National Guard Officers In Active Service?

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

Does anyone know if it is common for US Army National Guard officers with special qualifications to be activated long term in Federal service. For example, I'm always reading about how chronically short the Army always is on translators for such languages as Arabic, Dari, Pashtun, etc. Let's say there was a National Guard officer who, for whatever reason, was proficient in one or more of these languages. Would it be possible for him/her to be nationalized and spend years in active service?

I've heard that this is not uncommon for Reserve officers, but I have no idea what the rules are with the National Guard.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer - within reason, yes, and not only for the officers. Enlisted men are subject to similar requirements.
Once an officer accepts his commission, it is for life, unless he resigns it. Normally, the government will honor the term of the contract (normally eight years), but during the contract, the government has the right to activate the officer as needed.
I have a friend (enlisted Navy petty officer) who is a Navy Seal and a reservist. During the Cold War, he would disappear regularly, only to return months later, maybe with a nice tan, in the middle of winter. He couldn't and wouldn't talk about where he'd been, or even that he'd been activated.

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is a thing called "Stop-Gap". If you have a skill or speciality Uncle needs, you can be activated and then retained until further notice. It's generally used for high need, low quanity MOS's. During our tour in Iraq I and several others had the pleasure of being f'd over because of that.

Whether your a No-Go, Army Retard, or Full Joe, you can be kept in till Uncle decides to unhook your chain. It's a BS move and generally brings about A LOT of resentment and anger when your retained under that clause.

At most, I've seen guys and gals held for 2-3 years and then let go....as of 1993, DFI had upgraded translator/interrogators in arabic languages and scaled back on european/latin american languages. In my unit alone we had 5 arabic speakers, 1 russian, 1 german, 1 spanish, and 1 chinese. The arabic's were given priority.

So, if you had need to, you could justify as an author in writing that your character, or a character, could be retained into service beyond their end of time in service or deployment date. Keeping in mind that as an average soldier, they will be really pissed the f' off because of it.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

Does anyone know if it is common for US Army National Guard officers with special qualifications to be activated long term in Federal service. For example, I'm always reading about how chronically short the Army always is on translators for such languages as Arabic, Dari, Pashtun, etc. Let's say there was a National Guard officer who, for whatever reason, was proficient in one or more of these languages. Would it be possible for him/her to be nationalized and spend years in active service?

I've heard that this is not uncommon for Reserve officers, but I have no idea what the rules are with the National Guard.

Yes.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
All right, so how reasonable is this?

A male character attends Valley Forge Military Academy in the 1980s. He does his junior (high school level; VFMA's a junior college as well) year as a House of Representatives Page in Washington, DC and follows that with a year as an exchange student in Israel. I know that's catching a lot of breaks; he has connections.

In '87, at age 18, he joins the PA National Guard and is assigned to the 111th Infantry in the Philidelphia area, while attending college. In '89, he's commissioned under the Early Commisioning program as an Intelligence officer, still in the Guard. His choice of the Guard is philosophical. He's not a believer in the excessive power of the modern federal gov't and, while he wishes to serve in uniform, prefers his primary allegance to be to his state.

Since childhood, he's been fascinated with the Indian Northwest Frontier, particularly of the 19th century (big Flashman fan, among others ;-) ) and as he also has an interest in languages, he was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to learn some of the languages of the region (Urrdu, Pashtun, Dari). Once commissioned, he expresses a desire to serve overseas and is assigned as a translator in support of the the US component of Operation Salam in Pakistan which is, among other things, providing demining training to the Afghans.

Any obvious flaws?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Not speaking to your specific scenario, but I can tell you there are "Active Guardsmen" and "Active Reservists".

They're full-time Guard or Reservists who still belong to their parent unit (G/R) but are "opconned" (Operationally Controlled) to an active duty unit because of a specialty they have (many Army journalism slots are filled with active reservists - when I came in in the 80s, you couldn't be "Regular Army" and do those jobs).

Usually, active reserve/guard is a privileged position. Not many active slots for officers outside of the ones who get commissioned in the regular army.

(This is based on a friend's experience who was active reserve enlisted in the mid to late 90s.)

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Usually, active reserve/guard is a privileged position. Not many active slots for officers outside of the ones who get commissioned in the regular army.
That's why I figured the (then) exotic language proficiency would be an "in".

Another question: How does it work when a unit in one state's NG is a component of one in another state's? In my research, I've seen this happens a lot, with some units (like the 300th MI Brigade, which I was researching for later in this character's career) having subordanite units in multiple states all over the place?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Not quite sure, (I was RA). Might want to check with the local recruiting station. They could probably hook you up with the right web sites or material to answer your questions. They're used to dealing with authors.