How long before the check comes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to receive the first check from a major publisher after the sale is made?

Thanks!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
They do quarterly or bi-annual statements, those statements will have the checks if it passed your advance amount. If say you had a 5k advance, you have to make that much in royalties before you see a check.

After that it will show up with your statement that will show you how many books are sold. There will be some sales that are reserved as returns for up to a year, those are books that bookstores purchased but may not have actually sold yet, and they may later return them or exchange them for other books so that would come back off your sales.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
I assume you're talking about the advance check?

For me, it took four weeks after the contract was signed. It took a month to get the contract finalized. So...roughly two months after my verbal deal.

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. Great information. Looks like two more months of poverty for me...

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
It depends on the publisher, too, and when the offer is made. My contracts took three months, but that included the end-of-year holidays. The check took another month to show up.

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
... or four more months of poverty.

Good thing I've got a lot of practice at it!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
But if you're lucky, and you don't have many edits to make, the D&A check might not take long after the signing check. (This all depends on your contract.)

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a "D&A" check? Delivery and acceptance? Also, do these things usually come in thirds? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be a pest with the agent and/or the publisher...

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a "D&A" check? Delivery and acceptance? Also, do these things usually come in thirds? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be a pest with the agent and/or the publisher...

Sorry. I forgot to take off my cryptic hat. :)

Yes, D&A is delivery and acceptance. Your contract will spell everything out, but in general, you get 1/3 on signing, 1/3 on delivery & acceptance, and 1/3 on publication.

If you landed a multi-book deal, the signing payments for all the books are lumped together into one check, but then the D&A and publication checks are for each separate book.

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the answers... also for explaining multi-book procedures... I really appreciate it!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My first check came about two and a half months after the verbal deal--a couple of weeks after the contract was finalized. Funny part was, because of the length of time it took to finalize the contract and because my editor was working extra fast to prepare for maternity leave, I had the D&A payment just a few weeks after the first check came.

nconner

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to add a month to your outside target, but for me it was five months between the verbal offer and the first check. It was a two-book deal, though, so the check was a nice size. :)

Nancy Holzner

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
How long does it take to get paid if you don't have a deal yet? Or an agent?

Ouchies, guess I'll keep the day job.

;)

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
How long does it take to get paid if you don't have a deal yet? Or an agent?

Ouchies, guess I'll keep the day job.

;)

Well most authors don't ditch their day jobs for quite awhile, if ever.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see. For my first deal it was April with the verbal offer, and the contracts arrived at the beginning of September. October for the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.