WHEN DOES FAN FIC CROSS THE LINE INTO PLAGIARISM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Over the years I have been approached by people asking for permission to write fan-fic knockoffs of my published novels.

My question is, at what point would / does a fan-fic story cross the line into plagiarism?

My apologies if this has been addressed before. I did a search but the word fic or fiction triggers a torrent of hits. Way more than I care to sift.

Thanks in advance for any input.
C

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
My view is that lifting entire sentences, paragraphs, etc. would be plagiarism. If someone used my characters and my world to tell a new story, that would be a fanfic. If someone quoted my writing word-for-word without proper attribution, that would be plagiarism.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
We've had a lot of threads on fanfiction in the past, but usually from people who are writing it. It's interesting you're on the other side.

Really, all fanfiction is copyright infringement, not necessarily plagiarism. If you hold the copyright on your original work, you have the right to create any derivatives of that work. But a lot of authors, like JK Rowling, choose to ignore fanfiction of their work. Furthermore, I believe some contracts state if the author becomes aware of a fanfiction work, they're obligated to report it to the publisher. So even if you don't mind people are out there writing fanfiction, it can put you in an awkward position. Fanfiction has almost become a "norm," and I think most people are okay with ignoring it UNTIL someone tries to profit. That most definitely crosses the line.

I would never grant anyone permission to write fanfiction, because the legalities of that could get very messy. Just ignore those e-mails.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Like katiemac says, I don't think fanfic should ever be officially "approved" by the author. That gets into all kinds of weird legal territory. As long as the fans are doing it for fun and not making any sort of profit, and you don't have any sort of intense moral feelings against it, I'd say ignore it. Absolutely DO NOT read it, though. Ever. If you do that, then anything you may write in the future may be subject to fans saying "I thought of that first!"

I know that the creator of the Gargoyles animated TV show basically gave silent approval to a group of fanfic writers (I was once among them) to "continue" the show after it was cancelled. It was a group effort to continue the storyline in written, episodic form. He would answer all sorts of questions we put to him about what he had planned and envisioned for the future, but he would never, ever read anything we had written. Basically his position was that if he ever had the opportunity to contribute more to the universe, he did not want it influenced by fan work. Anyway, the fan effort benefitted him because it kept the fan base alive even after the show went away - and a decade later he got to do some more in comic form because the audience was still seen to exist.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Author approved fanfiction can actually help your legal position if you do like mercedes lackey who has the author sign that their work is set in an AU, and they agree not to use her characters, just the world setting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'm forgetting the author's name where a fanfic writer claimed the author stole the storyline for a published novel from a fanfic work.

I believe this happened to MZB but it falls under the general category of frivolous/crazy lawsuits--you can't stop those from happening no matter what you do.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I believe this happened to MZB but it falls under the general category of frivolous/crazy lawsuits--you can't stop those from happening no matter what you do.

Yep, that's who I was thinking.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I always wondered about this. I see 100% of fanfic to be plagiarism. Why isn't it? If I was asked the OP question, I would say it crosses the line into plagiarism the second somebody else uses one of your characters. I don't get why this isn't the case. I have zero tolerance for fan fiction. I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm amazed that they asked permission. Fanfic generally operates on a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of system. The next time it happens tell them that since they've brought it to your attention, you are contractually obligated to inform them that writing such material will force you to take legal action against them so your publisher won't take legal action against you for not defending your copyright.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Except in her case, it was her habit to solicit fan input for stories. Since there was a chance that the fan in question really had submitted a story for consideration, they pulped the novel rather than deal with the legal issues.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... never read or wrote fanfic, myself. Don't think it's cool, either, unless sanctioned by the author. So it's good readers are asking your permission. If you do wind up giving it down the road, of course be clear what you are allowing them to do with your books and characters. I could see this being a fun thing for fans of books to engage in, and also for writers to manufacture. But again, I feel that authors should be notified first and that their permission be sought. Otherwise I'd also have to qualify it as a form of plagarism or theft.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Generating significant fanfic is a sign your work has made it, that it has enraptured readers so much they want to continue the story. Fanfic between "legit" books can also keep the enthusiasm alive and spark new readers of the "canon."

