PDA

View Full Version : While the boards were down...

Sarita
07-13-2005, 06:56 AM
What did you do while the boards were down? Finish your 120,000 word manuscript? Pump out 20 articles? Spend time with loved ones? Read the paper?

I want to know!

JoeEkaitis
07-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Rolled up in a ball in a corner of the room and whimpered like a frightened puppy while refusing food and drink.

Or sumpin' like that.

TemlynWriting
07-13-2005, 07:06 AM
I've been cleaning my house and doing homemaking chores whilst suffering from AW withdrawals. And reading.

My husbands words: "That's one way to get things done." (That was in reference to the boards being down, and not distracting me.)

LOL!

Oh, and I've written a bit here and there. :)

JennaGlatzer
07-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Answered 3,391 e-mails from people who wanted to know why they were banned. ;)

TemlynWriting
07-13-2005, 07:25 AM

Jenna -- I thought about e-mailing you a few times, just to check on you, but figured you were probably inundated with panic e-mails like those you mentioned above. :Hug2:

Sarita
07-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Jenna, can we change your user title to Sainted Email Reader? Or Maybe St. Email? :) Thanks for your hard work to get things back up and running.

Dawno
07-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Most productive work day I've had since I found AW.

shhh...don't tell the boss!!

samgail
07-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Forbidden ***ack***
Sorry about the e-mail Jenna, that word scared me. I tried not to but I gave in and did it anyway.
I usually come to this forum as a treat for assignments turned in, or as a way to unwind from the JOB or to get into my write my book mode. But today when it was unavailable I paced and refreshed and checked my e-mail a lot, I think you guys are growing on me! (Who am I kidding, I am sooooo hooked.)
Sam

rhymegirl
07-13-2005, 07:36 AM
While AW was sleeping (sounds like a movie title), I worked on my very own web site! Also did some housework and wrote some poetry. And read a book. Hmm. I see a pattern here.

SeanDSchaffer
07-13-2005, 07:41 AM
I was busy moderating another forum I belong to....and wondering why in the world I was banned from this one.

I never sent an email, because I thought to go to AW's main page and there found out what was going on. That I did so was good, because I was able to calm the fears of a number of people over at the forum I moderate, by telling them what was happening here.

I'll be sure to let them know that the boards are back up, although they all probably already know.

3,391 emails? Ugh! (Shivers)

JennaGlatzer
07-13-2005, 07:42 AM
:kiss:

It's OK! Honestly, it's nice to see how many people really love these forums. My partner was amazed that within ONE minute of the forums going back online, there were already 48 people on... within about 2 minutes, there were 170. That's a lot of people who were refreshing and refreshing for these past 24 hours!

I'm in the midst of deleting all threads that haven't had a post in more than a year. Surprisingly, that's not a lot of posts. Will have to come up with other ways to shrink the board...

JennaGlatzer
07-13-2005, 07:44 AM
P.S. I was slightly exaggerating about the number of e-mails. Slightly! ;) Amy handled a whole lot of them, too, bless her soul.

SeanDSchaffer
07-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Jenna,

Just a thought, but what would be the feasibility of separating the one huge board into two smaller boards?

WriteRead
07-13-2005, 08:04 AM
I admit timidly, head hanging, blushing and glancing sideways shyly that I didn't have the faintest idea how hooked am I on this piece of human e-interaction and e-relationship!! Now I know!!

Be informed that I contacted the Tech Staff as they recommended on the 405 error msg as to the whatabouts of the forums. One, Amy, told me very shortly (s0 nice of her to do that) that the forums will be up and running in the morning. That was yesterday, okay? And they were up and running, well, you know when. Guess they had a heck of a problem, didn't they? What ever was it?

Glad to be back reading your slush, he-he... Now, 'ts'yo'turn to read mine, ha-haha!

Dan

brokenfingers
07-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Jenna and Amy,

My neighbors want me to say: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My screams were keeping them up at night...

maestrowork
07-13-2005, 08:09 AM
I wish I could say I was extremely productive working on my book...

I'm going to go now, to spank myself...

luv2writestuff
07-13-2005, 08:12 AM

Jenna,

Not just banned ... we were "FORBIDDEN" ...

:flag:Hi ... my name is Debbie and I belong to AW! LOL I didn't realize I was ADDICTED to AW! Thanks for such a great site Jenna ... it is very inspiring! I appreciate all your hard work (and all the others who help you too) ... T H A N K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings,
Debbie

rhymegirl
07-13-2005, 08:16 AM
My screams were keeping them up at night...

