How would - or did - you react (burglary)???

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been the victim of a burglary/break-in while you were at home? What went through your head? How did you react and what did you do? How did it make you feel, etc.? [I can only imagine how frightening this would be...]

Anyone else...if you woke up to the sound of breaking glass or a door being kicked in, etc. or just thought an intruder was in your residence --- what goes through your mind and what would you do?

I'm interested in your personal feelings on this and not necessarily what you think you should do, etc.

THANK YOU!!! :)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been the victim of a burglary/break-in while you were at home? What went through your head? How did you react and what did you do? How did it make you feel, etc.? [I can only imagine how frightening this would be...]

Anyone else...if you woke up to the sound of breaking glass or a door being kicked in, etc. or just thought an intruder was in your residence --- what goes through your mind and what would you do?

I'm interested in your personal feelings on this and not necessarily what you think you should do, etc.

THANK YOU!!! :)

This happened twice to me over the last 35 years. I came into my house and the door had been kicked in and all my camera equipment and some jewelry had been stolen. I had just gotten a bunch of cameras and lenses from my dad, who wasn't using them anymore. They were beautiful Nikons and there was a telephoto and wide angle lens that I was dying to use but never got the chance.

The schumck also smashed some jewelry boxes and stole some of my jewelry, although it was all costume jewelry (good costume jewelry, thought) and I'm sure the fence he brought it too laughed at him.) It broke my heart a little to loose the camera stuff.

The other time, when I was in college, two young men pushed their way into my apartment and pulled a gun on me and my boyfriend. I got pissed off when they grabbed my flute (I had a flute final the next day.)

I stood up and said, "Give me back my flute!" They had the gun onj my boyfriend but then pointed it at me. That pissed me off even more and I repeated my demand. They didn't give it back. They turned tail and ran down the three flights of stairs and down the street with me after them.

I'm not much of a runner and they got away, but with nothing else. This still pisses me off. Son of a bitch!

By the way, I'm female and 5'2" tall.

Oh, one other time, I was in my half of the duplex in which I lived and sensed that something was off. I opened my door and saw that there were intruders in the apartment below mine. I went back in and called 911, but since we were in the less than good neighborhood, it took about 20 minutes for the cops to show up. I couldn't wait so I went outside to the front walk and waited for the burglers to come out. They saw me and went out the back door instead, but I'd frightened them and they didn't get anything. When the cops finally showed up they told me that I shouldn't have done that, but I certainly wasn't going to cower in my place while my neighbor got robbed.

Maybe I'm not usual.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
They'll get one chance to surrender, if circumstances allow. Then they'll be stopped.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
How would - or did - you react (burglary)???

THANK YOU!!!

Yes, yes indeed. What went through my head was a product of curiosity and puzzlement. But in order to understand why, here’s the whole story, or at least as much as I’ll tell…

I was in college, staying at my folk’s house one summer, and while they were overseas, my cousin -- we’ll call her Harriet -- wanted to drop by on her day off from work and make use of the pool. She was in her twenties, blonde, and newly buxomed from the addition of some aftermarket accessories. So I said, okay, sure, come on over. I’ll just be sitting out on the back porch studying.

She came over in her new blue bikini (this is important, by the way), a towel over one shoulder. She had walked, living no more than a block away in the quiet little suburb, and we chitchatted a bit, then she hopped in the pool to float around on an air mattress. I, meanwhile, ventured into the kitchen to slice up a watermelon to snack upon, leaving half the melon and the big carving knife on the kitchen counter (this is important, too, by the way). Outside again, we shared the watermelon. I read a little.

Then the back door opened -- it was one of those sliding glass doors -- and this big fellow was standing there in a pair of shorts and shoes, looking around. I thought that was odd because I didn’t recognize him, but I also fully expected my brother in law to have brought the fellow over, and probably to use the pool, too. In those days, brother in law would often stop by unexpectedly to chat, sometimes bringing a buddy, so my initial reaction was this: well, brother in law -- we’ll call him Skippy -- is probably here, too, and Skippy will probably materialize any moment. That didn’t happen. Instead, this stranger we’ll call Goon, stared at cousin Harriet, who was lounging in the pool and staring back at him through sunglasses.

I asked Goon, “Who are you, and are you here with anyone that I know?” Naturally, I expected that he’d introduce himself and say that he was here with Skippy. Instead, he stared at cousin Harriet.

