Gas Ovens

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Since we got a gas oven my cakes have not been the same. Even biscuits don't seem to rise as well. Even at lower temperatures, things want to brown too fast on the bottom and come out white on top. We've lowered the temperature and the cooking times, but this only seems to help a bit. I'm almost quit baking cakes. Any suggestions?

Deleted member 42

Call your gas company and ask them to check the oven's thermostat. I've never known them to charge for that; sounds like yours might be off.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
And once you're certain the thermostat is OK, allow the oven to continue heating for an additional 10 minutes after it signals that the baking temperature has been reached. That allows the temperature of the walls and top to equalize.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
A 15 dollar thermostat can save you a lot. Any time you get a new oven, you should test it. I moved into an apartment, it was our first as a married couple. I decided to bake biscuits and a cake to surprise my new husband (we'd been married about 2 whole days) and they came out black in under 5 minutes. The cake was still liquid with a black burnt skin on top. I was really frustrated, I was a good cook. Had it tested and the oven was 275 degrees off. The landlord refused to recalibrate it or replace it, so I was stuck without an oven that entire time. The bastard.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I keep a pizza stone in the oven all the time. on the bottom shelf, and I use the upper shelf for baking.

I read somewhere that it helps to keep the temperature more even, by absorbing and releasing the heat, as needed. I haven't tested it scientifically, but it seems to help.

JD