Venezuelan minister accuses Family Guy of being used by the US gov. to promote drugs

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Read here all about it...

Can you spell out hypocrisy?. Seriously, though, this is just being said on the eve of the law approval making legal that cable networks can be controlled by the government during the cadenas since they consider they are shown on Venezuelan soil, show TV shows shot in Venezuela or have Venezuelan employees, hence the Venezuelan laws apply to them even if they don't broadcast on air, if you don't like what you watch on TV, just change the channel... that's part of the base of free speech.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I love that he would comment on a scene in Family Guy. The truth of things - well past hypocrisy - and he's publicly discussing Family Guy! That is so many kinds of awesome.

I'm totally stealing it for my WIP. Thank you!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I love that he would comment on a scene in Family Guy. The truth of things - well past hypocrisy - and he's publicly discussing Family Guy! That is so many kinds of awesome.

I'm totally stealing it for my WIP. Thank you!

Oh? Now I am awfully curious! How are you going to use it?

ETA: Thread-Hijacking record?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Sorry. My WIP is satire and has folks from so many different political cultures that I throw in crazy things like this, fictionalized. That's all :D

I do find it incredible. But in a system like theirs, politicians get to say what they want, really. Do we have any Venezuelans here? I'd love to hear their thoughts!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
"coughs, coughs" Venezuelan born and raised here.

My opinion? Another example of how they loose our time and effort instead of doing real things, I mean, this is the minister of internal affairs and he's talking about cartoons? What the hell? Doesn't he has anything better to do? The president has a weekly TV show that lasts over 5 hours, doesn't he has anything better to do? Stop counting angels dancing over pins or looking through pictures crying in the name of God, the fatherland and El Comandante that that is "Racism/Sexism/Antipatriotism/etc." and take charge of the country to do something different. Right now there's a problem in my region because the local newspaper showed a note about the high rate of crime with a picture of a 9 years old kid with a gun in his hand, what did the people from the National Assambly said? "The newspaper is racist, they are a showing a black kid weilding a gun in the newspaper!" I just facepalmed.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
facepalm at myself! Sorry for being so dense!

I didn't realize Venezuelans had that race thing playing out that way in the media. So interesting. The politicians carping about ridiculous things is an old, old story. The cartoon part is truly laughable! Mucho suerte! It's a crazy world.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
So let me get this straight,

A cartoon that pokes fun at drug use is representative of the entire US government promoting drug use???

Ummm... do they know that in America, freedom of speech means that people can express ANY view and that the US government is fairly limited in what it can do about it?

That is, the views expressed in American cartoons ARE NOT the views of the US government.

Sounds wierd having to say that outloud.

Talk about building a mountain out of a mole hill. Hell, this is like building a planet out of a mole hill.

Wonder how long he had to whip himself into an anti-America frenzy to come up with this stretch of logic.

Mel...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
So let me get this straight,

A cartoon that pokes fun at drug use is representative of the entire US government promoting drug use???

Ummm... do they know that in America, freedom of speech means that people can express ANY view and that the US government is fairly limited in what it can do about it?

That is, the views expressed in American cartoons ARE NOT the views of the US government.

Sounds wierd having to say that outloud.

Talk about building a mountain out of a mole hill. Hell, this is like building a planet out of a mole hill.

Wonder how long he had to whip himself into an anti-America frenzy to come up with this stretch of logic.

Mel...

Sorta. Apparently they think if a US cartoon promotes drug use, then the US government (for allowing such thing to be shown) promotes drug use. That is why is illegal to mock any Venezuelan politicians on Venezuelan television nowadays. See, their logic is that since a network is owned by a big capitalistic company and the US government is capitalist, then by association the media is saying things the US government wants to say but can't for being otherwise illegal, the idea of the world having more than two ways (right or wrong) would cause them a Rorschach-style breakdown.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Sorta. Apparently they think if a US cartoon promotes drug use, then the US government (for allowing such thing to be shown) promotes drug use. That is why is illegal to mock any Venezuelan politicians on Venezuelan television nowadays. See, their logic is that since a network is owned by a big capitalistic company and the US government is capitalist, then by association the media is saying things the US government wants to say but can't for being otherwise illegal, the idea of the world having more than two ways (right or wrong) would cause them a Rorschach-style breakdown.

Do they have any concept of how many Cartoons and TV shows there are in America? In fact, there are so many that it would be beyond the governments ability to sock puppet them all even if they tried. Plus, have they noticed that half of the cartoons have a F**k the government mentality and make FUN of the government?