That's the withdrawal symptoms.

mdmkay
07-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I'm glad I didn't panic and email Jenna but I admit I most certainly freaked out when I saw I was forbidden to enter the forums. Yes, my first thought was that I had been banned and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I had done. I refuse to own up to how many times I kept checking to see if the forum was up again. It was the second time I checked to see if I could get back on the boards that it dawned on me to go to the home page to see if it was possible that the forum was down. Even after I read it was down the fact that the message said I was forbidden to enter I was still paranoid that I was possibly banned but decided I would wait until I was sure it was up before contacting anyone to see WHY I had been banned without notice.

I guess I didn't realize just how much time I fool around on here because I felt lost while they were down (laughing)

jdkiggins
07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
I didn't send an e-mail, but wouldn't you know, just when I found time to spend on the boards they were down. :Hammer: Thank you Lori (Birol) for keeping me informed with updates. And thanks to Jenna and the whole crew for doing such a fine job of getting AW back up and running as quickly as you did. :Clap: :Clap:
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Edit: Oh yes, I weeded the garden, cooked fresh veggies from the garden, made a salad with fresh veggies from the garden...AND finally finished the book I was reading!!! :D

GPatten
07-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I havenít been able to access this forum until a few minutes ago. Iíve been trying for two days. Iíve tried many times today. I donít know what happened, what did happen?

OneTeam OneDream
07-13-2005, 08:51 AM
I panicked......then I sent an email.....I panicked some more....then I sent another one. BUT, it did allow me the time on my computer to actually finish the editing of my manuscript, so I guess it was a good thing...(easy for me to say now that they are back up!)

Sorry about the emails Jenna and Amy.

Patricia
07-13-2005, 08:52 AM
I knew it was a server problem -- but used it as an excuse to email our esteemed hostess. :)

DJP
07-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Ray and Broken, you guys crack me up.

Today, I cleaned and scrubbed, did lots of laundry, baked cookies, went golfing, and played piano. Toss is some play time with the kids and a nice home cooked supper, I think my house and my family liked having me away from the computer!

reph
07-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I knew there was a technical problem, because the board flickered just before it went down. Pages sometimes loaded and sometimes didn't. So when I got the "Forbidden" message, I didn't think I'd been banned. I just thought it was rude. vBulletin was the one causing trouble, and it had the gall to speak to me as to a naughty child.

I spent some time in more of my endless correspondence on our local tax issue. Got a new set of numbers to work with from the city revenue manager...

NicoleJLeBoeuf
07-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Jenna,

Not just banned ... we were "FORBIDDEN" ... If ever a website needed a reassuring custom 401 page, this is it! That "Forbidden: You don't have permission" message can really freak people out! Not, of course, to suggest that anyone actually had time to think about popping a brand new ErrorDocument directive into the appropriate .htaccess while frantically trying to ressurect the database, I'm sure...

I got this pesky short-short rewritten today. Hardest 800 words in the last month of Sundays--I'm still not happy with it, and it seems like I cut so much that it oughtn't to still be 800 words. I also rediscovered a bunch of blogs and websites that were hiding in my bookmarks, when I was desperate for something to procrastinate writing with and the primary suspect wasn't available.

aadams73
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I refreshed a million times ;) <sniff> I missed you guys.

Unique
07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
OMG -

I applied for a job and now I have an interview! <GASP> What have I done?

Anyone have one of those stick on scars and a tube of fake blood I can borrow?
Maybe I can pin up one of my sleeves - - think they'll still believe I can type 120 with only one hand?

astonwest
07-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually, I was able to get much more work done on a WIP than usual. Maybe the boards need to go down more often...hee hee, just kidding.

But like Reph, I was seeing other signs (I think I even saw a page saying there were "technical problems" with the server) before the "you don't have permission" message. Plus, I then went to the absolute write main page and saw a message about the forums being down for technical problems.

Yeshanu
07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
:ROFL:

Ya know, I've really missed being here on a regular basis these last few months. Unique, you just made me spew PC Diet Cola all over my moniter. Again. And yes, I know better than to drink anything while reading posts on this forum...

I played Sims. And checked to see if the board was up and running. And played Sims. And checked to see if the board is up and running. And...

You get the idea.

firehorse
07-13-2005, 07:42 PM
If ever a website needed a reassuring custom 401 page, this is it! :roll: That got me thinking about possible error messages:

"We thank you for your interest in this site. Currently we are unable to allow anyone access, but please do not take this personally. We wish you all the best in your future attempts to reach this site."