By then the this-ain’t-right vibe that occurred before he even opened that back door was getting louder. Goon spat a blob of tobacco juice on the back porch. That was devilishly impolite, and not the sort of thing any of Skippy’s friends would do. Clearly Skippy wasn’t here. This guy had showed up all on his own. I put my book down and stood up. Goon looked at me. I asked him, “What are you here for?”

Goon looked at newly buxomed Harriet in her bright blue bikini and said to her, “You know what I’m here for.”

At the time, that made utterly no sense to me. (And if you can’t guess by now, I’ll tell you later.) I told Goon, “I think you’d better leave.”

Goon, a taller, heavier guy than myself, stepped out of the open doorway, off the back step, onto the patio, and toward me. My eyes went to his hands, the waistline of his shorts, his pockets, looking for anything that might indicate a weapon of some sort. Nothing obvious showed, and while that bad vibe was telling me quite clearly that this fellow was here for no good purpose, another part of me was trying to rationalize his presence. He reached up with his right hand toward my left shoulder. I pushed his hand away and told him not to do that. He stepped closer and tried again. I backstepped and said, “Don’t try to touch me.”

Oh but he kept moving toward me. So there’s there a tree nearby, a fruitless Mulberry, as it turns out, and a pretty big one. While he keeps advancing, I tell him five times, “Go away. I’m going to call the police. You should leave before they arrive.” While doing this, I maneuver to not only get the tree between the two of us, but to put myself closer to the still-open back door than he is. Once I’m in position, I tell him once more that I’m going to call police and that I recommend he leave before they arrive.

Inside, I no sooner grab the phone off the kitchen wall than I see the Goon coming in the back door. I turn toward him. On my right, there’s a long kitchen table and some chairs, no easy escape that direction, and on my left, there’s a kitchen counter with half a watermelon on it and, yes, that big carving knife. There’s also a blank expression on Goon’s face, and in an instant I’m thinking of how I’m boxed in, there’s a big knife within reach that I don’t want this guy to grab, that look on his face is all bad business, and the phone in my hand upon which I have just dialed 911 is abso-frikkin-lutely useless.

So Goon steps across my only easy escape route and I tell him quite firmly, “Do not approach me.”

This was good advice.

But Goon’s hands came up in what looked to me like a close, clinch, grapple attitude, and all that vibe telling me that he was here with bad intentions suddenly penetrated my thick skull, and everything my instructors had ever told me about people’s last thoughts being, “I can’t believe this is happening to me,” made a buncha sense.

When I realized that, yep, this bastard wasn’t going to listen to good advice and, yep, he was really here to do bad things, my very next thought was: Sorry, but this is going to hurt.

I leaped forward just as he closed, smashing the middle of his face with a straight right. His head popped back like it was hinged, and a very curious thing happened to his eyeballs. They just went white. His eyelids came down halfway and fibrillated like windowshades in a cyclone. I thought, Well, he’s gonna be mad about that, so I’d better make sure he doesn’t get back up. See, he was sagging after that first shot, but I cracked him over the left temple with my right elbow. His head slammed left and a stream of blood spouted out of his ear. I remember that distinctly. Then I cracked him on the right temple with a left hook. Another stream of blood came out of that ear, and I remember that distinctly, too.

By this time my cousin Harriet had come into the house and although I was vaguely aware of her, I saw almost nothing else except this Goon. He was still on his way down, but I caught him in a front choke and hit him with six skip knees, working my way up from groin to solar plexus as he kept falling. One the ground, I squeezed the choke as hard as I could and all of the blood squirting out of his ears, nose, and mouth stopped like a faucet turned off.

Goon reached up toward my face with a hand, going for eyeballs. I considered biting that hand as hard as I could and holding on tight, but in case his blood was full of infectious crap, I didn’t want any of it in my mouth. I also thought of rolling him to crack his neck, but figured a clever lawyer could find a way to sue the hell out of me, and right about then I saw his other hand in a perfect gooseneck, elbow on floor, forearm upright, hand slack, and momentarily though of hammer-fisting that one to break it. But I was still in nice-guy mode (this is important later).
Somewhere in the midst is this tussle, probably when we first hit the ground, I noticed that Goon had the telephone in hand, the cord wrapped all around his hand and forearm. How he got it I have no idea, because at the moment he closed, that phone was the least important thing in the world. I forgot all about it.

