Gathering Books for Winter?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Gathered Nuts?

I’m Looking for suggestions as to what to read come this winter (it’s almost 50 degrees F on the porch and it’s the middle of the afternoon!!) What I don’t need are stories filled with fantastic creatures or stories with & detailed sex scenes - and obviously one should therefore conclude that books filled with fantastic creatures having long drawn out sex scenes are also right off the list* - I’d prefer something thought provoking, contemporary, and perhaps leaning some the literary side of the spectrum.

Any thoughts?

*I mean no disrespect for those writers of fantastic creatures or long drawn out sex scenes - it’s just not my thing.

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
where do you stand on sparkling vampires?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
where do you stand on sparkling vampires?

Their backs if possible, they complain if I try standing anywhere else...

(something to do with my heels...)

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb at the moment. I know it's not new but I'm enjoying it a great deal, and it seems to fit your requirements. And at some 900 pages, it's quite meaty.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already read them . . .

The Stranger

To Kill a Mockingbird

In Cold Blood

Love in the Time of Cholera

The Bean Trees

The Snow Leopard

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You can't go wrong reading the classics, that's for sure. Or, perhaps give yourself an AW treat and pick up some of the literature your peers on this forum have published. A new and recent favorite of mine is Maestro's The Pacific Between.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb at the moment. I know it's not new but I'm enjoying it a great deal, and it seems to fit your requirements. And at some 900 pages, it's quite meaty.
My sister gave me that book a few weeks ago.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I recommend Magnus Mills and Murakami... almost anything, but mostly, Restraint of Beasts and Kafka on the Shore, respectively.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I tried to read this book twice. It just didn't hold my interest. But then again, I'm perfectly willing to read books with fantastical creatures having long drawn out sex scenes and sparkly vampires. I'm a brat. I expect entertainment.

For other reading, I re-read Wuthering Heights last month and I liked it much more as an adult than I did as a teen. Just started Water for Elephants but haven't really got wrapped up in it yet. Enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale and The Kite Runner immensely. I'm eclectic.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Also, highly suggest, The Caine Mutiny by Wouk, Middlesex by Eugenides, and If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot. White Fang. I read it when I was a kid and then read it again with my son. I loved it both times.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I will be too busy this winter! Le sigh. In Africa for the month of December and in Mexico for March. NO reading time.

But I can suggest a few good books!

ANYTHING by Michael Chabon...but particularly Wonder Boys. Catherine Bush's Minus Time. Bohumil Hrabal's Too Loud a Solitude. Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Clock Without Hands by Carson McCullers. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews.

I could go on forever...but these should do for now.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

That is a fucking great book. Sorry...but the f-shot was necessary to get my point across.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i prefer Mixed Nuts...but that's just me.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I stand corrected. Your pool of Steve Martin knowledge runs much deeper than mine. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh. I stand corrected. Your pool of Steve Martin knowledge runs much deeper than mine. :)

speaking of which...

i have a book to add. The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. i adored Shopgirl...but Pleasure is his real opus thus far. I thoroughly enjoyed the quirky character. awesome read.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OH MY GOOD GOD! Did I just RERAIL a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????

I must be coming down with something?!