Create Space vs. Lulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering why isn't Create Space more popular. I went through major headaches trying to format a book to upload to Lulu, but Create Space was so much easier. Prices are comparable and CS has some perks too. Am I missing something totally obvious here?

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Createspace is newer and it offers less options (no hardbacks, etc.)

I went with cs over lulu myself and have been quite satisfied. The royalty payments are paid on a prompt monthly basis too, which I like. :)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
So it's mostly that they're not popular enough?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Well, it looks like CS has an up front cost, which Lulu doesn't, unless you want distribution.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
CS does not have an upfront cost, but you can opt to buy into the ProPlan, which is $40 and lowers the price of the title to you, in addition to raising your royalty.

But you can publish for free, and they give you and ISBN and get you onto Amazon for free.

However, they don't get you on Barnes and Noble or any other outlets. Just Amazon.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Lulu does, but you have to pay for it. Last I checked, it was like $100 or so? I'm not sure. Someone else here who uses lulu could probably give you a better idea.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I'm working with Lulu on a project, for which I plan to make copies privately of works I have... as far as ease of uploading and formatting... I found it to be simple simon!! They have templates and I found them to be dead on accurate. I've never used Create Space, so I can't compare... just wanted to comment how easy Lulu was for uploading and formatting. I love that I had do hardbacks with Lulu.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
Question

I'd like to know how the whole cost thing relates between the two.

Suppose you prepare a book through Lulu. Let's say it costs 8$ to produce. Now here's the question: When it goes on Amazon, isn't it true that they take a cut of the price, like 45%? So in other words, if your book costs 8$ to produce at Lulu, one must also subtracts another 4$ of profit (Amazon's cut)? Therefore, if you want to make money, you have to price the book over 12 dollars.

Is that correct?

Tara Stone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to use CreateSpace when I self-publish my books. I heard great things about Lulu years ago, but lately it seems like everything I hear about them is negative. I've been impressed with the books I've seen from CreateSpace, and the Amazon connection is useful.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
CreateSpace did an offer last year to print a free copy of your NaNo book, so I'd imagine they'll do that again this year.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I must have been looking at some other package. Well, it looks like CS is a much better deal than LULU. Cheaper fixed costs per book, and a cheaper distribution to Amazon.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Actually, that's even cheaper than some small press printers I've inquired...but is the rub in the shipping and handling? I couldn't find shipping and handling rates. Can anyone tell me what they charge (or provide a link to charges) for shipping?

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Shipping's horrible internationally--like $20+ I hear.

In the U.S., though, it's like $3.50.

Captain Jack

Starving Artist and Author
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that's even cheaper than some small press printers I've inquired...but is the rub in the shipping and handling? I couldn't find shipping and handling rates. Can anyone tell me what they charge (or provide a link to charges) for shipping?

For shipping directly to me for sale from my website I pay $0.51 per book, I have only ordered shipments of 30 each and they come in one box .... I am in Florida and the books are printed in S. Carolina so that may effect the rates, but overall, for bulk orders it's not bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.