But back to the tussle. See, I thought that this guy was going to die if I kept beating him like I was, so I had hit him less vigorously with those knees than I should have. And then I thought he was going to die if I held that choke too long, so I let him go. These notions of being kind to bad guys is a bad idea. See, after I let go of the choke, the guy put one on me.

Right about then I heard my cousin shouting to someone (I found out later she had somehow gotten hold of the phone), “They’re on the ground! They’re fighting!”

I slipped the guy’s choke before he locked it in and though that I should, a) break the arm he had handily given me, b) go ahead and shear off his noggin. But I was still in nice-guy mode, so I pushed away and noticed that cousin Harriet was gone. I exited the back door. She wasn’t there. I stepped around the corner of the house. She wasn’t there.

Out front, I noticed the garage door was open, the inner door from garage to house was open, and she was gone. Wherever she went, I had no idea.

I went next door to a neighbor’s house and asked her to call police. Turns out they showed up surprisingly fast, having already been alerted to Goon’s presence in the neighborhood. Another neighbor next door told me later she had seen the Goon stagger outside and fall into a lounge chair, blood all over his head and face. Two cops found him back there, he staggered up, and it took two of them to put him on the ground. She said that when they flipped him over after handcuffing him, his head was in a big puddle of his own blood.

My brother showed up while I was still at the police-calling neighbor’s place and saw an ambulance out front, lots of police cars, and said that the EMTs had the Goon’s head so bandaged he looked like a Q-tip.

I was later told that the Goon became combative at the hospital and that it took four cops to restrain him, he had a concussion, some messed up dental work, and other injuries.

Found out at the pre-trial hearing that he’d been discharged from the Marines after six years and had just gotten out of prison after a two-year visit. He was charged with second-degree burglary. Speculation had it that he’d seen my cousin walking over for a pool visit in her bikini, he’d followed her, and his statement to her, “You know what I’m here for,” meant that he’d shown up to rape her and that I was just an obstacle in his way.

Who knows.

What I do know is that lots of furniture got rearranged during the fracas and I have no memory of any of it ever being touched. At least not by me. I also know that I was covered with the guy’s blood and didn’t even know it till one of the policemen on scene asked me to turn around to check for wounds (I was wearing only swim trunks at the time of this little episode). I also know that I was cleaning blood out of the carpet, off the furniture and bookcases and telephone and walls for about a couple weeks after. One thing my instructors had never mentioned was how much people would bleed, and how it would go all over the place, as long as you kept hitting them. Kinda silly to never think about that. (My only experience with blood during training was seeing my own.)

Ah, one more thing. Guy went to jail for six months. About another six months after that, I read that he’d assaulted two fishermen on a local river.

Okay, one more thing, too: If I ever do this sort of thing again, no more kindness.

So, after that long and boring and largely off-the-top-of-my-head recollection, how did it make me feel?

My initial reaction was simply one of moderate anxiety, simply because I didn’t know who the fellow was or what he was up to.

When it became plain that he was bent on violence, my only feeling was one of disappointment. He had chosen badly and it was going to hurt him. I had really hoped he’d just go away.

Was I frightened? No. Not really. My anxiety was simply a contest between not knowing what he was up to, feeling that vibe that he was up to no good, and trying to think of peaceful, rational reasons for why he was there. In other words, there was friction between wanting to rationalize the guy’s presence and that vibe that said danger.

For a few months afterward, though, I didn’t like strangers getting too close to me, and I sure as heck didn’t like them making any sudden moves too close to me, either.

Sorry for the unedited ramble. Hope it answers your questions.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Years ago when my husband was out on a job (overnight), I picked up our daughter from the babysitter and we went home. Something didn't feel right immediately, but our dogs didn't seem upset, so I went upstairs and changed into home clothes. While we were eating supper I heard some noise upstairs that seemed a little out of place, but still no dog concern. It was finally time to get daughter ready for bed. As we went up the stairs, I saw that the entryway into the attic was pushed open (30" x 30" trapdoor of 1" plywood and plastered to match the ceiling in the hall - not so light weight). I turned daughter around, grabbed my purse, and we went to the neighbors house to call the police. They came after about a half hour (17 miles away). Of course, by that time, there was no one in the house. Their conclusion was that wind had lifted the trap door - with no windows open in the house to create any lift - come on now! (Twenty years later we had a tornado come through and it didn't lift the trapdoor.) My conclusion was that a neighborhood kid who'd come around some times to do odd jobs and earn some money was the culprit - reason the dogs weren't upset.

