Resubmitting a query after rewrite?

mgkatz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I started sending out queries approximately 3 months ago for my completed manuscript. Within that time I've had a request for 2 partials, have had several (more) writers critique the piece, and have opted to do a complete rewrite of the first chapter. The plot and everything else remains the same, I just wanted to add a bit more intrigue and action - and tighten up the plot.

I have a query out with an agency, along with the first chapter (per their submission guidelines). Said agent responded with an email saying that she received it, and will review it and respond.

There has been no response, so I can only thing that she has not yet read it. Obviously I'd much rather she read the new version of the first chapter, but what do I do now? Do I email her and ask if I can send the new version? Do I just do it anyway? Do I wait for a response and then ask if I can resubmit? Or am I just plain screwed and chalk it up to being an idiot and not having edited this in the first place??!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You wait and see if she requests additional pages. If yes, you can mention the changes (though if she liked it well enough to request more, you might not want to change ch.1). If she doesn't want more, then you move on.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously I'd much rather she read the new version of the first chapter, but what do I do now? Do I email her and ask if I can send the new version? Do I just do it anyway? Do I wait for a response and then ask if I can resubmit? Or am I just plain screwed and chalk it up to being an idiot and not having edited this in the first place??!

The last one, I'm afraid. This is a bad situation. You can email the agent with the revised first chapter, but she may be annoyed and reject you. Then again, if the original first chapter sucks, she'll reject you anyway. Up to you.

mgkatz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I figured, but thought I should ask.

Danthia

Send the new one to any new requests, but don't contact the agents already reading it. It looks unprofessional, because you shouldn't be querying unless the novel was done and polished. (though we all find ourselves doing it at some point -grin-) . If they request fulls, you can mention you made a few changes to the opening, or just send the latest version of the book and they'll see it as it is.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Danthia hit everything on the nose.

At some point, requested or not, most of us revise some of what we initially send to agents or editors. Unfortunately, the spoken rule is that the writer's initial submission will be as polished and final as s/he can make it. To admit otherwise before the agent makes a decision isn't considered "cricket".