PDA

View Full Version : Fellow agented authors - agent insecurity?

AngelaA
09-27-2009, 05:27 AM
So, I'm going through a little bit of agent insecurity right now...which is horribly silly, I know, but I can't get my brain to accept that fact so I thought I would see if anyone else felt the same way.

As some of you may know, I recently signed with an agent and am now waiting on edits.

But I can't help feeling a sense of doom hanging over me...like at any moment I'm going to get the email that says...sorry hon, just kidding, your writing sucks and I can't represent you.

Is this my own brand of plain old writer's insecurity (something that I know I will battle for my entire life) or do I have a legitimate insecurity that others feel as well?

Maybe it's due to all of the rejections I accumulated in such a short amount of time (I was querying for a little over a year when I got my agent), I don't know...but it's driving me mad!

Can anyone commiserate here or am I all alone in this?

And I am absolutely not whinning...I am thrilled to have an agent and I know I'm lucky...so I'm not complaining...just worried that I'm going insane!

Darzian
09-27-2009, 06:45 AM
You got an agent who read your manuscript and chose to represent you due to the positive aspects he/she saw in your work. One of those positive aspects is undoubtedly the quality of your writing.

Fear not. The time of evil (aka querying) is past.

If I were in this position, I'd be thrilled. If I weren't thrilled, then I probably never would be. :D

Salis
09-27-2009, 07:10 AM
You got an agent who read your manuscript and chose to represent you due to the positive aspects he/she saw in your work. One of those positive aspects is undoubtedly the quality of your writing.

Fear not. The time of evil (aka querying) is past.

If I were in this position, I'd be thrilled. If I weren't thrilled, then I probably never would be. :D

Well, there is perhaps the gnawing doubt that the agent will not be able to sell your work, will then dump you, and you will have to go through query hell again.

ColoradoGuy
09-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I know how you feel. For some months after I signed with an agent I had a similar nagging feeling. It's the Groucho Marx rule -- being suspicious of any club that would have me as a member. It passes, though.

Zsuzsi
09-27-2009, 07:41 AM
I, too, am working on some edits with my agent and feel exactly like you do. That she'd read my rewrite and change her mind about repping me. I have to keep reminding myself, she made this offer on her own accord, after reading my mss and if she can like it once, she can like it again. My agent did not make me an offer out of pity for me. She felt she could serve me and my project well. It's just that she is so busy, it takes a while to hear back from her, sufficient enough time for insecurities to rear back their ugly head. Don't worry. You are in good company.

Darzian
09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, there is perhaps the gnawing doubt that the agent will not be able to sell your work, will then dump you, and you will have to go through query hell again.

It's certainly a possibility but I don't think it happens very often. At least, that's what I gathered from my research.

Horseshoes
09-27-2009, 08:50 AM
It's signer's remorse, like buyer's remorse for that car or whatever. I had it when I signed with my second, which was a choice among a few offers. Blick.
Same cure as every other writing ill: write more.

AngelaA
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, what a relief...I do have company in my silly little world! It helps to know others are going through the same thing and I do hope it passes because it does wreck the high I know I should be feeling right now!

Momento Mori
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
AngelaA:
But I can't help feeling a sense of doom hanging over me...like at any moment I'm going to get the email that says...sorry hon, just kidding, your writing sucks and I can't represent you.

Been there, done that and got the tee-shirt. :)

I actually got my agent on the strength of the partial and was worried sick when I finally sent my agent the completed manuscript a couple of weeks ago in case they'd think it sucked so much that they had a change of heart. I met my agent last week and so far, they seem happy with what I've done, which is such a relief.

So basically, no - you're not alone. There are a lot of other similarly neurotic people out there and we share your pain!

MM

ChaosTitan
09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
No, you're not alone. :)

TrixieLox
09-28-2009, 12:33 AM
You are sooooooooo not alone! The trauma never ends!

Wordwrestler
09-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Angela, you are SO normal. For further evidence of your normalness, just visit a little thread called "The Next Circle of Hell," where agented authors go to be paranoid in good company.

Wordwrestler
09-28-2009, 04:55 AM

You might be surprised once you find yourself in that position.

Actually, only one stage of the querying is past. It is, of course, wonderful and a great relief no longer to be "slush." But now our agents submit on our behalf, and this process is its own roller-coaster ride--it can be wonderful, yes, but also terrifying.

And the period many authors go through getting a manuscript ready for an agent to sub, while exciting, is no picnic.

It doesn't mean we're hopeless pessimists. We're just trying to find our way in a complex, often perplexing industry, trying to navigate a business relationship with a stranger, trying to learn to entrust our dreams to this person, trying to believe someone we've never met can believe in them the same way we do.

Darzian
09-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Yes, I can imagine that now after reading the thread. Considering that I've never queried before, my mindset was sort of like "Once you get an agent, most of your work is done." I fault myself for that but it's typically so hard to land agents that I slipped into that mindset. After reading the thread, I understand the struggles that come along with an interested agent.
Appreciate the enlightening. :)

Wordwrestler
09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Yes, I can imagine that now after reading the thread. Considering that I've never queried before, my mindset was sort of like "Once you get an agent, most of your work is done." I fault myself for that but it's typically so hard to land agents that I slipped into that mindset. After reading the thread, I understand the struggles that come along with an interested agent.
Appreciate the enlightening. :)

No problem, Darzian. :)

erinbee
09-28-2009, 10:29 PM
So, so normal.

I noticed that after the first selling round, I became way more comfortable with my agent since we were very much on the same side of the good fight. Now that I've sold a book, though I get really nervous about what my agent thinks, I'm WAAAAAY more terrified of annoying my editor/publisher. Seems there's always something to obsess over!

jthome123
09-29-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm always afraid of irritating everybody... Guess it's that neurotic-writer thing...

Pepper
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm always afraid of irritating everybody... Guess it's that neurotic-writer thing...

You irritate me. :crazy:

Kidding KIDDING!

:D

Angela, I'm not in your position ("yet!" she says with optimism), but I have no doubts I will feel a whole barrage of insecurities when the time comes. Heck, I already feel insecure about my writing, so why would that change when I've got a set of professional eyes on it?

Chill. You're normal. ^____^

Phaeal
09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
As far as I'm concerned, t'is an insecurity devoutly to be wished.

Yup, the insecurities are always greener on the other side of the query process.

;)

happywritermom
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Total wreck over here.
Just waiting for that email that says, "Sorry. I've tried every house out there and they all hate it."
My agent is confident though. He uses pregnancy an analogy: You feel like it'll never end, but the reality is that there is an end, and a happy one at that." But that knowledge never helped in pregnancy, especially with the twins, so I'm just trying to immerse myself in other projects.
No. You are definitely not alone!