How did I feel (other than scared) - violated. It was a really creepy feeling and took quite a while after that for me to quit checking the entry way to the attic every time I went up the stairs. Puma

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
They'll get one chance to surrender, if circumstances allow. Then they'll be stopped.

Your reaction is the same as mine (I think)... The one time I thought someone had broken in (something had fallen off a shelf), I reached for the Sig and systematically cleared the house. Was I scared? You betcha but as you're a CI as well -- training and whatnot dictates your actions and you kind of go into "the zone".

thank you!

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
This happened twice to me over the last 35 years. I came into my house and the door had been kicked in and all my camera equipment and some jewelry had been stolen. I had just gotten a bunch of cameras and lenses from my dad, who wasn't using them anymore. They were beautiful Nikons and there was a telephoto and wide angle lens that I was dying to use but never got the chance.

The schumck also smashed some jewelry boxes and stole some of my jewelry, although it was all costume jewelry (good costume jewelry, thought) and I'm sure the fence he brought it too laughed at him.) It broke my heart a little to loose the camera stuff.

The other time, when I was in college, two young men pushed their way into my apartment and pulled a gun on me and my boyfriend. I got pissed off when they grabbed my flute (I had a flute final the next day.)

I stood up and said, "Give me back my flute!" They had the gun onj my boyfriend but then pointed it at me. That pissed me off even more and I repeated my demand. They didn't give it back. They turned tail and ran down the three flights of stairs and down the street with me after them.

I'm not much of a runner and they got away, but with nothing else. This still pisses me off. Son of a bitch!

By the way, I'm female and 5'2" tall.

Oh, one other time, I was in my half of the duplex in which I lived and sensed that something was off. I opened my door and saw that there were intruders in the apartment below mine. I went back in and called 911, but since we were in the less than good neighborhood, it took about 20 minutes for the cops to show up. I couldn't wait so I went outside to the front walk and waited for the burglers to come out. They saw me and went out the back door instead, but I'd frightened them and they didn't get anything. When the cops finally showed up they told me that I shouldn't have done that, but I certainly wasn't going to cower in my place while my neighbor got robbed.

Maybe I'm not usual.

Thank you, Stephanie! The bulldog is so you... :) I appreciate your insight as I have a hard time putting myself in other people's shoes in situations like this... I'm a "kill or be killed" sort (former Marine and former fed) so this really helps. I want my MC - who is neither former military or LE - to find a middle ground. She's not pissing her pants but she's struggling to overcome her fear and deal w/the situation while she waits for the cops. I've spoken to some people who said they ran for the closet and others who grab the firearm and prepare for a confrontation. (That brings up the entire Castle Law issue -- VA unfortunately requires you to take up a defensive position and wait for the intruder to confront you as opposed to TX and other states where a homeowner can shoot someone who crosses the threshold).

[If I ever get into a tight spot I'm calling you! :D] Thanks again.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago when my husband was out on a job (overnight), I picked up our daughter from the babysitter and we went home. Something didn't feel right immediately, but our dogs didn't seem upset, so I went upstairs and changed into home clothes. While we were eating supper I heard some noise upstairs that seemed a little out of place, but still no dog concern. It was finally time to get daughter ready for bed. As we went up the stairs, I saw that the entryway into the attic was pushed open (30" x 30" trapdoor of 1" plywood and plastered to match the ceiling in the hall - not so light weight). I turned daughter around, grabbed my purse, and we went to the neighbors house to call the police. They came after about a half hour (17 miles away). Of course, by that time, there was no one in the house. Their conclusion was that wind had lifted the trap door - with no windows open in the house to create any lift - come on now! (Twenty years later we had a tornado come through and it didn't lift the trapdoor.) My conclusion was that a neighborhood kid who'd come around some times to do odd jobs and earn some money was the culprit - reason the dogs weren't upset.

How did I feel (other than scared) - violated. It was a really creepy feeling and took quite a while after that for me to quit checking the entry way to the attic every time I went up the stairs. Puma

Thank you, Puma. Feeling violated is what immediately came to my mind -- you think your home is sacred and when someone intrudes on the sanctity of the home it's hard to deal with. Like Stephanie you remained calm, cool and collected. :)

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Found out at the pre-trial hearing that he’d been discharged from the Marines after six years and had just gotten out of prison after a two-year visit. He was charged with second-degree burglary. Speculation had it that he’d seen my cousin walking over for a pool visit in her bikini, he’d followed her, and his statement to her, “You know what I’m here for,” meant that he’d shown up to rape her and that I was just an obstacle in his way.

