US Marines campaign ribbons

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
For a very minor plot point, I'm trying to describe the dress uniform of a veteran. He was a Marine, briefly a staff sergeant, but was honorably discharged as a plain sergeant. He was awarded two purple hearts and a bronze star. He served in Vietnam. I'm looking specifically for the ribbons he would have on the left breast of the uniform. I'm thinking the red and blue bronze star, the purple of the purple heart (just one or do you wear two?,) the yellow red and green Vietnam service medal, the Republic of Vietnam campaign ribbon. Would there be any others? I see a ribbon for Navy and Marine corps overseas service, but would the Vietnam service trump that? Would he have both? What about the Marine Corps expeditionary medal? Is there a ribbon for the Marine sharpshooter medal?

Any input will be welcome.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the National Defense ribbon (red with a 1/4 inch yellow bar with blue stripes on each side, in the center).
Yes, a sharpshooter ribbon, and a the expeditionary ribbon.
The purple heart would have a star centered on it, to denote the second award. There's also a good conduct medal available if he never got in trouble.
I'm a Navy guy, so I'm probably missing something the marines would have.
Take a look at this site for more info.