Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Sad news - just read on the EPIC loop that Kate Duffy long time editor at Kensington has passed away. I've never met or had any interaction with her but have heard so many stories.

Carlene

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is truly sad. She was a very wonderful editor and person. She'll be sorely missed.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
The info on my loop said she had been fighting cancer, then got an infection and went into the hospital to have it treated and died there.

Yes, I heard wonderful stories about her too.

Carlene

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Oh my. I attended a talk by her at the RWA National Convention. How to write suspense.

I stood up and asked a question, actually, and got a lovely useful answer which changed the plotting of Forbidden Rose .

Last edited:

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Very sad. My thoughts are with her close friends and family.

Kate Duffy will be missed in the romance community. I can't think of an editor as popular and talked about by authors.

I also had limited contact with Kate through the Brava novella contest a couple years ago. She sent me my very first personalized rejection. It was abrupt, but wonderful, and more importantly, helpful. (Yes, I dug the letter out and reread it today)

RIP, Kate.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
I never spoke to her personally, but I kept an eagle eye on her while I waited for my editor appointment in Dallas a couple of years ago, hoping to catch some snippets of wisdom. I've heard so many stories about what a great person and fantastic editor she was.

My condolences to her family.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this news. I met Ms. Duffy @ RWA once and she actually requested one of my MSs. She was easy to talk to, honest and I enjoyed my interactions with her.

Condolences to her loved ones.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
:( I had the opportunity to meet her once in the company of one of her authors. She was a wonderful, sweet lady. The literary world will miss her greatly.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
While I never met Kate, I of course knew of her and had heard fabulous things about her. I'm sad I'll never get the chance to meet her. My thoughts are with her family and friends--and, of course, her writers.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I moderated a session with her at last year's NINC conf in NYC - she was awesome in her love of books, defense of authors, willingness to listen and openness to new things. It's such a sad day and real loss to the world of publishing.

annie jones
http://www.facebook.com/anniejones.author

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this on another website. I'm so sorry!

Kate Duffy was one of the nicest people ever to reject me. She actually called me at my home to tell me, "I love your writing, just not what you write." I was on cloud nine although she never did make an offer.

EM

Status
Not open for further replies.