Who knows.

What I do know is that lots of furniture got rearranged during the fracas and I have no memory of any of it ever being touched. At least not by me. I also know that I was covered with the guy’s blood and didn’t even know it till one of the policemen on scene asked me to turn around to check for wounds (I was wearing only swim trunks at the time of this little episode). I also know that I was cleaning blood out of the carpet, off the furniture and bookcases and telephone and walls for about a couple weeks after. One thing my instructors had never mentioned was how much people would bleed, and how it would go all over the place, as long as you kept hitting them. Kinda silly to never think about that. (My only experience with blood during training was seeing my own.)

Ah, one more thing. Guy went to jail for six months. About another six months after that, I read that he’d assaulted two fishermen on a local river.

Okay, one more thing, too: If I ever do this sort of thing again, no more kindness.

So, after that long and boring and largely off-the-top-of-my-head recollection, how did it make me feel?

My initial reaction was simply one of moderate anxiety, simply because I didn’t know who the fellow was or what he was up to.

When it became plain that he was bent on violence, my only feeling was one of disappointment. He had chosen badly and it was going to hurt him. I had really hoped he’d just go away.

Was I frightened? No. Not really. My anxiety was simply a contest between not knowing what he was up to, feeling that vibe that he was up to no good, and trying to think of peaceful, rational reasons for why he was there. In other words, there was friction between wanting to rationalize the guy’s presence and that vibe that said danger.

For a few months afterward, though, I didn’t like strangers getting too close to me, and I sure as heck didn’t like them making any sudden moves too close to me, either.

Sorry for the unedited ramble. Hope it answers your questions.

Thank you, Summonere. What is your background (ie., your training you mentioned)? LE or military? It sounds like you remained quite calm (along with opening a can of whup ass) and I'm wondering if that's just your nature or the result of your training. :)

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
When I was about 12 years old, two men tried to break in to our house. I was watching my siblings and my parents were gone. What I remember was sheer panic, and getting the shakes, and having a hard time dialing 911 because of all the adrenaline made my fingers stiff and jabby.

At the same time, part of my mind kept insisting that the men trying to break the door down could not possibly have bad intentions, and so if I could only think it through correctly, I'd understand why good people were trying to do what they were doing.

We had a rottweiler who went bezerk and nearly took the door out from the inside trying to get at the burglars. I remember trying to quiet the dog because she was so out of control trying to protect us - I think I was still unable to accept what was happening.

I heard one of the guys say through the door, "that sounds like a big dog." And then they left. In some ways, that was the scariest part, because it was so quiet. When I went to call 911, the operator told me to stay on the line, which was one of those old corded telephones. While I was on hold, I saw that earlier in the day, we had left the sliding glass door open, and I couldn't close it without letting go of the phone.

I was very sure that as soon as I let go of the phone to close and lock the door, the burglars would be on the other side, pulling it open and I wouldn't even be able to tell the 911 operator what had happened. So I left the door open and stayed on the phone. Which, as I'm sure anyone could guess, nearly gave my mom a heart attack later when she found out what had happened.

Hope this helps!

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
We weren't exactly burgled, but here's my experience if it helps any. I think I was eleven at the time:

I got home from school, and noticed that the handle on the front door looked funny. The right edge was all dented, and the wood on the door was chipped away. My imagination got going, and I thought of burglars hammering away at the door, but then I dismissed it as a silly thought because that would never happen around here and I was really thirsty and hot and wanted to watch TV.

So I went inside the house anyways. My dog greeted me enthusiastically, and whined a bit and licked my hand, which wasn't that much out of the ordinary. I called my Mom to tell her I got home from school all right. I conveniently forgot to mention anything from the door, and Mom was coming home in half an hour anyways.

When she got home, she immediately asked me what I'd done to the door. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Me: It was like that when I came home. I thought that maybe you'd done it.
Mom: What? (frowns)
Me: (tries to avert blame) Uh...I think, maybe somebody tried to break in.
Sister: What?

(It should be mentioned here that I broke pretty much everything inside the house and never wanted to admit to it. So it makes sense that they were suspicious of me at first).

