Status
Not open for further replies.

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Does anyone have any sound advice on how to best market an ebook?

My novel DEMON HUNTER is due out tomorrow via Aspen Mountain Press who publishes ebooks and I wanted to hit the ground running with some good promotion.

Any tips?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My 2c

Website to point people at the point of sale,
blog to point to the website and the point of sale,
contests, signature link, guest blogging, chats, comments and general fun and games to point people to your blog.

:)

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I'm planning to do with my marketing campaign is a contest where people create fan art and upload it to their Facebook / DeviantArt / Myspace/ wherever sites then send me a link to it. Their fan art must include a link to the site where people can purchase my book.

The top 10 entries get prizes, but not like "a free copy of my book" but something they might actually want, like a Nintendo Wii or some videogames. Course, my book is aimed at that demographic so those kind of prizes would be meaningful to them. Your prizes must be meaningful to your demographic.

Depending on where you advertise the contest, you could get hundreds to thousands of dollars worth of marketing exposure from all the art that gets uploaded at the cost of whatever your prizes cost to buy and ship to the winners.

You can also get all your friends to blog and twitter about your book.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That's an interesting idea but I would avoid characterising it as fan art. Some readers don't wanted to be labelled by the author as their "fans".

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Get some review bloggers to take a look at it also. Good luck!

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Those are some good ideas...thank you!

I've been trying to rack my brain for a good contest idea, jfreedan let me know how that worked out!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I had bookmarks made up and hand them out to everyone- it has my website url on it which links them to where you can buy the book. I went to local bookstores and libraries with them, they were very acccomadating and let me put them on the front desk- the bookstore said they would put one inside every book they sell-
I also had a contest on my website and I did give away a free copy of my book-
I had an excellent response, I only asked for them to leave a comment in my comment section, and I would randomly pick the winner- I also built up hype for weeks before the actual release in forums such as this (always with my link in my signiture), On facebook and twitter- now I realize its a fine line between markting and being obnoxious and I am trying to walk it carefully.
I also have my link in my e-mail siggy, had buisness cards made up and hand them out to everyone as well. If they don't know about you they can't buy your book.
My publisher has helped by sending my book out for reviews to about 20 review sites.
I called local papers to ask if they might be intersted in doing a story on a local person who has their first book published.

Right now my book is number 8 on my publishers best sellers list after 2 weeks of sales- small fish small pound I know, but I'll take it!

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Join EPIC! Electronic Publishing Internet Connection. The cost is very low - I think $30.00 a year? They have TONS of info there including ideas for marketing, and a lot of review sites to send your book to. It's a great community.

Carlene

Mind Echoes - coming in January from Whiskey Creek Press.
Finder! - coming in January from Wild Child Publishing
An Extra Pair of Eyes - coming in January from Write Words Inc.

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
I've been involved in the author promotion thing for a few years now with my publisher. Here are my suggestions - some of which seem to be already checked off by I'll list them anyways:

1. Author's website with your own domain name.
2. MySpace and Facebook pages.
3. Targeted reader forums where you are an active participant.
4. Get on a panel at local conventions if applicable - or at least rent a table.
5. Participate in literary chats - the "meet the author" sort. Your publisher may hold these or be a guest on other boards.
6. When you advert, use your book cover and its blurbs. Toss in an excerpt so folks can see you are the real deal and not some wannabe. Don't tell them you have a book out -show them.

Book marks and other items are best used with #4. I rarely bother with contests because I feel that most folks heading to my website looking for a freebee won't be bothered to purchase - especially if they lose.

I tossed some stuff up on my MySpace blog about how to market yourself in MySpace - it applies across the board with any social site. Mostly common sense stuff.

Promo is a daily job for me. I make the rounds to each forum. Just keep in mind that writer forums are not the place for promos in most cases - you want readers.

All my opinion of course, and your mileage may vary.

Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.