Need new series after Sookie books -- Please Help

AmyB

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I just finished the Sookie Stackhouse books and picked up a few new paranormal romance and urban fantasy books from my neighborhood used bookstore but after reading a few pages of three of them I just threw them to the ground.

My reason was the bitchy/angry un-compromising female leads. (Yep, one of the books I picked up was an Anita Blake so I expected that from that series) but I was surprised that the other books I picked up seemed to be following suit. I'm just not in the mood for a annoyingly bitchy lead and would rather read something more fun. (I've finished all the Jim Butcher books so can't switch to a sarcastic Harry Dresdin to pass the time :(

I'm not able to go browse the aisles being that the closest real bookstore is 35 minutes away and I will have my two young children in tow...so I want to go with an idea of what/who to be looking out for when I get there.

I would really appreciate any ideas for a good urban paranormal or paranormal romance with less bitch and more fun.

Thanks so much!
AmyB

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Try Molly Harper's Jane Jameson books. They are very funny and quirky, with down-to-earth heroine who knows how to use her inner snark without coming across as a bitch. "Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs" is the first.

And if you haven't read the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs, those are excellent, too. A strong (without being bitchy) heroine, yummy male leads, and awesome world building.

Angelique

A Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tc-anderson.livejournal.com
I'd suggest the Evernight series by Claudia Gray. It's not really humorous, but it's definitely worth a read, and the lead character Bianca is stubborn, but not to a fault. What I love best is that it has a twist that readers don't really see coming--two of them actually.

Another suggestion would be A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
I'd recommend The Dresden Files. They are an excellent urban fantasy series.

The main character is a wizard who's also a P.I. Among his opponents and allies (and sometimes both at the same time) are four different types of werewolves, the four different Courts of vampires (Red, White, Black and Jade), both the Summer and Winter Courts of the Sidhe plus assorted necromancers, ghosts, demons and other supernatural entities. There's a few mundane humans among then as well.

And The Archive. She's very unnerving.

The Denarians are the worst though. I will be so glad when they get wiped off the face of the earth.

There's a sweet but unrequited romance running through it as well.

Highly recommended.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Try Susan Hubbard "The Society of S" and "The Year of Disappearances" (no bitchiness at all).

Another good series that isnt' really paranormal/urban fantasy is Ariana Franklin's "Mistress of the Art of Death", "The Serpent's Tale" and "Grave Goods". It's a historical CSI (best way I can think to describe it right now). :)

A friend of mine enjoyed "Spellbinder" by Melanie Rawn but it drove me insane. :) Oh and of course "The Season of the Witch" by Natasha Mostert

On a side note: I loved Dresden too but found Anita Blake beyond annoying --- esp after Narcissus in Chains. The black nikes with a blue swoosh irritated me but her attitude pushed me over the edge! ;)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly suggest the Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin. The main character is upbeat and funny, she's confident, capable, and has a wonderful voice that just makes it a whole lot of fun to follow.

Magic Lost, Trouble Found is the first. Armed and Magical is the second. The Trouble with Demons is the third.

I loved this series. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0441015050/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you try Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. Supernatural and clever, and super fast reads.