But I kept saying that, and at last my Mom called the police. He showed up at our doorstep, and I sat on the stairs and tried to listen in. And it turned out that two houses further down the street had been robbed that day, and they'd been completely cleaned out.

The weird thing was though, that somebody had obviously tried to break in to our house, but hadn't taken anything. The policemen said that they were perhaps 80% done with breaking through the door and they must've been scared off by something. It turns out that my dog must've scared them off; at least that's what the policeman said.

Throughout it all: I wasn't scared in the least, just a bit anxious about the door because I thought that it was weird and hoped I wouldn't get blamed for it. Then I was excited by the policeman because he was carrying a real gun and then proud of my dog. The next day, I proceeded to tell all my friends at school. Mostly I thought how stupid the burglars must've been because the fence and side door had been unlocked.

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Wittyusernamehere & Chocowrites!
I hadn't even thought of how a child would react to something like this... thank goodness for dogs. People always say that a dog is often the best deterrent to crime and your stories support that ---- good thing a lot of criminals are afraid of dogs.

wittyusernamehere: your situation is similar to my MCs too. Being in the house and getting that adrenaline rush as you reach for the phone and your mind just starts racing, etc.

Thanks again.

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW on how a burglar might act: My mom had someone break in to her office building while she was there.

When she was re-telling how it was a bad vibe, I asked her for specifics, and she said, "The guy didn't make any social eye contact. He saw I was there, and he went to casing the rest of the room."

When another person came into view, the guy turned around and walked out. During that month, someone was killed in their building in that area. Don't know if it was the same guy, but it was a pretty small town for there to be two guys doing break ins around there.

Again, hope this is helpful.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW on how a burglar might act: My mom had someone break in to her office building while she was there.

When she was re-telling how it was a bad vibe, I asked her for specifics, and she said, "The guy didn't make any social eye contact. He saw I was there, and he went to casing the rest of the room."

When another person came into view, the guy turned around and walked out. During that month, someone was killed in their building in that area. Don't know if it was the same guy, but it was a pretty small town for there to be two guys doing break ins around there.

Again, hope this is helpful.

Thank you - that does help! Burglars are as varied as their "victims" and I can't imagine what your Mother was thinking at the time. Sounds like this guy later made the mistake of targeting someone like Summonere. ;)

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
I have two semi-relevant experiences.

When I was 5 we pulled up to our house and could hear things banging around inside. My mom collected antique cans and knew immediately that someone was going through them looking for money. She locked my little sister and me in the car and tried to go through the garage door, but she couldn't (he had pushed the fridge against it). So all 5'0" of my redheaded mother goes through the front door with a hairbrush in her pocket, yelling that she has a gun. She went in the kitchen, saw that we'd been robbed, and came back out to take us to the neighbor's house. She found out later that the man was in her bedroom while she was in the house.

He stole some jewelry, my uncle's leather jacket, some other stuff. A few weeks later she saw the guy walking around our neighborhood in my uncle's jacket. She called my uncle and tried to convince him to round up his roofing buddies and come beat the guy up since the police didn't seem interested, but he had the brains to say no. We moved not too much later.

My other experience was coming out of the high school around 6:00 one evening to find a very large man trying to hot wire my Jeep. Instead of going back in for help, I ran at him yelling profanities. I'm the same size as my mom, but lucky for me, he ran off. In a fit I drove around trying to find him, then got my head together and went to a friend's house to calm down.

I don't recommend either reaction to anyone, but that's how it went down. Adrenaline trumps logic every time, at least in my family.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like us little gals are kinda mean when provoked. I think one big thing is that most of us do not react intellectually. We don't say, "Oh, there's some bad guy with a gun/in my house/stealing my stuff." My reaction was pure pissed-offedness. I'm usually very polite. I'm such a lady. :) I like to set a proper table and always say please and thank you. But something just snapped.

I'm sure that if I actually had to hit someone, they wouldn't be hurt in the slightest. But bad guys do't like the unexpected and a short female supposed victim advancing instead of running away or fainting is beyond their thought process. If anyone hurt my dog, though, they're dead meat.

(All of my stories happened before I met my husband, the martial arts instructor.)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like us little gals are kinda mean when provoked. I think one big thing is that most of us do not react intellectually. We don't say, "Oh, there's some bad guy with a gun/in my house/stealing my stuff." My reaction was pure pissed-offedness. I'm usually very polite. I'm such a lady. :) I like to set a proper table and always say please and thank you. But something just snapped.

