Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I just got an email request for a full based on a partial which is obviously very cool. The thing is it's an American publisher. I have to admit to not realising they're based in the States until I was seconds away from submitting. Thinking if anything did come of it, it either wouldn't be for months or it would be a rejection, I sent the sample.

Three days later, I get a request. Could the geographical issue be a problem?

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No. I would say no. Not in today's world.

CONGRATS! and good luck.

Reaction score
Bloody well done you. It's a small world these days. A lot of business is conducted over the intarchoobs. All they need is your bank account number so they can slip you eleventy billion monkeydollars and before you know it, you'll be as rich as Dan Brown!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Bloody well done you. It's a small world these days. A lot of business is conducted over the intarchoobs. All they need is your bank account number so they can slip you eleventy billion monkeydollars and before you know it, you'll be as rich as Dan Brown!

Who? Never heard of him :D

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Although I'm a US citizen, I live in the UK and my publisher is in the US.

Promotion is hard when you don't live in the country in which your book was published, but if it's a good-sized publisher (not a micro-press), that's not a factor that I think should affect your decision. It's more just a factor you have to live with and work around. If it's a micro-press, then the logistics might be a huge problem; but I'm personally not a fan of micro-presses and don't think they're most writers' best options.

I still have my US bank accounts, so getting paid isn't an issue for me, but any decent-sized publisher will be able to sort that out with you.

If you have any specific questions on this, feel free to ask.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
You might need a US taxpayer number, or else you'll be taxed from your royalties a significant amount. Just one thing to think about.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Ok I'm with a smaller press - but it's not been a problem at all for me. Online promo can be done anytime ( I did a very cool interview with a lady in Cal when the fires were near her door lol)

IIRC most publishers don't have a prblem at all, as almost everything is d/one electronically. Toothpaste for one is in Canada and has a Uk agent ( and Publisher??)
It does mean I get e-mails at weird times but hey, small price to pay, eh

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score

But a better writer. ;)

And well done! I doubt it will cause too much of a problem. Geographical difference must have been done hundreds of times before.

Good luck.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they're a massive publisher, but that doesn't bother me at the moment. I'm just happy to have a request for the first time (on a book I was close to trunking).

Status
Not open for further replies.