Submitting a proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueskies

I have queried a number of agents and publishers who have requested a full proposal which includes photography.

I have completed the proposal but wanted to know is there any protocol about how it should be presented. eg in a folder, stapled at at the top, use brads, loose leaf etc or is it up to the individual to do what is best for the individual proposal.

As the sample chapters are all double page spreads with text on one side, photos on the right I have put it in a very very thin binder. Is this approach acceptable?

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of the agents/publishers who have requested a proposal have guidelines on presenting material? A lot of publishers and agents have guidelines on their websites, so you might want to check there.

Generally speaking, editors pretty much hate having things in binders, stapled, paperclipped or anything of the sort. But their guidlines may indicate otherwise, and you should follow them, if they are available.

ARainbowWarrior

Howdy, Blueskies!

I don't know how far you've gotten on your submissions -- However, just to offer a suggestion or two for the future...

If you have the computer capabilities and skills to scan photos, size and clip art, etc. then you can add all of this to the actual printout of your page-by-page proposal, sample chapters et al. (Not to give myself a cheap plug, but I do make eye-catching flyers of my books and pass them out utilizing these very same principals.)

In lieu of this, you can do it the old fashioned way, the way we laid out newspapers in the military before they went to the print shop - which is to block the text and then block, code and number where the photos and pictures are supposed to go. With pages in one stack; the accompanying photos in another stack -- It's much neater and more professional looking, I would think.

In any event: Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.