BradyH1861
07-13-2005, 07:49 PM
I didn't think I was banned, though when I was in college, I was banned from attending the free Monday afternoon lunch at the Baptist Student Center.

Anyway, I'm glad everything is up and running again. It is funny how much we rely on computers these days. Several weeks ago, our CAD system went out (computer automated dispatch) and with it went the computers on our fire trucks and in the police cars. Our truck computers are pretty cool. We can pull up an interactive map and it shows each vehicle responding to a particular call. It is nice when you are coming up on an intersection and you can look down and see if any other emergency vehicles are approaching, rather than actually look out the windows. Now, we are dispatched over the radio as it is, but they can send the call info to our computers for us to look at en route. And they can update it if new information comes in as well. Anyway, we weren't getting anything that way and our maps were down. You'd have thought it was the end of the world.

God forbid we have to open the map book! And we've only had those computers for about six months! Personally, I kind of liked doing it the way we used to. But then again, I'm old fashioned.

Brady H.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
:roll: That got me thinking about possible error messages:

"We thank you for your interest in this site. Currently we are unable to allow anyone access, but please do not take this personally. We wish you all the best in your future attempts to reach this site.""...the two nuclear warheads now headed your way are a courtesy we reserve for only our most determined clients. Thank you, and we look forward to your custom in future lifetimes."

stormie
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
I tried to stay calm. I really, really, did. What'd I do to be FORBIDDEN from these boards?! I did quite a bit of gnashing of teeth, stomping around the room, growling at the computer.... Then I looked outside, saw the sun, and took a walk to the beach. Needed that.

brokenfingers
07-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I've gotta say that I was a pretty busy bee while the board was down.

I found my remote, found my pack of pens I'd been missing, rearranged some furniture,added my actual desk to my dining room desk to create a huge office space/work area conglomeration and - gasp!! - actually went out and bought a duster!! (and really used it too!)

I also met my neighbors finally, washed my truck, and had a fine steak outside on my deck instead of at my desk where I usually eat.

Oh yeah, and I actually got some writing done!

Gee, thanks Jenna! Maybe you should do this like once a week or something!

Eveningsdawn
07-13-2005, 10:56 PM
I blamed my family for breaking the computer. Then asked them if they'd been screwing with ZoneAlarm again - the damn program likes to block my sites. When I found they hadn't, I had withdrawl symptoms. It wasn't very funny.

DragonHeart
07-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I spent yesterday morning getting my wisdom teeth removed, and I was very sad to come home and find I couldn't browse here to take my mind off the pain. So instead I loitered in the AW chat, chatted on AIM, and watched TV. Couldn't really do anything else anyway.

~DragonHeart~

NicoleJLeBoeuf
07-14-2005, 12:13 AM
I spent yesterday morning getting my wisdom teeth removed, and I was very sad to come home and find I couldn't browse here to take my mind off the pain. So instead I loitered in the AW chat, chatted on AIM, and watched TV. Couldn't really do anything else anyway.Small world. Friend of mine also spent yesterday morning saying hello to the dentist and goodbye to her wisdom teeth. I was about to ask you if you were she, but she's here in Colorado and, well, you're not. Bwahaha. Anyway, my condolences. Not a fun experience.

So this friend of mine here, she borrowed a crapload of anime DVDs from us (Lain: Serial Experiments) and a mutual acquaintance (Read Or Dream: disks 2 and 3) and with any luck is spending her convalescence most pleasantly. Both of the above series come highly recommended.

arrowqueen
07-14-2005, 01:24 AM
I joined DH in the chatroom. (Hope your face is much better now and the pain's eased a wee bit.)

Inspired
07-14-2005, 01:39 AM
I was developing a complex. While this one was down, two other boards I check daily (I mean "every other minute") went down, too. Man, I thought I was a goner.

I did get a good amount of writing done. Somehow I wrote about 2000 words, when what I really needed was 500. Cut, add, snip, cut, paste, cut, cry, add, cut. I'm down to 729.

robeiae
07-14-2005, 04:57 AM
What did you do while the boards were down? Finish your 120,000 word manuscript? Pump out 20 articles? Spend time with loved ones? Read the paper?
The boards were down???

Rob :)

MacAllister
07-14-2005, 05:25 AM
I went outside into the sunshine and rode a friend's horse, because she said she was "having a bit of trouble with him."

He bucked me off. Twice.

