How does this name for a setting sound to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgunn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.valgunn.com
Okay, I am (re)writing a series of novels that are Arabian Nights style fantasy. I think I've decided on a name for the world/setting.

Mir'aj (sounds like mirage)

Now, in Islam the word miraj is the second part of a journey taken by the Prophet Muhammad and his ascent into Paradise.

My books, rooted in Arabic tradition, however do not take place on Earth and the people of this world are not Islamic (though many similar traditions and terms).

Most readers will think of an exotic desert setting (which is what I want). At the same time I do not it to be offensive to Muslims. I do not believe this to be the case, but I am running it by as many people as possible for feedback.

So I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I like the name Miraj

not a big fan of the apostrophe. I mean, I don't hate it, but it is sort of a 'speed bump' to me since in English we really only use apostrophes as contractions or possessives so my first instinct was to try to figure out what the contraction was...

I think Miraj is fine.

Mel...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the execution. Check out this really good article: http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10087 I think it will give you some good stuff to ponder. :)

Re: the word itself, it might put me under the impression that the world isn't real within the universe of your book. Like, your character might step away from it and it would disappear. If that's what you are going for that could work, of course.

vgunn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.valgunn.com
The use of apostophies to make fantasy words seem more exotic is way overdone.

I understand where you are coming from, gratuitous apostrophes in James Clemens Banned and Banished. In this case the ' is one of the few words that this occurs, just happens to be the title. Certainly I could throw it out, however this word IMO does look better with the apostrophe in there. Thanks for the feedback.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of the apostrophe thing either, but I agree, the word looks better with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.