The Adoption Process

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I searched the threads and found nothing that works for my situation, so I've got some questions.

The scenario is this - A man and woman divorce. They decided they each get custody of one daughter (a set of twins), and agreed to not tell the children what happened and just move on with their lives. The father's daughter, once she gets into high school, hunts down her biological mother b/c her father let it slip one night when he'd had a bit too much to drink. She finds her mother and cultivates a relationship with her, but she doesn't know about her twin and visa versa.

Now the girls are 32. The one who knows nothing gets pregnant, doesn't want it, and decides to give it up for adoption. The mother, knowing both daughters and knowing that the other one cannot have a child, wants to somehow make sure that her daughter gives the child to her other daughter.

Of course are a bunch of secrets and lies and good stuff going on (and other key players) but my question is this - is it possible to sort of arrange an adoption? And what is, generally, the adoption process? I've done some research online and sent away for pamplets, but I was wondering if anyone here has been through this process.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
That would fall under the private adoption category, and would be dependent on a number of factors. Adoption requirements vary state by state. Check out this link to see if it helps.

JrFFKacy

Rookie Firefighter
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like an intriguing story. If you don't mind a religious website, try looking up Focus on the Family. There should be article/links there.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
That would fall under the private adoption category, and would be dependent on a number of factors. Adoption requirements vary state by state. Check out this link to see if it helps.
In a private adoption, the parties may draft any arrangement they wish. In a regular adoption, the birthmother may get to choose from a file of potential parents, but really has no say in where the baby is placed.

In the scenario described in the OP, the mother of the twins would have to be a deceitful manipulative conniving woman in order to ensure that her pregnant daughter places the baby with the adoptive parent of the mother's choosing. This of course could raise issues of personal reproductive freedom of choice in regards to the pregnant twin's being tricked into placing her baby with a specific individual who she hasn't chosen, met, or vetted in any way.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My brother adopted his older daughter at birth in a private adoption. She approached a lawyer that the family knew while she was pregnant. They brought the baby home from the hospital. If there is a 3rd party -- a lawyer that knows the full story and that the pregnant twin trusts it might be easier. Feel free to PM with additional questions. Though I don't know all the details of the case, I'll help if I can.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you! This helped a lot! I'm going to hopefully get in some researching tonight, and I'll let you know if I have any further questions that maybe you can help answer. :)

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am also writng a script based on adoption . I want to know what is the procedure that American parents have to take an Indian Child? Any info or suggestions are heartily welcome.
padma

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
I am also writng a script based on adoption . I want to know what is the procedure that American parents have to take an Indian Child? Any info or suggestions are heartily welcome.
padma
It looks like there is a lot of information online when you google "international adoptions."

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am a member of adoption forum ,but there I got Adoption from Korea , China . I am pushing my luck and looking from some personal experience from India .
padma

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe India is a popular country for American adoptions, which probably says they're not easy to work out. There has to be an organization in India that handles international adoption and can answer at least some basic questions for you.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Just type "adopting from India", "seeking to adopt", or "adoption information" into google, you will get thousands of hits, choose any agency, Holt International, American Adoptions, Adoption.com etc. There is tons of information out there, this isn't a mysterious process. Read the website, request information, go to a seminar. There is no obligation.