PDA

View Full Version : The Little Things That Keep You Truckin'

Travis J. Smith
09-27-2009, 12:54 AM
It's been awhile since I've written steadily. Most, if not all, of my writing lately has been comprised of pieces for my Intro. to Fiction course. Lack of time and distractions account for some of that, but my unsurety, for lack of a better (and real) word, of myself and my writing is a partner in crime in all this.

So, today, rather than continuing to sit and keep with the writing that was especially slow-going, I picked up where I'd left off in Stephen King's Rose Madder quite a while back. And King's prose wrenched me right back into the story where I left off. Thoughts of inadequacy in comparison to what I was reading were soon to follow.

And yet, in the face of all this, I found something positive to take away from the experience. All it was was King's choice of simile in one particular instance. Without having read this far, I'd written essentially the same simile and thought very highly of it at the time. It felt validating then, but it felt all the more validating to see a writer of King's stature use essentially the same simile. "Great minds think alike," and all that crap.

Now, if only I can manage to hold onto that and forget all those other, negative thoughts, I should be good. :D

Anyone else have his/her passion to write stoked by something so seemingly minor and inconsequential?

The Lonely One
09-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Seeing a writer you admire make a choice you made on your own is usually a good sign. It's happened to me on occasion but not often. Relish it! Think of it like a lane marker. (stay steady.)

Salis
09-27-2009, 04:11 AM
People getting a kick out of anything I write. That's the most inspiring thing, without a doubt. On the other hand, figuring out if they're being genuine (even complete strangers!) is a whole 'nother endless loop of self doubt. :D

By the way (GOING FOR THE POSITIVE HERE!), if the simile is from something you've read before you wrote it (maybe when you were quite young), there's a mental trick where we come up with "brand new ideas" that are actually obscured memories. The mind mistakes it for something new. Although to be fair, most actual new ideas are just one step removed from this: taking everything you read, and twisting it just enough for it to be your own thing.