Confirmed: Obamacare plan would JAIL people who don't buy insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
You can also go to jail for not paying taxes (money also collected to run federally administered programs).

And would is different than could, btw.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
The jail sentence would be for not paying the fine for not buying insurance, not for not buying insurance. Isn't that pretty the standard penalty for not paying a fine?

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
It's on the internet, isn't it? Well, there you are. Stand at the foot of Mt Ararat and wait for the stone tablets.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow, this thread is creating the flurry of panic that I think was expected. Perhaps someone should find another link referring to death panels?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
You can also go to jail for not paying taxes (money also collected to run federally administered programs).

And would is different than could, btw.

The jail sentence would be for not paying the fine for not buying insurance, not for not buying insurance. Isn't that pretty the standard penalty for not paying a fine?

You can NOT go to jail for not paying your taxes. It is against the law (and jailable) to not FILE your taxes, but you cannot be jailed for not paying them.

And no, there is nowhere in America (nor most of the civilized world, Clint) where the "standard penalty" for not paying a fine is jail time.

In 1833 the United States reduced the practice of imprisonment for debts at the federal level. Most states followed suit. It is still possible, however, to be incarcerated for debt, but only in those circumstances in which the court finds that the debtor actually possesses the money or means available to pay the debt, however, in the case of child support, if you are unable to pay the amount set by child support enforcement you will be incarcerated even though you may not have the actual means to pay it through no fault of your own. The constitutions of the U.S. states of Tennessee and Oklahoma forbid civil imprisonment for debts.

Don't be lemmings, nor slaves. Freedom is this: The opportunity to make choices. When those choices have been taken away from you -- you are a slave.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I'd be fine with not requiring people to buy insurance (with or without subsidies) if they promise never, ever to get sick and always to pay all their medical bills. How much you got in your account, Deek? In the past couple of days, for example, I've burned through about $75,000 for a previously healthy kid who was in a car wreck. It will be much, much more than that before we're through. Fact -- no one with those kinds of bills can pay them. So we all do, indirectly. In our current non-system, I'm being taxed to do that. I just want that taxation to be upfront, not hidden.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Interesting predicament, this. To me, it makes the single payer plan that much more attractive.

At one point, there was an escape clause (in the House bill, as I recall) for religious reasons, particularly for the Amish who basically have a fully segregated economy. The criticism of how it was written is that there was no penalty for abusing it.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
You can NOT go to jail for not paying your taxes. It is against the law (and jailable) to not FILE your taxes, but you cannot be jailed for not paying them.

And no, there is nowhere in America (nor most of the civilized world, Clint) where the "standard penalty" for not paying a fine is jail time.

It seems to me that I have heard many times of people being sent to jail for not paying fines.

In any case, I am quite amused at how things that were originally Republican proposals, like mandatory insurance, have suddenly a horrendous threat to freedom now that the Democrats have put in the bill. John McCain had mandatory insurance as part of his plan. The plan Mitt Romney signed in Massachusetts has a mandatory insurance provision. He used his line-item veto power to kill the provision to require employers to provide insurance, but he left mandatory insurance for individuals in the bill.

For all the whining and moaning the Republicans are doing, what Obama has proposed and the Democrats have been working on is very similar to what Romney supported and signed when he was governor of Massachusetts.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to me like that's confirmed at all, Deek.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score

In 1833 the United States reduced the practice of imprisonment for debts at the federal level. Most states followed suit. It is still possible, however, to be incarcerated for debt, but only in those circumstances in which the court finds that the debtor actually possesses the money or means available to pay the debt, however, in the case of child support, if you are unable to pay the amount set by child support enforcement you will be incarcerated even though you may not have the actual means to pay it through no fault of your own. The constitutions of the U.S. states of Tennessee and Oklahoma forbid civil imprisonment for debts.

Don't be lemmings, nor slaves. Freedom is this: The opportunity to make choices. When those choices have been taken away from you -- you are a slave.

Not the first time I've heard you offer anti Obama wisdom. I truly truly wonder what world you have lived in for the period 2000 -2008. Have you been living in the same world as everyone else?
Forgerraboutitt.
The EVil One has been banished. Let him rest.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why they're coming up with all this insane sounding BS. It's almost like they want people to argue over nothing and have it fail from the outset, because none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

Look at any industrialized nation's healthcare besides the USA.

