pseudonyms

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of y'all use a pseudonym and if so, why? I'm considering it and wonder if it's worth the hassle.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I use a pseudonym for my erotica (including Between Brothers) and my real name for romance (first and last for hetero, first initial and last name for M/M). I just do it to differentiate between the genres and avoid confusion among readers.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
If you're using it to hide from your peers, just know that there is always a chance that some will find out. Unless you jump through lots of legal hoops, the copyright will still be in your name. Also, if you want to make any money off this at all, you gotta market it somehow, which is hard to do if you gonna Clark Kent your way through the novel business. Don't publish anything you wouldn't want people to know about.

ELMontague

I use a psuedonym, but it's not much a way to hide, it's really just a separation.

V. Greene

Ditching the pseudonym
Registered
Reaction score
I've been puzzling over this lately myself. It made sense at the time to have one name as a sort-of-literary spec-fic writer and another as an erotica writer. For that matter, if the little murder mystery ever makes it past the introduction and the outline, it might make sense to put that under yet a third name, simply because, like erotica, mysteries tend to pigeonhole the writer. Writing one is not the same as writing nothing else forever. I don't particularly care to be pigeonholed, so -- pigeon names.

However, the resume is that much thinner in your cover letters. And creating web presence for two or three names is two or three times the pain in the rear of creating web presence for one, and if one gets a smashing success the other has (or other two have) to whistle nonchalantly and say nothing. At present the erotica writer Twitters and the fantasy writer is on Facebook, which seems to help me keep them straight.

Reaction score
If you're using it to hide from your peers, just know that there is always a chance that some will find out. Unless you jump through lots of legal hoops, the copyright will still be in your name. Also, if you want to make any money off this at all, you gotta market it somehow, which is hard to do if you gonna Clark Kent your way through the novel business. Don't publish anything you wouldn't want people to know about.
It's not about hiding. It's about distinguishing between genres and at least in my case, using a name my mother didn't choose for me.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I use a pseudonym for my romance/erotic romance (same name for both, because mostly what I write has erotic content even if it isn't "erotic romance" per se), and use my nickname and real last name for my young adult stuff.

My reasons for using a pseudonym for my romances is threefold: first, with an eye toward print publications of the romances, I want to keep that genre separate from my young adult stuff; second, my ex-husband obsessively Googles and background checks me and I don't want him to find out what I write (the man once threatened to take my children because I'm vegetarian; he's a bit of a nutter), though he's the only one I hide it from and some of his family knows I write it; and third, when I put on my pen name's "cap", it's like slipping into a character, and that for me makes the writing flow more easily.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I use two pseudonyms... one for my third person, non-vampire erotica/erotic romance... one for my first person vampire books and then my real name for childrens books... at least that's the plan so far... just started the path towards getting published, so for now, it doesn't mean squat... *lol*... but when I do get published... that's what I planned to do... who knows if my publisher will have different ideas/suggestions... ???

But for my erotica/erotic romance... I use one also because my employer would likely fire someone if it became associated to my real name and in turn, my material was associated with someone who worked for them. I don't expect I will be able to quit my day job as I begin a writing career and until I do... its pseudonyms for me! =o)

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Same for me Brindle. Pen name all the way for anything that might have a whiff of sex in it.

I think it's a very good idea, especially if you write children or YA books, to have different names. My God, think of the mess that could be. Mommy, look...

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Another ditto to Brindle's comment though I don't write kid's stuff or erotica (yet). I have a very good day job that I don't plan on quitting unless I were to become a multiple best-selling author (not likely before I retire) but I also don't want people I work with to be whispering about me or more importantly questioning my commitment should I ever be published. I'm a pretty private person in general so I went ahead and registered a domain the other day under one pen name I considered. That was a ton of fun, I must say, almost like being a spy.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Since it pertains to the thread, would you mind educating me (computer ignoramus of the first order) how to register a domain?

AuburnAssassin

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Half of what they're talking about sounds like gibberish to me right now, but I'll keep studying it until I understand. Maybe just a blog with word press (?) would take care of me for now, but I wondered about the domain name.

AuburnAssassin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's what I did, Synonym, just got a WordPress blog for now but still "bought" the name for a year (renewable annually). It was about $7 so I figured, what the hey. The thread was a little over my head but I gleaned enough to do what I did. Whether t'was wise or foolish remains to be seen.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that we do, hoping they're wise and secretly suspecting we've just been P. T. Barnum-ed ;)

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I think pseudonyms are like brand names, or band names. I write in different styles and have had it suggested to me by two publishers to use pseudonyms. I don't have strong opinions on it. As far as I'm concerned it's a marketing thing, and publishers are oh, so much better at it than me.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
I may or may not write erotica and either way, I would never use my real name. I don't think there's anything wrong with protecting your privacy.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a pseudonym because I like the idea of separating my public and private life. If I have to go out in the field with a couple of good ol' boys, I don't want to have to worry if they'd read my work...

Now to figure out a good pseudonym....

Thanks y'all!

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I call dibs on Muffy McPussyton.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I thought about Kittie Bowman since it's a confabulation of my grandmother's name but maybe not.....