Recently Joined Staff of University's Literary Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go me, right? Well here is the problem. I have no experience with working in this type of environment. I know college is a learning process and they don't expect perfection(at my uni at least), but I still want to make the best of my time.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience in this area and could give me a few pointers? I am a copy editor on paper, but I am pretty sure I will be taking part in all areas of the magazine due to the small size of the staff.

I can edit copy pretty well(though I'm not always able to produce it :p), so I'm not terribly concerned about that specifically. I'm not even sure what it is I'm trying to ask. What makes a great college literary journal, maybe? Aside from content, of course, which I have no control of and is limited to current students.

I guess anything anyone can say on the topic would be helpful. My internet searches haven't produced much on the topic.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right board for this post. Feel free to move it if my choice was incorrect.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you talk to the other people on the staff? They'll know exactly what you need to do and what's expected, and every single one of them was in your shoes once, as well. Go in with an open mind and say, "I'm here to learn. What do I need to do?"

Asking questions is the best way to find out anything, and you won't be looked down on for doing it.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. If there are others that have been there longer than you, you'll quickly learn, especially if you show enthusiasm. You'll also quickly learn whether you agree with their ways of doing things or not, and if you see a way to make improvements, you should speak up. Fresh eyes on a magazine (or any business/collective/etc.) will often be more insightful than those who are more experienced.

Good luck and enjoy - a university magazine editorship was where my whole publishing career started :).

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
And if you've not already done so, go to the university library and look at some other uni lit mags. A glance at the peers of any lit mag can tell you quite a bit about which niche your mag wants to fit into. When you talk to your co-workers on the mag, find out what their fave lit mags are, too.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, for the comments. I haven't been able to get internet access for a few days.

I get so damned paranoid about things and I freak out, but I'm just going to try to go with the flow on this one.

I start tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.