Copy.

End of story. Not hard.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Ideally, you would do that. The problem is that we are so heavily invested in the current system, which basically ties health insurance to employment, that it is a complicated and difficult entwinement to separate, despite its ridiculously unjust structure and cost. And there are interests being enriched by this system are very powerful.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Somehow, this thread is creating the flurry of panic that I think was expected. Perhaps someone should find another link referring to death panels?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2009930043_propublicaflu23.html
With scant public input, state and federal officials are pushing ahead with plans that -- during a severe flu outbreak -- would deny use of scarce ventilators by some patients to assure they would be available for patients judged to benefit the most from them.

The plans have been drawn up to give doctors specific guidelines for extreme circumstances, and they include procedures under which patients who weren't improving would be removed from life support with or without permission of their families.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's on the internet, isn't it? Well, there you are. Stand at the foot of Mt Ararat and wait for the stone tablets.

Behold! I have been given these 15 whoops...crunch...These 10 commandments!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The plans have been drawn up to give doctors specific guidelines for extreme circumstances, and they include procedures under which patients who weren't improving would be removed from life support with or without permission of their families.
This is a medical ethics question -- sort of like triage.

You have a teenager who will die without a ventilator, but recover fully with one.

You have a person on a ventilator who is going to die no matter what.

There's only one ventilator. What does the doctor choose to do? Should there be guidelines?

But I did hear that Obama himself would be personally making that decision in all such cases.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'd be fine with not requiring people to buy insurance (with or without subsidies) if they promise never, ever to get sick and always to pay all their medical bills. How much you got in your account, Deek? In the past couple of days, for example, I've burned through about $75,000 for a previously healthy kid who was in a car wreck. It will be much, much more than that before we're through. Fact -- no one with those kinds of bills can pay them. So we all do, indirectly. In our current non-system, I'm being taxed to do that. I just want that taxation to be upfront, not hidden.

My account's bone dry too, CG. But I've got health insurance. My company provides it for me.

I picked a job that offered said benefits.

The way it's always been. The way it should always be.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Not the first time I've heard you offer anti Obama wisdom. I truly truly wonder what world you have lived in for the period 2000 -2008. Have you been living in the same world as everyone else?
Forgerraboutitt.
The EVil One has been banished. Let him rest.

I've lived in America, Realityville. I'm very sorry that I can't believe in, or live within the walls of Obama's Pollyannaland. It's not in my nature.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score

There you have it folks. Mandatory health insurance == slavery. Thanks for clearing that up.

Out of curiosity, how is it that mandatory auto insurance isn't also slavery? The cases seem pretty similar to me.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
My account's bone dry too, CG. But I've got health insurance. My company provides it for me.

I picked a job that offered said benefits.

The way it's always been. The way it should always be.
And if you had been foolish enough to choose a company that went bankrupt ten years after you joined up, i assume you'd be fine with that too.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The plans are designed to go into effect if the U.S. were struck by a severe flu pandemic comparable to the 1918 outbreak that killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide. State and federal health officials have concluded that such a pandemic would sicken far more people needing ventilators than could be treated by the available supplies.

Many of the draft guidelines, including those drawn up by the Veterans Health Administration, are based in part on a draft plan New York officials posted on a state web site two years ago and subsequently published in an academic journal. The New York protocol, which is still being finalized, also calls for hospitals to withhold ventilators from patients with serious chronic conditions such as kidney failure, cancers that have spread and have a poor prognosis, or "severe, irreversible neurological" conditions that are likely to be deadly.
Hmmm, from the article, I don't see what's wrong with this kind of planning in the event of a catastrophic medical disaster.

I also don't see what this has to do with proposed health care plans.

This kind of selective snippeting, by both sides, only serves to diminish, and tarnish, each sides arguments. And sow suspicion and distrust.

Also, please not these plans are based on plans drawn up TWO YEARS AGO, during another administration. It basically reflects hard choices forced upon a government and the medical field in a time of grave danger.

These attempts to twist and distort things really is at the heart of the acrimony over this issue, I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.