Could this work?

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I had some random thoughts about a series idea I've been toying with. Say you have two lovable characters but only use one POV per book so as not to confuse middle-grade readers, could you change to the next character's POV in the next book and keep alternating POV for every book? Is that workable/do-able or would that confuse young readers?

Last edited:

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
If it's for older mg readers, you could switch every chapter. I've seen that before.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm topping this for one last chance. Anyone?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to as "middle grade" readers, but when my boy (an avid reader) was in 4th through 6th grades he loved the books that gave a choice of which characters to follow. Animorphs books and I think some Goosebumps had editions that were that way.. . .you read the introduction, then it tells you which page to flip to for following whichever character.

Anyway, that might not be something you are interested in, but thought I'd mention it. I kind of like your idea of one POV per book.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
It's not unusual for a series to change POV at each book. Animorphs did it. The Babysitters Club did it. I am sure there are others but it's been a long day and my brain is soupy.

Gran

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Granny. I'll have to check out those books you mentioned.

voxel

Multiple POVs

Read "Flipped" (recent) and "View From Saturday" (older) also. Both use multiple POVs in the same book. Flipped uses two OPPOSING POVs discussing the same daily events.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The novels about the magic jeans, recently made into movie, does this as well.

Plenty of children's series do this and do it well. In fact, I think kids would enjoy swapping character POVs to get better insight into their favorite characters.