Would This Freak You Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMagic528

Master of the Darklands :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Consider this scenario, if you would:

You're interested in having a vamp (female) feed from you because you feel it would be a . . . em . . . pleasant experience (read between the lines). A like-minded buddy suggests a blood bar hidden beneath a local motel as a starting point for your venture. And you go. You don't consider this cheating on your wife because there won't be any actual sex.

So, you've been there for a bit over an hour trying to get through enough tequila to calm your considerable nervousness. Apart from some 'you're-in-the-wrong-place-and-you-know-it' stares, everyone's pretty much ignored you.

Then, just when you've decided you're leaving in another twenty minutes, this bombshell approaches you, sits in the booth with you, and begins to chat. The talk is going surprisingly well, actually.

Two things, however, have caught your attention:

1. She's addressing you by name. You haven't told her your name.

2. The things she's saying and doing are very nearly verbatum of the fantasy you've been playing in your head for the last little while.

So, my question is: Would this freak you out too much? Or would you go ahead and play it through?

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I would be watchful and play it out.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
It wouldn't freak me out as I've seen this played out in a similar way in movies like, Blade and The Queen of the Damned.

I'd be more worried about telling it well enough that people didn't find it typical.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. If I were black, I'd get the hell out of dodge, because you know I'm the token-black-dude-who-dies-to-establish-tension.

Otherwise, roll with it.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Depends. If my charisma was lower than 18 then I'd assume it is a trap.

Real answer: In "real" life yes I would think it odd. In a book setting, no. Or if I did it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I would be suspicious that the bombshell knew my name. I might suspect that my wife did consider this cheating and the bombshell was sent to ruin my night (and possibly get evidence for divorce proceedings ...) - a honey trap, as it were.

Apsu

Orange
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Just to make sure I understand, the guy is basically accepting an eternal curse just because it sounds like fun, right? I mean, I'm no expert on vampires, but being fed on by a vampire makes you a vampire too, right? What's the danger otherwise?

Original post before edit: It would freak me out, but I wouldn't be the type of guy to follow through on a fantasy like that (assuming immortality comes with it as I understand vampires), and I likely wouldn't fantasize about it at all, even if I lived in a world where this was reality.

However, I think the guy who would fantasize and follow through on this would not be smart enough to get freaked out enough to chicken out. I don't think he can see past his hormones/pleasure center getting off.

Last edited:

Perdoon

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Apsu's original post. Basically, he's got a somewhat creepy fantasy that he's trying to fulfil. If he's still there after feeling so uncomfortable for so long, drinking and then getting approached by a bombshell who IS his fantasy, his brain's not getting much of a say in what's happening :tongue

If you think people might be put off by him walking into the creepily accurate fantasy, I'd play up the drunk angle a little

LisaHy

It's probably a tumour
Registered
Reaction score
Part of it is going to be dependent on your particular vampire traits. Vampies are obviously a known entity to, at least, parts of your novel's society, so one would assume that the abilities of the vampires are known. Do your vamps have telepathic traits? If yes, it shouldn't freak this guy out. If they don't, then it probably would freak him out.

It all comes down to what your guy knows and what he doesn't.

Cheers, Lisa.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
ETA: Just to make sure I understand, the guy is basically accepting an eternal curse just because it sounds like fun, right? I mean, I'm no expert on vampires, but being fed on by a vampire makes you a vampire too, right? What's the danger otherwise?

snip

Actually, not necessarily. In some lore, the vampire can only create or turn another into a vampire by a blood ritual that requires exchange of blood between the victim and the vampire or the victim feeding from the vampires blood.

That depends on how the author would perceive the vampiric lore. Does one bite do it or do they need to exchange blood or does the victim need to draw solely from the vampire...

BlackMagic528

Registered
Reaction score

No. :) The way I write them, it requires a great deal more than simply feeding from a human to sire a new vamp. The act of feeding - when it's done properly - doesn't leave any lasting negative effects. In fact, if the vamp is extremely skilled, s/he won't even leave a mark. ;)

Part of it is going to be dependent on your particular vampire traits. Vampies are obviously a known entity to, at least, parts of your novel's society, so one would assume that the abilities of the vampires are known. Do your vamps have telepathic traits? If yes, it shouldn't freak this guy out. If they don't, then it probably would freak him out.

It all comes down to what your guy knows and what he doesn't.

Cheers, Lisa.

I should explain my terminology. When I say "vamp," that doesn't necessarily mean specifically "vampire." "Vamp," in my writing, can refer to one of three similar but different beings: vampire, vix, or vyca. In this instance, the gentleman in question is rather ignorant of there being three different vamps, so while he thinks he's dealing with a vampire, the woman in question is actually a vyca. (So, to answer your question, vyca have "telepathic" [I shy from that word] traits, but not vampires. :))

Sorry, I keep forgetting that I need to explain these things on this site. My bad. :)

Actually, not necessarily. In some lore, the vampire can only create or turn another into a vampire by a blood ritual that requires exchange of blood between the victim and the vampire or the victim feeding from the vampires blood.

That depends on how the author would perceive the vampiric lore. Does one bite do it or do they need to exchange blood or does the victim need to draw solely from the vampire...

Yep. That's the way I do it.

The way I write it, the procedure for siring a new vamp is very specific and almost impossible to do by "accident" as it were (notice I said "almost"). It goes like this (again, in my writing; others may vary):

Step 1: Believe it or not, it's necessary for the human to agree first. Otherwise, the mystical processes just won't happen. Now, there's nothing saying that they have to know exactly what they're agreeing to, however . . . .

