PDA

View Full Version : I'm undone...

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 06:44 AM
There has been so much love that has flowed my way tonight through reps points and posts on Tiny Terror's thread about her heart breaking struggle, that I have to tell you what an amazing group we have here on AW. I'm just in awe. Truly. And so grateful. And just when I thought the tears had stopped I received a PM from our very own Magdalen who wrote a poem just for me.

I have to post it. It's so wonderful. So beautiful. To be given such an honour as to have someone write something and tell me it's just for me, I---I just can't stop the tears. She told me to fix it up if I want, it's mine but I can't claim this. This is HER work. Here it is:

I didn't just bring her home from the streets
where she crawled among the lowest forms of life;

I wasn't just her warden when she was trapped,
a prisoner of her own making;

I wasn’t just her doctor, sustaining a life
she’d tried her best to end;

I wasn’t just her nurse, mopping up puke
or keeping watch as she slept;

I wasn’t just a counselor, dissecting her behavior
for tell-tale signs of truth;

I wasn’t just her advocate, when she began
to find her own strength;

I was all these things she needed me to be
because I am her mother.

Perhaps we should put it in the poetry forum too but I know more of you will see it here. To Magdalen, I'm humbled and grateful for your words. I would never be so arrogant as to think I can improve upon them.

To the rest of my dear AW companions, thank you for your continued support and patience with me over the last three years as I've grown so much and am honoured by our association.

Magdalen
09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Aw, shucks, Cass. I just took what you wrote and threw in some line breaks and a couple of adjectives. I still say: this is your poem.

You see, I didn't just bring her home. I wasn't just her warden, I was her doctor and her nurse knowing full well; I had 911 to rely on if she got too ill during her detox. But I wanted to be the one to mop up her puke and give her bed baths when she was too weak to crawl into the bathtub. And in the night, I was the one whose lap she curled up on and begged for me to just let her die. Not a stranger, not a nurse or rehab center attendant. Her mother.

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 07:03 AM
I keep reading it and reading it and I don't think I could have written this better, Magdalen. What a gift you have!

spamwarrior
09-27-2009, 05:01 PM
:Hug2: It's beautiful.

Wayne K
09-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree. I don't know the slightest thing about poetry, but I know something beautiful when I read it.

Maryn
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm with Wayne. I don't know jack about poetry, but I found it moving.

Maryn, agreeing about the caliber of AW folks

robeiae
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
And here I thought Cassi needed help buttoning up...

Very nice poem, though.

Serenity
09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Damn straight, Cassi! This place makes me want to tear my hair out, cry, laugh, write, roll my eyes, cheer, kick something, and then go out and tell the world to come join in here.

Not everyone gets it, but those who do are better off for the effort.

AW (and those in it), to put it simply, rock!

:Guitar:

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
:Hug2: It's beautiful.:Hug2:

I agree. I don't know the slightest thing about poetry, but I know something beautiful when I read it.:Hug2:

I'm with Wayne. I don't know jack about poetry, but I found it moving.

Maryn, agreeing about the caliber of AW folks:Hug2:

And here I thought Cassi needed help buttoning up...

Very nice poem, though.you would. ;) but that's why we love you.

Damn straight, Cassi! This place makes me want to tear my hair out, cry, laugh, write, roll my eyes, cheer, kick something, and then go out and tell the world to come join in here.

Not everyone gets it, but those who do are better off for the effort.

AW (and those in it), to put it simply, rock!

:Guitar::Hug2:

I'm still so amazed today at the ability Magdalen has to put my experience into words.

Ken
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
... some addidional :LilLove: from me, for what it's worth ;-)

Jersey Chick
09-28-2009, 12:24 AM
And more :LilLove:

Cassiopeia
09-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I hope every one visits Tiny's thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156576). She needs a lot of support. What a brave person she is.

I don't want to take away from her need, I'm fine. So let's all go huddle around her and pester her. :)