Arachnophobia

Pesimisticus

Join us. We have cookies.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know if I can bloody post this here, but whatever.
I'm not the only arachnophobe here, am I?

My house is infested with wolf spiders--charcoal-colored anorexic tarantulas. I woke up yesterday with a dozen little ones on me. I showered through a full 40 gallons of hot water.

I tried to convince myself to go to bed tonight, but when I walked in the room and turned on the light, a big hairy spider was on the wall right behind my bed. A little one was on the opposite wall. Both scurried away.

So, I did what any good spider-phobe would do, I got a sleeping bag and slept in the back of my Jeep. That wouldn't be so bad except that winter is blowing in full force, and it was 39 freaking degrees, with endless wind gusts 40mph. The Jeep was cold, and dark, and kept rocking, rocking, rocking in the wind, and I couldn't freaking fall asleep!

Now I'm inside, huddled at the desk, the sky still dark out, the house cold, with spiders all around me clicking, scurrying, weaving webs and makin' babies. I keep looking around like a frazzled, paranoid bat. I'm clutching an airsoft pistol like it's life-support. I've already blown two of these things away. Now I have spider guts on the ceiling.

And I want to go to sleep. I really, really want to go to sleep.

The worst part is that my back is covered in spider bites, but I can't reach them to scratch.

It’s only 6AM.

I’m half-conscious.

If I fall asleep, I know they’re going to get me.

I’m hungry.

Damn my irrational fear of eight-legged creatures.

THESE ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crvI1SOPavA&feature=related

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you have an lemon furniture polish, spray it all around. Most spiders dislike the taste of lemons.

Maybe spray yourself! ;-)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Though it's my own fault for clicking on the link...I still gotta say it. I hate you!

Good God...I'd be moving into the Jeep permanently. AND wrapping myself in Saran Wrap. You should have taken a Silkwood shower...the only thing that would erase that touch!

Pesimisticus

Registered
Reaction score
They seriously don't like lemons?!

I'm getting a thousand lemon car fresheners and hanging them from every nook and cranny in the house.

Lemon Aerosol

Lemon Bath

Lemon Shampoo

Dried lemon peels under my mattress sheet

Lemon peels in my shoes (hate putting shoes on and getting a bit toe)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Don't forget lemon meringue pie and RealRemon.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the lemon thing, but those Raid bug bombs keep everything out of my house. I use them about once every six months and I'm bug free. Including spiders. In a pretty spider-intensive place, too. :)

Pesimisticus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the lemon thing, but those Raid bug bombs keep everything out of my house. I use them about once every six months and I'm bug free. Including spiders. In a pretty spider-intensive place, too. :)

Normally I dislike using chemicals, but I'm seriously considering one of these. The stupid things are reproducing so fast I'm afraid to see what tomorrow will look like.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They seriously don't like lemons?!

I'm getting a thousand lemon car fresheners and hanging them from every nook and cranny in the house.

Lemon Aerosol

Lemon Bath

Lemon Shampoo

Dried lemon peels under my mattress sheet

Lemon peels in my shoes (hate putting shoes on and getting a bit toe)
I don't know about all of that, but this might provide you will more information: http://www.squidoo.com/Safe-Natural-Spider-Repellent

By the way, I'm being very nice in this thread and not posting spider picture even for fun . . . because I used to date a girl who was deathly afraid of spiders, and who would call me in the middle of the night to come kill a spider. Ever got a phone call at two a.m. with a woman on the other end screaming "THERE'S A SPIDER IN THE BATHROOOM!!!!!!!" My reply of "Maybe it wants to take a shower" was not appreciated.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were trying out a great start to a horror movie. But seriously, if it's that bad spend a few dollars and get in a paid bug killer who gives a guarantee. That will let you sleep at night.

I'm lucky where I live. We do have huntsman spiders in the house and they can be quite large but they eat the cockroaches and the redback spiders. They're not poisonous but I did get a bad reaction when I was bitten by a big one, once. But I'd rather have them than the others.

But good luck combatting your wolf spiders.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pesimisticus you have my deepest sympathies, I :rant: HATE spiders. The site
of them rolls my stomach. I will not/cannot click you linky**Shudder**

I shall no commence with dousing myself/my house/my yard/my car/my everything in lemons/limes forever.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't guess any of you want to sing The Itsy Bitsy Spider song along with me, do you?