And if Family Guy is causing all these problems, then South Park would make them lose their freaking minds.

Plus, I'm sure we have cartoons that promote the hell out of drug use. I'm not a huge cartoon watcher but I'm sure i've seen a few chronically stoned characters on Adult Swim.

Mel...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but Family Guy has the ultimate defense.

Its just like this one time where I was having dinner with Gary Coleman and zombie Ricardo Montalban and then the waiter turned out to be an ex-girlfriend. Wow did she have issues!

And hey, do you guys all remember that time where Mel and I were lost in the forest, and I was like, "Wow Mel, we're sure in trouble." Then he hit me in my knee and I did that annoying "hisss aaah!" thing for about fifteen fucking hours, because we needed to make sure our rock stupid target demographic got a joke so goddamn simple it could fit on a FUCKING CONDOM WRAPPER GOD I HATE FAMILY GUY SO FUCKING MUCH ARGHGGH!

Oh right, see, any time anyone attacks Family Guy, it just flashes back to unrelated things till everyone forgets what they were talking about.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hate it too. So much.

I was horrified to see all our shows on in Europe. It is strange thinking about people thinking we all love them and that they characterize us so much. Much less that they tell government desires!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I hate it too. So much.

I was horrified to see all our shows on in Europe. It is strange thinking about people thinking we all love them and that they characterize us so much. Much less that they tell government desires!

So you people are not like According to Jim nor The New Adventures of the Old Christine? My head a splode!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
So you people are not like According to Jim nor The New Adventures of the Old Christine? My head a splode!

:D And especially not like The OC!! Except for many folks from OC, actually ;) But they seriously need their own country, I think.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Do they have any concept of how many Cartoons and TV shows there are in America? In fact, there are so many that it would be beyond the governments ability to sock puppet them all even if they tried. Plus, have they noticed that half of the cartoons have a F**k the government mentality and make FUN of the government?

And if Family Guy is causing all these problems, then South Park would make them lose their freaking minds.

Plus, I'm sure we have cartoons that promote the hell out of drug use. I'm not a huge cartoon watcher but I'm sure i've seen a few chronically stoned characters on Adult Swim.

Mel...

I doubt they have that concept at all, I finallly managed to watch the interview of the minister and I can assure you that either he has no concept at all of adult-oriented animation or plurality of ideas, thinking that EVERYONE in USA has two opinions: follows the Republican party and has two dozens of guns and tortures Mexican day laborers for fun or is a hardcore Michael Moore-watching Noam Chomsky-reading Che Guevara-admirer freedom fighter, whatever doesn't come in those two stereotypes makes the Chavistas groan, since even when they pretend to fight against racism and inequality, they only see stereotypes when they see Americans most of the time.

What was the point of showing the cartoon? The old extremist leftist idea that the US has an imperialistic, decadent culture that allows people freely advocating drug consume will sooner or later fall over its crumbling base(obviously, without any mention at all of the URSS)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Family Guy was a hard-hitting documentary exploring the seedy underbelly of American working-class culture. It's really just a cartoon?! How about that?

Next someone'll tell me The Simpsons isn't real.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Actually, we're all very much like Seinfeld. And The Jeff Foxworthy Show.

We're either about nothing, or we're about something that no one finds interesting.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I doubt they have that concept at all, I finallly managed to watch the interview of the minister and I can assure you that either he has no concept at all of adult-oriented animation or plurality of ideas, thinking that EVERYONE in USA has two opinions: follows the Republican party and has two dozens of guns and tortures Mexican day laborers for fun or is a hardcore Michael Moore-watching Noam Chomsky-reading Che Guevara-admirer freedom fighter. . .
So he's a lurker on the AW board?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Family Guy was a hard-hitting documentary exploring the seedy underbelly of American working-class culture. It's really just a cartoon?! How about that?

Next someone'll tell me The Simpsons isn't real.
Wait. Those aren't magical elves that live in my TV set?

LALALALALALALALALAICAN'THEARYOU!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Er,Yeah,
Ahem. Family Guy is one of America's saving graces folks. As is American Dad. As is South Park. Without them European opinion of America would be even more negative than is is (or was up til recently)... Guess why it's changed...

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
About time someone took a stand against Family Guy.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Er,Yeah,
Ahem. Family Guy is one of America's saving graces folks. As is American Dad. As is South Park. Without them European opinion of America would be even more negative than is is (or was up til recently)... Guess why it's changed...

I'm sure you're right. It makes my head explode, but tis true, yes.

Because projectile vomit jokes should bring cultures together ;) Isn't that the thought behind them :D?