She replied really fast. We'll see. Now it's up to me to deliver.

Mr. Anonymous
09-24-2010, 01:49 AM
congrats, Kmarshall. Best of luck. :)

madderblue
09-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Good luck, Kmarshall!

Preacher'sWife
09-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Wow! Thank you guys. I sent th full last Wednesday, I think. She replied really fast. We'll see. Now it's up to me to deliver.

Congrats K! How soon after you sent in your full did she ask for r & r? Also, what genre is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Ruth2
09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
She requested my full on the 17th. I was at the airport heading out of country so I scrambled to get it to her sine I knew I'd have a bad internet connection. No news yet. My fingers are crossed!

Good luck to everyone here!

Kmarshall
09-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Fantasy. She asked for the R&r within hours. That was last week though, and I'd guess she has a lot more coming in now.

KDexter
09-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Are any of those 5 on AW? If so, congrats!!

Yes! Not sure if I'm part of the original five or the later-mentioned sixth, but I signed with Denise last week. She is so wonderful and positive, and I'm looking forward to what's to come.

ether
09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes! Not sure if I'm part of the original five or the later-mentioned sixth, but I signed with Denise last week. She is so wonderful and positive, and I'm looking forward to what's to come.

Oh my gosh. YAY!! I'm so happy for you! I was hoping at least one of them was an AWer. :) What genre was yours?

Still waiting to hear back on mine! I know the poor woman had a huge move this last weekend so I hope she's letting herself get some rest.

amergina
09-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Wow! Congrats! *throws confetti* :hooray:

honeysock
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Congratulations KDexter. I think you have yourself one fabulous person there as your agent. I wish you both much success and lightning-fast sales!

EagerReader
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Congrats, KDexter!! Keep those success stories coming!

Jamiekswriter
09-27-2010, 09:39 PM
:hooray:So excited for you! Congrats! :snoopy:

KelleyVitollo
09-27-2010, 09:40 PM

That's great. Big congrats to you!!

Diana Hignutt
09-27-2010, 09:58 PM
A few years ago now, Ethan contacted me out of the blue when my last small press title made it to Amazon's early adopters. He emailed me and asked to see my two published books. He was also the guy that said that though I was incredibly talented, the publishing world was not ready for me (and my outragreous and often over-shadowing personal story) at the time.

He's as legit as they come. Hopefully, my time will come soon. Carry on.

Erin
09-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Awesome! Congrats!!!

Mia Moore
09-28-2010, 02:05 AM

You must be off-the-charts happy right about now! Enjoy this very special moment. Congrats and best to you!

Marika
09-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Congratulations, KDexter!! I so happy for you.

Ruth2
09-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Yay, KDexter!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Empress Awesome
09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Congrats, Dex!

Boy, I really wish she would make calls as she reads. I know she wants to make sure she picks the right ones, but it sucks to know the date she's going to make the decision. I prefer to be in the dark... the anticipation of knowing when it's gonna happen is killer. Like Christmas in October.

madderblue
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Congratulations! And welcome aboard. You were one of her perfect fits. ^^v

thefreshchuff
09-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I sent Denise a query for my adult epic fantasy yesterday, and received the request for the full today. Very exciting! (I actually read the email requesting the full and fell back asleep, and had stress dreams that I emailed her back blank word documents, old drafts, an entire novel about a pond that was leaking that I hadn't actually written myself --- finally I got out of bed and made myself reply to the email for real. LOL)

ETA: I heard people are getting emails when they send in their fulls. I'm wondering, how long did it take you to get a notice of receipt?

ETA2: ha, nevermind, just got the email. I will stop editing this comment now. XD

themanda
09-29-2010, 01:14 AM
congrats, dexter! you must be over the moon. what have you heard back from her after you signed? has she started actually working on your project yet, or is she focusing on fleshing out the rest of her list and moving? i know the anticipation of the wait is keeeeling me. :)

ether
09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
From Denise's blog:

As of 7 PM CST today [September 29th], I am current on my email. I should have replied to you if you queried me, or if you sent a manuscript, I should have sent an email to tell you it arrived.