;-)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Kaitie hates spiders! I had a thread about this last week. :D We used to have wolf spiders and brown recluses in America, and I thought those were bad until I got to Japan and found dinner-plate-sized Huntsman spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider (warning, not for the faint of heart :p)

I actually stumbled across one earlier today on my neighbors wall. Scared the crap out of me. At least it was outside, though. Not to jinx it, I haven't found one of these inside in a year or two. I have lots of little jumping spiders, though. I still don't like them, but I've gotten used to them.

Reg, is that Azula? Every time I see the picture I think it's her, but it's kind of an odd angle and I can't remember if she ever wore that. :tongue

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
Why did I click on that? I walked into a web in my garage FULL of baby spiders last week. *gags* I used up a whole bottle of high-powered spider killer and washed my hair several times. I hate spiders.

Kaitie hates spiders! I had a thread about this last week. :D We used to have wolf spiders and brown recluses in America, and I thought those were bad until I got to Japan and found dinner-plate-sized Huntsman spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider (warning, not for the faint of heart :p)

I actually stumbled across one earlier today on my neighbors wall. Scared the crap out of me. At least it was outside, though. Not to jinx it, I haven't found one of these inside in a year or two. I have lots of little jumping spiders, though. I still don't like them, but I've gotten used to them.

Reg, is that Azula? Every time I see the picture I think it's her, but it's kind of an odd angle and I can't remember if she ever wore that. :tongue

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I killed another brown recluse this morning. I can now identify them from several feet away. They just look like predators.

I have two or three jumping spiders that live in the hall. They catch flies on a regular basis and they don't bother us, so they can stay.

I don't normally worry about spiders or snakes, but brown recluse bites can do that whole rotting flesh thing and a guy around here died not long ago from being bitten by one. I'm all for protecting my children and myself.

I've also upped the house cleaning so that I am disturbing undisturbed parts of the house more often.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't guess any of you want to sing The Itsy Bitsy Spider song along with me, do you?

;-)

Gee you guessed.

This has been a horrible years for spiders. Those nasty buggers are everywhere and are freaking ginormous.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
We are fully into fall here now and they are all coming into the house....

:eek:

I have bites all over, as well. Usually a few new ones show up in the mornings. Thankfully my area does not have poisonous spiders (or poisonous anything, I guess, except maybe copperhead and rattle snakes) but they are still so creepy! *shiver*

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Get some bug bombs at walmart, that should help. Or better yet, call an exterminator. They will get everything out of your house, and spray around the outside of your house to keep them from coming in. Totally worth the money!

On a side note, I found a huge black widow on the side of my house this morning. Hate, hate those things. I have seen a few before, but not this big. Makes me nervous because I have two little kids and two dogs (one that loves to chase and catch bugs). So I took a acn of bug spray and used about half of it on the thing. It curled up in a ball and died. I still can't get it though. I am afraid it is faking and really pissed off. So I am leaving it there for when hubby comes home. ~~Shivers~~

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If everyone on this thread isn't already entirely squicked out, I have a marvellously gory tale of being bitten by a brown recluse spider in the third grade and the ensuing nastiness that transpired. I hate spiders...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was bitten by a brown recluse too. We can swap stories!

I'm guessing some people might not want to tell our tales . . .

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was bitten by a brown recluse too. We can swap stories!

I'm guessing some people might not want to tell our tales . . .

Oh, yay! High fives! I got off pretty easy, as I know sometimes people lose an arm or a leg from a bite. I still have a majestic scar, and a small dent in my leg, but that's it :) After the bite was, um, cleaned out by the doctor, there was a hole big enough to fit two pencils about an inch deep. And of course I was only a skinny little 8 year old at the time.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, how awful for your two. Thankfully I have never seen one of those, don't think they are around here. I have heard those bites are painful!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, you shouldn't have them in the Rockies, the brown recluse range is more to the east; from Texas eastward, and south of Michigan.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a side note, I found a huge black widow on the side of my house this morning. Hate, hate those things.
When I was a kid I wasn't afraid of bugs, spiders, or snakes (or jumping off a barn roof with a homemade parachute), but even I left black widows alone when I found one (or killed it quickly). There is something about them that just looks . . . well, evil.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Normally I dislike using chemicals, but I'm seriously considering one of these. The stupid things are reproducing so fast I'm afraid to see what tomorrow will look like.

I didn't have any poisonous spiders where I grew up (that I know of) but now I have things like brown recluses, widows and wonderful stuff like that. I'm not above using chemicals. I'll use the hell out of some chemicals. These things like to come in the house in Autumn and winter. And so do centipedes where I live. And I really, really hate those damn things. I woke up with one on my face once.