Step 2: This is where the feeding takes place. Important part here is not to let the human totally lose consciousness.

Step 3: It's necessary for the human to take a small amount of blood from the vamp.

That's it. The following night, you'll have yourself a new vamp. Then, the hard part begins . . . .

So, to get back on topic, there's no way this scenario is going to end in a siring. :) This guy's just looking for a "thrill" as it were (you know what I mean). That's all. :)

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts so far. :) Keep 'em coming. :)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
My first thought? Hooker.

My second thought? I wonder how much she charges.

By the time my third thought gets around to forming I figure the blood in my brain would have drained elsewhere and I'd be thinking with the head that actually knows what it wants and doesn't mind standing up and saying so.

:)

RavenCorinnCarluk

Burgeoning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raven.youareannoying.us
I would probably be a mixture of both. Freaked out that she's talking to me, that she knows my name, but totally wanting it to keep going, since this is what I've wanted. All that delicious thrilling fear, like riding a roller coaster. You know it's dangerous, and it's scary, but yet you know you're safe.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about your vix and vyca before. Did you make those up yourself, or are they from actual lore? Just curious.

What's the difference? Are vyca more dangerous than vampires?

As for the topic, it depends. The guy thinks he's dealing with a vampire. How much does he know about vampires? Does he know they're not supposed to be telepathic? Are vyca worse than normal vampires?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Nope. I think I have a version of this scene somewhere around here. It didn't end well as I recollect.

You don't have to be a vampire to pick up on someone who'd just looking for a little extra something on the side. A vampire, otoh, is usually looking for someone they can lure into their clutches that won't initiate any fuss. A guy like this is wearing a psychic sign around his neck that reads, "Eat me."

BlackMagic528

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about your vix and vyca before. Did you make those up yourself, or are they from actual lore? Just curious.

A little bit of both, I'd say. All three - vix, vampire, and vyca - carry aspects that have been associated with vampires at one time or another. I just decided that instead of having all these different traits be true of vampires, I'd split it up into three different beings, which is more convienient for the way I work my writing. :)

Here's the basic breakdown:

Vix: The least powerful vampiric being. Vixes are pretty much halfway between human and vampire, mystically and in physical strength. They still have functioning bodies, so it's necessary to eat and drink regularly - and, of course, it's necessary to feed on human blood as well. Typically, vixes can go for a good while (but no more than a week or so) without any serious need for feeding, but the decision is up to them if they actually want to wait that long. Vixes are able to spend time in sunlight, though the longer they do the more uncomfortable it is - their body temperature rises quickly in sunlight and if left unchecked will kill them. Figure no ore than four or five hours at a time without cooling off in the shade for a while. Also, a vix can cast a reflection, but only if there's no sunlight present. Lastly, the long-standing belief of a vamp turning into a bat, according to my writing, is actually a vix's power, not vampires. :) But, just to be somewhat pseudoscientific about it, I write it that it's a group of bats (to account for the account of matter it takes to form a typical human) and not just one. ;)

Vampire: My version isn't real different from what you'd typically imagine, so I won't go into any huge explaination. :) Fairly standard. :) I do say in my writing that they are the most common vampiric being.

Vyca: I could write a book just explaining vyca, so forgive me, but this is the Cliff's Notes version. :) The big difference about vyca is that they are a collective being. While there's several million (number to be determined) of them in the world, they all make up one single being - essentially all sharing one huge superbrain. They do have some "telepathic" power (I really try to stay away from that description, because it's not quite accurate) that's basically the same extra senses that vampires have taken to an extreme. Other than the much stronger senses and the collective, though, no difference from the other two. But it's the collective that makes them the most powerful of the vampiric beings. ;)

What's the difference? Are vyca more dangerous than vampires?

Matter of opinion. See above. :)

As for the topic, it depends. The guy thinks he's dealing with a vampire. How much does he know about vampires? Does he know they're not supposed to be telepathic? Are vyca worse than normal vampires?

The most important thing to understand is that my vamps are not inherently evil. :) Now, some don't want to play by the rules, but that's also true of humans, isn't it? ;) In this particular instance, this guy's only minimally familiar with the underworld, and he's going into this venture with quite a few incorrect assumptions in his head. The vyca he ends up dealing with happens to be the de-facto MC for this installment of the series, who is in her first night as a vyca. She's got one single goal in this scenario - and it's not the same as his. But, the guy is convenient for her, so why not play along with him if it gets her what she's after? ;) The guy doesn't know this, but the trick for her is going to be making sure she does it right, because this will be her first time . . . .

Thanks for the interest. :)

Kyle

BlackMagic528

Registered
Reaction score
If they're all the same though, wouldn't her goal be the same as the hive mind? Or am I just misunderstanding the vyca?

No, you're not misunderstanding. :) In a few hours from that point in the story, what you've just brought up will be the case. At the point in time this thread is speaking of, she's not quite fully transitioned into the collective. It's still her first night, and while the transition from human to vyca is complete, it takes quite a while to fully join the collective - about 12-15 hours, depending on the person. You just can't dump that much power into a person all at once - not without killing them, no matter what they are. At this point, she's about a third of the way there, so she's only got a minimal connection to the collective. She's basically on her own for a while yet (although there is someone - not another vyca - looking after her, just in case).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.