Too bad there are so many legal complications surrounding copyright. It would be nice if writers could give fanficcers explicit permission for use without profit. However, considering the dangers to themselves and their publishers, that's not possible now, to my knowledge.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered about this. I see 100% of fanfic to be plagiarism. Why isn't it? If I was asked the OP question, I would say it crosses the line into plagiarism the second somebody else uses one of your characters. I don't get why this isn't the case. I have zero tolerance for fan fiction. I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Plagiarism is taking credit for someone's work as your own.

Fanfic, by definition, assumes that the readers know the true source of the borrowed characters/setting/history and virtually always includes disclaimers to that effect.

Ergo, no fanfic is plagiarism by virtue of being fanfic. (Although, however, fanfic writers can plagiarize by taking paragraphs/dialogue/plot twists from other, unacknowledged sources as well.)

I am both a happy author of fanfic and a happy author whose books have inspired fanfic.

Last edited:

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
This woman describes herself as a fan and has read all my novels. She reviewed them so I know that's true. It was nice that she asked and it showed that she doesn't know much about entertainment law. I refused her offer without comment.
C

I'm amazed that they asked permission. Fanfic generally operates on a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of system. The next time it happens tell them that since they've brought it to your attention, you are contractually obligated to inform them that writing such material will force you to take legal action against them so your publisher won't take legal action against you for not defending your copyright.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read fan-fic and I kinda don't approve. I'm a live and let live sort but I stop short when someone wants to move in uninvited.
C

... never read or wrote fanfic, myself. Don't think it's cool, either, unless sanctioned by the author. So it's good readers are asking your permission. If you do wind up giving it down the road, of course be clear what you are allowing them to do with your books and characters. I could see this being a fun thing for fans of books to engage in, and also for writers to manufacture. But again, I feel that authors should be notified first and that their permission be sought. Otherwise I'd also have to qualify it as a form of plagarism or theft.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Plagiarism is taking credit for someone's work as your own.

Fanfic, by definition, assumes that the readers know the true source of the borrowed characters/setting/history and virtually always includes disclaimers to that effect.

Ergo, no fanfic is plagiarism by virtue of being fanfic. (Although, however, fanfic writers can plagiarize by taking paragraphs/dialogue/plot twists from other, unacknowledged sources as well.)

I am both a happy author of fanfic and a happy author whose books have inspired fanfic.

I don't buy it at all. I will not be convinced that it is not plagiarism. It's theft...plain and simple.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generating significant fanfic is a sign your work has made it, that it has enraptured readers so much they want to continue the story. Fanfic between "legit" books can also keep the enthusiasm alive and spark new readers of the "canon."

Too bad there are so many legal complications surrounding copyright. It would be nice if writers could give fanficcers explicit permission for use without profit. However, considering the dangers to themselves and their publishers, that's not possible now, to my knowledge.
Those "legal complications" are there for authors to protect their property.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yep, that's who I was thinking.

Except in her case, it was her habit to solicit fan input for stories. Since there was a chance that the fan in question really had submitted a story for consideration, they pulped the novel rather than deal with the legal issues.

The difference between the MZB case and fan fic is that the work in question was NOT a fanfic by the standard definition.

At the time MZB edited a Darkover anthology series ("Friends of Darkover" was in the title, IIRC) which she opened to everyone. This series gave several Fantasy writers their "break" and was very successful on pretty much every level.

She received a submission from a fan whose plot/storyline greatly resembled the book she was presently writing. IIRC, MZB rejected the story and went on to publish her like book. The fan sued for copyright infringement. The matter was settled out of court and MZB paid damages to the fan.

This was NOT fanfic in the sense that everyone thinks of today. It was a submission to a legitimate Fantasy publication.

However, this was the case that made reading fanfic by the original author such a bad legal idea and started the downturn in the respectability levels given to fanfic and fanfic writers. It also closed down "Friends of Darkover" and other open-submission anthologies that had been open at the time, which was a great loss, IMO.

Apsu

Orange
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't MZB use characters, settings, and plot devices from other books herself?

Aren't all Arthurian tales a form of fanfic themselves? Are they not just because the story is older?

I mean, I read a story about the life of Jesus, with Jesus as a main character, a couple years back. What's the difference between that and the Arthurian tales and fanfic?

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
If I ever get to the point where people are ficcing my work, i'll be ecstatic.

I love the idea of people writing fic about the things I've created - doesn't mean I ever want to read it (and I really don't - I'm sure I'd be majorly squicked) but I'd def just turn a blind eye to it (unless someone was going all crazy and trying to make money.)

Status
Not open for further replies.