And gave me a black eye.

And a mild concussion. Even though I was wearing my helmet--which I almost never do.

Then I couldn't get my eyes to focus, for two days. But I did manage to answer the 37 emails I got from people who wondered if we'd been hacked, or if they'd been banned.

I found I could type, if I closed one eye. Either eye works fine, they just didn't work very well together for a couple of days. Almost back to normal now, and have a ton of catching up to do! :D

aboyd
07-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I hung out with Kay.

-Tony

kappapi99
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I was taking plywood off my home that didn't really need to be put up there for dennis, but should probably remain for Emily....

maestrowork
07-14-2005, 06:07 PM
I kidnapped someone, tortured them, drank their blood, then skinned them alive.

PattiTheWicked
07-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I was reasonably productive. Worked on an edit, played in my garden, made some progress on the patio I'm building. I'd probably get more work done if AW told me I was "FORBIDDEN" at least once a week.

Fractured_Chaos
07-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I went outside into the sunshine and rode a friend's horse, because she said she was "having a bit of trouble with him."

He bucked me off. Twice.

And gave me a black eye.

And a mild concussion. Even though I was wearing my helmet--which I almost never do.

Then I couldn't get my eyes to focus, for two days. But I did manage to answer the 37 emails I got from people who wondered if we'd been hacked, or if they'd been banned.

I found I could type, if I closed one eye. Either eye works fine, they just didn't work very well together for a couple of days. Almost back to normal now, and have a ton of catching up to do! :D

YIKES! I hope you heal soon!

robeiae
07-14-2005, 07:37 PM
At least you didn't violate their civil rights...and you did get out in the open air for while!!

maestrowork
07-14-2005, 07:40 PM
i violated them alright...

Unique
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM

You forgot the salt...

Patricia
07-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess Maestro would have the last laugh if he weren't kidding. :scared: Good plot for a book or movie. Board (addict) goes mad and turns into a serial killer -- generated by severe withdrawal from AW syndrome.

Anyhow -- maybe we should make Mondays the official "forbidden day" at AW. ;)

rhymegirl
07-14-2005, 08:17 PM

Guess we will have to figure out who is missing on AW.

maestrowork
07-14-2005, 08:57 PM
is?

reph
07-14-2005, 09:06 PM
YIKES! I hope you heal soon!
Mac, that was the wrong kind of exciting day. Please accept my Yikes and hopes, too.

...drank their blood, then skinned them alive.
Plot hole, Ray.

awatkins
07-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Good heavens, Mac! Hope you feel better soon!

SeanDSchaffer
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your fall, Mac. I hope you get better soon.

maestrowork
07-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Plot hole, Ray.

I don't see any.

rhymegirl
07-14-2005, 10:17 PM
is?

You mean more than one got killed off?

reph
07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't see any.
A person without blood wouldn't remain alive to be skinned.

maestrowork
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I said "drank their blood" not "drained their blood."

reph
07-15-2005, 12:12 AM
I know. I construed it as "drank all their blood."

robeiae
07-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Boy, it's a good thing the board doesn't go down every week...

brokenfingers
07-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I kidnapped someone, tortured them, drank their blood, then skinned them alive.Glad to hear your meeting with Jill, JoAnne and Sara went well...

maestrowork
07-15-2005, 12:43 AM
they were delicious.

MacAllister
07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
...is the board blinking in and out for y'all, too? I keep getting the "slight error with out database" message, but then it's okay when I hit refresh a time or three...

Inspired
07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Yes. I'm getting that, too.

Patricia
07-15-2005, 01:05 AM
I was getting that this am -- but seems to be okay at this time. May be some upgrading going on.

Birol
07-15-2005, 04:32 AM
Yeah, Mac, I've been getting that error message, too.

While the board was down I:

Spoke to some techie people trying to figure out why I could suddenly not send e-mails to the people who were e-mailing me to ask why the forums were down.
Sent IM's and visited the chatroom to let them know what I knew, which was that no one had been banned and Jenna was working on the problem.
When I got my e-mail re-established, e-mailed everyone associated with AW in my contact list, even if they had not e-mailed me, because I had learned by then that the regs were all in withdrawals.
Followed up on some subs.
Subbed two poems.
Wrote in the WIP.
Wondered if the company who was supposed to arrive at my house some time on Monday was going to make it on Tuesday or not.
Cleaned house.
Stayed up most of the night playing games with out-of-state company after they arrived.
Volunteered to crit a couple of things.