I'm sure that if I actually had to hit someone, they wouldn't be hurt in the slightest. But bad guys do't like the unexpected and a short female supposed victim advancing instead of running away or fainting is beyond their thought process. If anyone hurt my dog, though, they're dead meat.

(All of my stories happened before I met my husband, the martial arts instructor.)

You just reminded me of Anita Blake! :) I think my first thought would be "I'm going to die!" followed by "Where's my Sig?" :D

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
What I would do personally would be to call for one of my brothers in the other room to get the shot gun and kill them. And hope that they wouldn't wait to see if either

A. I don't have a brother
B. I do have a brother but he isn't there at the moment
C. I don't have a gun.

Because that last one would screw me.

Most criminals will run if you even start to talk about your guns, or call for someone else in the house to get a gun and kill them. This is because there are very few rules on when you can't kill an intruder.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
What I would do personally would be to call for one of my brothers in the other room to get the shot gun and kill them. And hope that they wouldn't wait to see if either

A. I don't have a brother
B. I do have a brother but he isn't there at the moment
C. I don't have a gun.

Because that last one would screw me.

Most criminals will run if you even start to talk about your guns, or call for someone else in the house to get a gun and kill them. This is because there are very few rules on when you can't kill an intruder.

Thank you, Nivarion :) That's actually a good strategy - start yelling about guns and the gang of thugs upstairs with you!

As for the last part of your post... Unfortunately, Virginia (my home state) has no Castle Law, which is strange considering even CA has one! :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine_in_the_United_States

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this is just me. I'm not judging anyone else's choices. I have never owned a gun. I will never own a gun. I don't hunt, I don't need one for self defense and as you can see by my story (above) I'm the one chasing the guys with the guns armed with only a bad attitude, body posture and nasty verbage.

I think that my having a gun around the house means that I am in fear, expecting bad guys to come into my house and hurt me. I know it happened before, but that was when I was living in the 'hood and next to a crack house. If I'd had one then, either the bad guys would have shot me, the bad guys would have broken in to steal my gun or I would have shot one of them. I don't know about you, but the idea of killing another person when you can get rid of them simply by yelling at them, doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to kill anyone. It's not part of my hero fantasy.

I've managed to defuse some bad situations (I stopped a guy in the next apartment from beating his girlfriend, for example) by not being afraid and using Jew-do and Jew-juitsu, the ability to use words instead of weapons. This has worked for me. Bad folks just don't mess with me in the first place.

Peace! Love! Rock 'n' Roll!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I came home alone to my first apartment and heard a crash in my bedroom while I was still putting my keys up. My first thought was the cats - but the cats came from the other hall, with big eyes.

I thought Don't be silly. Something probably just fell and had the urge to go into the bedroom and see. But I thought better of it. I got myself halfway out the door already and yelled for him to just get out, that I was leaving and I'd be back with the cops. Then I ran as fast as I could to my car and called as I drove away.

The screenporch was slit with a razor, and someone had been there.

Being young, leaning towards considering myself silly was the feeling I most remember. But I'm stubborn and knew somebody could be in there - why not? It does happen. I hoped to God telling him I was leaving was a good idea. It was, apparently.

The next time was a few years ago, and I was in the shower. My dog had already bitten the dude [in my porch!], dude left in getaway car, and neighbor had 911 on the phone all while I was shaving my legs! Crazy. And some folks thought it was bad that I let my dog posture to strangers coming up until I said otherwise. That was exactly why! He was very proud, btw :D

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
OK, this is just me. I'm not judging anyone else's choices. I have never owned a gun. I will never own a gun. I don't hunt, I don't need one for self defense and as you can see by my story (above) I'm the one chasing the guys with the guns armed with only a bad attitude, body posture and nasty verbage.

I think that my having a gun around the house means that I am in fear, expecting bad guys to come into my house and hurt me. I know it happened before, but that was when I was living in the 'hood and next to a crack house. If I'd had one then, either the bad guys would have shot me, the bad guys would have broken in to steal my gun or I would have shot one of them. I don't know about you, but the idea of killing another person when you can get rid of them simply by yelling at them, doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to kill anyone. It's not part of my hero fantasy.

