An agent has contacted me about my novel. Good news and bad news.

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Writers! Hope you're all well.

I have just joined this forum, after receiving an agent's letter yesterday, because I would love to hear a few people's thoughts on my predicament.

Briefly: after three years of sitting at my keyboard and battling with my procrastination habit, I finished the final draft of a novel just after Easter. I sent a synopsis, and the first three chapters, to a London-based agent, and about six weeks later received a standard not-what-we're-looking-for-at-the-moment response.

Their loss, I thought, and sent a covering letter and synopsis to another agent. About two weeks later the agent, or one of their whipping boys, called me, inviting me to send the entire manuscript, which I did.

Now. This is where it gets interesting.

Yesterday morning I received a letter from the agent, returning my manuscript, with a letter, hand-written, saying they like my idea, my story and my style of writing! But, and I knew there was going to be one, they said my novel was too short (it is about 54,000 words). Furthermore, if my novel is extended (the agent has written 65,000 to 100,000 words in brackets), then they would be happy for me to resubmit my manuscript for them to look at it again. No firm offer to represent me, just that they would 'look at it again'.

So, what should I do? Spend a few weeks, or months, rewriting the novel to make it longer (maybe by adding a new sub-plot or something); or submit my manuscript as it currently stands to another agent (or publisher) for their consideration? I am worried that my lengthening my book would weaken it with scenes that don't contribute to the plot; and I am also worried that the relatively short word count is going to put off every agent it gets submitted to.

My novel is satirical black comedy; it probably fits into the genre of contemporary adult fiction. It is also the first novel I have written, so apologies if my amateurishness comes through in this post.

Thanks in advance for any feedback that can be offered.

Dan.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Definately make it longer. The standard for that genre I believe is between 75K - 80K. Others will chime in. I would do the rewrite.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely rewrite and lengthen. If it's shorter than the standard, it's not likely to get anywhere, yet if you lengthen it, even if this agent doesn't pick it up, the next one might.

flyingtart

Warning: may contain humour.
Registered
Reaction score
This is very encouraging, Dan. Agents are busy people and don't waste time giving personalised feedback unless you're very close to getting it right. So kudos to you!

Whether you follow their advice is your call. It's your story and only you can make this decision, but I'd give it serious thought. You already have half a foot in the door and you might end up regretting this opportunity if you let it pass.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
That's a tough call. There are short novels that sell, but 54k is toeing the line of what's short and what's too short. Since none of us have read your book, you have to decide this one for yourself. Can you lengthen the book without hurting it?

Tacking on a subplot just to add 20k words will show if it doesn't mesh well with the rest of the story. An agent will see the seams, and the book will be poorer for it. But if you think you can add quality material that enhances the book, go for it.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
As ChaosTitan said, it's all about being able to add quality material that enhances the book. If you can do this, I think you should. If not, leave well enough alone.

While specific word counts aren't as important to publishers as they used to be, it seems to me that by coming in well below the standard gives you but another hurdle to jump. However, I don't believe that's reason enough to add material. And if you stay at 54K I think you should be prepared to tell agents why you didn't write to 75K-100K.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If it's shorter than the standard, it's not likely to get anywhere, yet if you lengthen it, even if this agent doesn't pick it up, the next one might.

This is an important consideration. It's great that the agent has asked you to revise & resubmit, but it's not a guarantee that you'll be able to get anywhere with that particular agent. So you need to be sure that the changes you're making are improving your novel as a whole and improving your chances with agents in general - not pinning all your hopes on that one person.

It sounds to me like the agent's request is very reasonable, so I'd probably go with that.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Just backing up what the other folks have already said.
54K is damn short for a novel by an unknown author.
Agents are very busy people; they rarely ask for revision and resubmission unless they are seriously interested.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Also, when you start sending queries out again, send to more than one agent at a time.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Agreeing with everyone above.

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my initial post on this thread. As a newbie to this forum, it is very much appreciated that people have taken their time to offer me their wisdom. So thanks.

The first draft of my book contained well over 70,000 words, and I cut a significant proportion of that out when I did my second and third drafts. Most of the 'cuts' were scenes that I felt didn't contribute to the plot, and one or two scenes which dragged, the protagonist just repeating the same interior monologue that he'd had in other scenes.

I am going for the rewrite, and seeing where it ends up. I am adding a new sub-plot and, as suggested by a poster above, weaving it through the existing story. I think I am going to struggle to write up to, say, 100K, but I should be able to get to 70K within a few weeks with a bit of tweaking. I have, of course, got the original 54K version saved as it stands, so if I feel the story falls apart during the rewrite and I can always go back to go.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan.