Being the mom is weird.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, the girls wanted little insulated soup containers this year for their lunch bags. Fine, right? At dawn we're gifted with a gorgeous, crisp morning and I thought it would be a good day to break in the new soup sets.

And I did. And now everyone's gone. And I have a serving of cream of chicken with mushroom soup staring up at me with a threatening skim of promise to go cold and yuck in the next ten minutes.

So I'm eating creamy chicken soup at 7:45 in the morning with my coffee. It's confused my palate so badly, I think I may need to go back to bed.

What things have you said or done, as a parent, that bent your brain and your common sense?

Reaction score
Not quite the same thing and possibly OT, but when I'm in town I find myself staring at price tags and going, "HOW much?"

I'm channelling my gran years after she died. So does it count if I (grand)parent myself?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cream of chicken soup . . . part of a healthy, nutritious breakfast.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say I'm fond of the 'cream' part, but for goodness sake, make your own soup! What Peaches said about prices holds double-true for a store bought can! It's highway robbery; A pot, some veggies and chicken bits and you can cut that price by about eighty percent and know exactly what your kids are eating...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm evolving into my parents slowly. I'm already a thermostat nazi. Even though I still leave lights on in every room, and linger too long with the fridge door open.

ETA - nothing weird yet, but I'm sure that will change when the baby arrives.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The first time I yelled up the stairs, "Turn that damn noise down!" I nearly had a stroke. My children were inflicting rap upon me!

Hell--at least I had taste in music. I only inflicted The Dead Kennedys and the Clash and the Circle Jerks on my parents.

But yeah: that was a horrible moment and one I thought I'd be too hip to ever succumb to.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I've become worse than my parents. And I'm proud of it. I always wanted to be a crotchety old curmudgeon by the time I was 35.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
... that bent your brain and your common sense?

what bent my brain was that they sent us home.
alone.
with a baby!

wtf?

no instruction manual either!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
but for goodness sake, make your own soup!

Oh I do! I love to make my own soup and I do it all the time. I just didn't have any of the last batch left.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a mashed potato sandwich for breakfast. I might be permanently dented. My children have broken me.

Reaction score
Please. You eat peanut butter on Oreos and think Scottish seagulls are pigeons. You were brokeded long since.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I only inflicted The Dead Kennedys and the Clash and the Circle Jerks on my parents.

I can't vouch for if that's going to help with being a better Mom or not, but with those kinda credentials - I want you on the Board of Education! Yes! Finally! Another brilliant mind! =)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
You know I'm not a parent, but I just wanted to say that I have an angry stomach this morning that is not helped by the thought of mushroom skim.

Ew. Thanks for that ;) :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Please. You eat peanut butter on Oreos and think Scottish seagulls are pigeons. You were brokeded long since.
Yeah, but I've had kids for ten years. I used to be okay. Sort of.

And it's certainly not my fault that Scottish seagulls make mutant pidgeon noises. To my credit, I realized my error as soon as I saw the winged rats.

Reaction score
Yeah, but I've had kids for ten years. I used to be okay. Sort of.

And it's certainly not my fault that Scottish seagulls make mutant pidgeon noises. To my credit, I realized my error as soon as I saw the winged rats.
Defend your brokededness all you like, lady. My smear campaign continues apace.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our daughter had a friend, Chloe, sleep over last weekend. In the morning, I made pancakes for breakfast. Chloe likes her pancakes with icing sugar, apparently - not maple syrup. We had no icing sugar.

So, she went to her backup plan - she covered the pancake with a thin, shimmering layer of - yes - Vegemite.

Then she spent fifteen minutes cutting the once steaming, now flaccid disk into about forty pieces.

I felt strange not being the weird one, at least for half an hour.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, she went to her backup plan - she covered the pancake with a thin, shimmering layer of - yes - Vegemite.
Aaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes! My brain! My imagination! It buuuuuuuuuuurrns!

I do hate you.

Now it's permanent.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I've never had the good sense to eat any particular food only at it's proper meal time.

When my daughter asks for fish sticks for breakfast, we both have fish sticks. Now that the baby's big enough, she'd probably eat fish sticks, too. It' s probably healthier than bacon and sausage.

I'm just an odd eater anyway. I turn my husband's stomach all the time.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found it pretty freaky to hear the echoes of my mother.

Last fall my thirteen year old came walking into the kitchen holding a strand of silk with a spider dangling at the end. "Hey Mom, what kind of spider is this?"

My two youngest and I were in the process of making cookies, and all turned around to see.
He's standing there, looking earnest, while the conspicuously shiny black spider with dainty legs slowly makes its way up the strand towards his fingers.
The first thing out of my mouth when the immediate shock wore off, was, "Whose house did you grow up in? If you don't know what it is, don't pick it up!" (Mother's cardinal rule)

After thirteen years, you would think he could recognize the alarm in my voice, but he continues, still holding the silk. "But what kind is it?"

At that point my five and ten year old both chime in, "It's a black widow, you idiot! Put it down!"

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think the biggest one for me still was dropping my daughter off at university about 300 miles from home and saying, "You'll be fine." She might as well have been 3 months old. In my head, I was screaming, "For the love of God, NO! Don't do this! Don't drive away!"

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You spend possibly months --and in my cases, probably years, teaching children to potty train. Once you succeed, you spend at least a few months getting them to realize, "It's OKAY. I DON'T HAVE TO SEE THE POOP!"

On a related note, I really felt like less of a human being every time I sniffed at a diapered baby butt to see if I needed to make a changing stop.

It stripped away a little piece of my soul that never came back.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite was shouting "My wife is having a baby RIGHT NOW" at a hospital receptionist. There was a ten second pause and then a flood of midwives, nurses and doctors hit the corridor.