Ronda
07-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Discovered that I had already sent off 12 things to publishers in July - 17 as of today!

Maryn
07-15-2005, 05:55 AM

I want to know!Time stretched long and bleak while the boards were out of commission. I must've aged a year!

(Actually, I had a birthday. Enjoyed from-scratch cake, time with family, a nice bottle of wine, some thoughtful presents I will enjoy for years to come. Which didn't make that big number smart any less!)

Maryn, another year older and deeper in debt

aboyd
07-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Actually, I had a birthday.Happy birthday!

:PartySmil

-Tony

samgail
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a great party, :partyguy::Cheers:
homeade cake is the best.
Happy Happy Birthday!
Sam

mdmkay
07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I was hanging out with Tony over on his writer's forum publisherdatabase.com. He does a great job administrating over there and encouraging new writers.

SeanDSchaffer
07-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Time stretched long and bleak while the boards were out of commission. I must've aged a year!

(Actually, I had a birthday. Enjoyed from-scratch cake, time with family, a nice bottle of wine, some thoughtful presents I will enjoy for years to come. Which didn't make that big number smart any less!)

Maryn, another year older and deeper in debt

Well, happy birthday to you, Maryn!

:Cake:

Sarita
07-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I never did tell you what I did while the boards were down.

Monday: I had lunch with some of my favorite people. Didn't miss the board one bit, since I was chillin' with fellow AWers. :)

Tuesday: I worked like a maniac! I can't believe how much I got down with out the distraction of the boards.

I read a study that said in Pennsylvania, employees spend 2 hours of their work day surfing the internet, chatting or checking personal email. Huh. Seems kinda low... ;)

Susie
07-15-2005, 09:06 PM
I spent time talking to other Aw'ers and actually spent some time talking with my hubby too.:)

Elincoln
07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Beings how the weather kept me in house most of this week, the instant I found the forum down, I rushed over to the chat room to find out what the FREAK was going on. Talked to Sara and Mac. Calmed down. Then went upstairs and started cleaning out the spare bedroom and playroom of old books and stuff. When I saw the forum was still down, I went to the chat room. Hey, I even went back to Lambda to see who's still there.

But I'm grateful that AW is back. :Hail: I needed my circle of friends and supporters!

Um, should the "Addicted to AW" thread be brought back?

Pat~
07-17-2005, 03:37 AM
While AW boards were down I...

...went to my spam emailbox and finally deleted the 6873 unread messages
...decluttered the family room, kitchen, and mudroom
...worked out at the ice rink
...started reading a new book
...got reacquainted with my family :)

Birol
07-17-2005, 04:20 AM
While AW boards were down I...

...got reacquainted with my family :)

Don't let those peeps you live with fool you. We're you're real family. Bwhahahahahaha.

Unique
07-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Don't let those peeps you live with fool you. We're you're real family. Bwhahahahahaha.

(Ssh. You'll scare the newbies. Heh, heh.)

Pat~
07-17-2005, 04:34 AM
Nah...not dysfunctional enough!

Birol
07-17-2005, 04:37 AM
(Ssh. You'll scare the newbies. Heh, heh.)

They never take me seriously. Not until they've been here awhile. By then, it's too late. :)

aboyd
07-17-2005, 09:36 AM
I wish I had listened to Briol before I got sucked in.

-Tony

aboyd
07-18-2005, 11:16 PM
For the second run of down-time, I hung out with Sara and Jill and had a fun time on the chat!

-Tony

Cabinscribe
07-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Seriously thought about attending an AA meeting. (Absolutewrite Anonymous!)

:)

WriteRead
07-19-2005, 05:05 AM
What was the prob this time?

Dan

mdmkay
07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
...went to my spam emailbox and finally deleted the 6873 unread messages

WOW!!

GonnaBeFamous
07-20-2005, 11:02 AM

So you're the one that runs the boards. Very pretty. ;)

aboyd
07-20-2005, 02:56 PM
So you're the one that runs the boards. Very pretty. ;)Hey man, we already did that thread. I started it, thankyouverymuch. Of course, Opti started one months before I arrived, and I suspect someone else started one months before that.

So, uh, hmmm. Carry on.

(If you really want to crush on her, go look at her personal Web site. I think the photo of her wearing the silly leggings & double pony-tails is what did me in.)

-Tony

aspier
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I woke up this morning and saw it was another day ... similar as yesterday. Weird!

No leggings are silly, aboyd. They are dangerous attributes covering whole histories and if one doesn't watch out, his future as well.