PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for types of injuries after a girl gets beat up

Danalynn
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm in the heart of the climax in my second YA novel, "Big Mouth Blues", and I need ideas for what kind of injuries a 14 yr. old girl can get that would keep her in the hospital for a week or so.

To set the stage: Kacey's alcoholic father attacks her in a drunken rage. He's going to beat the crap out of her and be strangling her when her boyfriend shows up and fights him off. Then the cops show up and arrest him for attempted murder. (There is a long history of verbal and physical abuse at the hand of her father, which has all culminated in this one final showdown.) This showdown takes place in the evening in a community park, by the way. They are the only ones at the park at the time, too.

So does anyone have any ideas of what kind of injuries she could sustain from getting beaten up by her father, and how would she get them? I only want enough injuries that it'll land her in the hospital for a week, more or less.

This is YA, so I'm not thinking anything too gory or horific. I'm thinking more like a concussion, black eye, things broken (an arm and/or a couple of ribs?). I can pretty much figure out how she'd get a concussion or a broken arm (but am totally open for suggestions on those if you have ideas), but what would Dad have to do to her in order for a couple of ribs to be broken? And would those types of injuries be enough to keep her in the hospital for a week or so? Or would Kacey have to get hurt worse than that to be hospitalized for that long?

ANY ideas, suggestions, advice, input would be very greatly appreciated!

:D

Rarri
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Poor Kacey :(

Hmn, broken legs are usually a good way to guarantee a long hospital stay; broken arms and ribs don't usually need such a long stay. A fractured skull would be another injury; not too gory, but serious enough. Broken ribs can happen for many reasons, an adult punching a 14 year old could easily be enough force.

jeseymour
09-25-2009, 05:22 PM
It's hard to get to stay in the hospital that long nowadays, but I can offer a suggestion from when I got hurt in 1987. Break some ribs. Break lots of ribs. Collapse a lung. Maybe her father stomps on her chest, or repeatedly kicks her.

I got stepped on by a horse. He flipped over a jump and I ended up under his feet. He stepped on my chest. I was wearing a safety vest, but it still broke 6 ribs in 9 places or something like that. I was in Dartmouth Hitchcock for 9 days, I think, 7 of them in intensive care. Didn't nick the liver, fortunately. Just the punctured lung required two units of blood. Had the whole out of body near death experience in the emergency room, even though I never lost consciousness.

I'm thinking that if you want her to stay in the hospital that long you're either going to have to do some serious head trauma or break those ribs, collapse a lung, maybe even nick the liver. You want serious blood loss, puncture the liver. I guess it depends how far she is from a hospital, how long it will take the ambulance to get there. You don't want her to die before reaching the hospital, right? I was a good forty-five minutes from Dartmouth, the EMTs actually gave me a choice of going to a closer, smaller hospital, but I knew where I needed to be.

Those kinds of injuries are also going to have long-term effects. Broken ribs are the gift that keeps on giving. ;)

RJK
09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Ruptured spleen could could kill her without immediate surgery. Surgery would keep her in hospital for several days, perhaps broken ribs and arm prevents her from caring for herself, so she stays longer.

dirtsider
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
A broken bone that breaks skin and requires surgery might do the trick.

waylander
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Just the concussion could do it if she doesn't come round quickly and they think there might be a bleed in the brain

Danalynn
09-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the ideas so far! Please keep them coming.

Got the concussion figured out now....

ETA: Got the broken arm figured out now, too.... :)

Thank you again for the input. This helps a lot.

RJK
09-26-2009, 10:15 PM
A man who outweighs his daughter by 100 pounds, can pack a punch hard enough to give her a severe concussion.

Linda Adams
09-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Broken jaw and a concussion.

This happened in junior high school. One of the girls apparently showed interest in another girl's boyfriend. So one day the second girl sees the first girl on the stairs and pow! Punches her in the jaw, knocks her downstairs. Broken jaw and a concussion. The girl who did the punching was taken away in handcuffs, and the other girl was out for about a month (though that was quite some time ago, and the medical technology has changed).