I've managed to defuse some bad situations (I stopped a guy in the next apartment from beating his girlfriend, for example) by not being afraid and using Jew-do and Jew-juitsu, the ability to use words instead of weapons. This has worked for me. Bad folks just don't mess with me in the first place.

Peace! Love! Rock 'n' Roll!

This is starting to remind me of that "gun/no gun" thread that went South and was closed by a Mod... but interesting points and thank you for clarifying you are stating your personal thoughts and aren't judging anyone else, etc. (cheers!) :)

I personally own guns but then I'm a former LE agent and I still go target shooting on a regular basis (for furn and to maintain my proficiency). In short I'm well-trained in the use of firearms (along with the legal ramifications re: the use of deadly force). :guns:

For me it's a hobby and while I'm trained in hand-to-hand combat (USMC), defensive tactics (Fed LE agency) and Aikido, if someone enters my residence intent on raping and/or murdering me they are going down no questions asked. Personally, I don't wanna get up close and personal w/such a personand I would only shoot someone as a last resort. :box:I don't live in fear of this happening but there are people out there who have no qualms about taking your life for a few hundred dollars AND there are sociopathic lunatics out there who'd enjoy doing much worse than stealing your valuables. Please know I'm not trigger happy or anything....and I believe in responsible gun ownership. Live offensively! :D

I hope this doesn't set off a flurry of anti-hunting and anti-gun posts. :) :e2thud:

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I came home alone to my first apartment and heard a crash in my bedroom while I was still putting my keys up. My first thought was the cats - but the cats came from the other hall, with big eyes.

I thought Don't be silly. Something probably just fell and had the urge to go into the bedroom and see. But I thought better of it. I got myself halfway out the door already and yelled for him to just get out, that I was leaving and I'd be back with the cops. Then I ran as fast as I could to my car and called as I drove away.

The screenporch was slit with a razor, and someone had been there.

Being young, leaning towards considering myself silly was the feeling I most remember. But I'm stubborn and knew somebody could be in there - why not? It does happen. I hoped to God telling him I was leaving was a good idea. It was, apparently.

The next time was a few years ago, and I was in the shower. My dog had already bitten the dude [in my porch!], dude left in getaway car, and neighbor had 911 on the phone all while I was shaving my legs! Crazy. And some folks thought it was bad that I let my dog posture to strangers coming up until I said otherwise. That was exactly why! He was very proud, btw :D

Backslashbaby --- you, like Kate, seem to have bad luck when it comes to multiple intruders!! Was this a rural area or city? And once again -- GO DOGS!!!! :)

JMBlackman

I’m trying.
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, while I was sleeping in my bedroom, two men broke into the house. I shared this apartment with my now fiance, two of his male friends and their girlfriends (yes, it was a full apartment). My bedroom was at the very end of the apartment, opposite the front door. I didn't hear them break the door open with a crowbar. I did however, hear my puppy growling at the locked bedroom door.

Two seconds after I woke up, the bedroom door made a bump noise. I thought it was one of the other girlfriends dropping off my laundry, so I got up to open the door. But then I saw the crow bar sticking through the side of door, bowing it out to the point that it was about to break open with me standing on the opposite side in nothing but panties. I didn't mean to but I screamed, "Stop!" like I was in some bad infomercial about intruders.

Amazingly enough, it worked! He retracted the crowbar and ran down the hall. This is when I found out there was a second intruder. I heard a second set of foot steps and the shadow of this man stopped right in front of the door, stood there for a few seconds and then ran after the second set.

I grabbed a hammer, called the cops (and my fiance) and sat in the corner with my puppy behind me (like I'd protect her when she's the one who had saved me). My hands were sweaty. My heart was beating so hard it hurt and I had to pee really, really bad because of how scared I was of the second guy, not the first one. My legs were weak and I just kept thinking, "I'm not going to let anything happen to this dog." As if they were interested in my mutt!

The cops came and I was notified that these two men had been hitting up our neighbor apartments as well all in one day. Nice to know I wasn't special. A TV and a PS3 were stolen from our apartment.

In response to the whole incident, we purchased a gun which I am now able to shoot proficiently. I have not had to use it and hope not to ever have to, but it makes me feel nice when I'm alone. I still jump up randomly at night and during the day when I hear loud sounds. The apartment I'm in now is much smaller and I have nightmares that if someone broke in, I wouldn't have enough time to do anything because our bedroom is so close to the door.

Anyway, moral of the story: yelling is powerful. Haha.