PDA

View Full Version : What's your pet name?

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Mine is Dunny (like "sunny"), from Dan (like "fun", b/c of the way "a" is pronounced in Hebrew, like "ah"), my given name.

In Hebrew many pet names are w this "i" at the end of the given name.

I have other pet names derived from Dan, but this is the most used by all who know me.

Dunny :) he-he-he...

BradyH1861
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I call my wife Captain Hot A$$.

What she calls me is neither complimentary nor suitable to be used in the presence of small children.

Brady H.

Fractured_Chaos
07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Sam usually just calls me a "wench" when I frustrate him. Any other time, it's just my regular name :ROFL:

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
No, Brady!! I meant the nickname you're given by family, friends, etc.

Ooooooooh, what a confusion I had caused!! http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif I'm terribly sorry.

But "pet name" is (from a dictionary)

A descriptive name added to or replacing the actual name of a person, place, or thing.
A familiar or shortened form of a proper name.

3. To give a nickname to

Dan

BradyH1861
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks. I caught on after I posted and edited accordingly.

Brady H.

aadams73
07-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Mine is Dunny (like "sunny"), from Dan (like "fun", b/c of the way "a" is pronounced in Hebrew, like "ah"), my given name.

LOL! In Australia "dunny" is slang for toilet.

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 09:59 PM
"wench" like in what sense? In the modern one? He has some nerves, doesn't he, now? He-he-he!!

Dan

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I know, Adams!!! :ROFL:This was one of the first things I was told when arriving here, ha-ha-ha!!

Well, considering names like Dick, or Cock, mine is hardly noticeable, isn't it? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Dan

Fractured_Chaos
07-09-2005, 10:16 PM
"wench" like in what sense? In the modern one? He has some nerves, doesn't he, now? He-he-he!!

Dan

N ah, it's all said in good humour. After all I'm generally teasing him about something.

If he's actually mad at me, he calls me "Lorrie Jeanette!"

Just like my mother did.

And yes, I hide.

Of course, it takes -ALOT- to make him mad.

aadams73
07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I know, Adams!!! :ROFL:This was one of the first things I was told when arriving here, ha-ha-ha!!

Well, considering names like Dick, or Cock, mine is hardly noticeable, isn't it? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Dan

True, be grateful your name isn't Richard Johnson or something oddball like "cockburn"

wardmclark
07-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't know if it's really a pet name, but most of my friends still call me "Animal."

The name dates back to 1985, when I was a young, dumb and very drunk soldier in the Enlisted Men's Club at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. Begin dumb young troopies, we were drinking beers and smashing the cans against our heads.

One of my buddies bet me that I couldn't smash one against the table. Well, never one to turn down a challenge - at least I was then - I put a can on the table, stood up, let out a whoop, and smashed my head down.

I snapped the cheap plywood table neatly in half. The guy sitting across from me jumped up and yelled, "Damn, Clark, you're a motherf***ing animal!"

They called me "Animal" after that, and it kind of stuck. My wife even calls me "Animal" now.

Perks
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
My mother calls me 'Grinch' because when I was a toddler, I escaped my pen on Christmas Eve night, wandered into the living room, ripped off all the pretty paper and smashed a crystal bowl of glass ornaments.

Many years and many miles later I still can't outrun it. She calls me this all the time.

aadams73
07-09-2005, 10:57 PM
My mother has always called me "Suzie Sunshine"--no idea why, my name isn't Suzie or any other derivative of it.

My husband calls me "babydoll", but mostly people call me a shortened version of my first name, which is fine to me because my first name always sounds more grown up than I feel.

robeiae
07-09-2005, 11:02 PM
My father called me "the little sh*t" when I was growing up, but he meant it in the nicest possible way. Now I'm mostly called "daddy."

Rob :)

JoeEkaitis
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Cathy calls me "Dimples" because I'm cursed, er, uh, blessed with those charming li'l smile craters.

I call her "Peachpie" or "Peaches." I just blurted it out one day and it stuck.

rhymegirl
07-09-2005, 11:04 PM
The confusion here is in terminology. A nickname is usually a shortened version of your name. Example: My real name is Kathryne; everybody calls me Kathy.

A "pet" name is usually a special name someone calls you other than your real name. And I think of it particularly as a special name couples give each other. Example: My husband calls me Hunny Bunny.

JennaGlatzer
07-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Anthony calls me Fairy. All. The. Time. I think he's forgotten my real name. He also has no qualms about calling it out when we're separated in a store, for example. This causes strange looks.

My screen name when we first "met" (online) was violetfairy.

BradyH1861
07-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I will never reveal my actual nickname....at least not while the sun is shining.
(note my nickname comes from work, rather than anything the Mrs. calls me. A$$hole is her preferred name for me at the moment)
Brady H.

robeiae
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I will never reveal my actual nickname....at least no while the sun is shining.
(note my nickname comes from work, rather than anything the Mrs. calls me. A$$hole is her preferred name for me at the moment)
Brady H.

Hoser?
Flamer?
Waterboy?
Pissboy?

Am I close?

BradyH1861
07-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Nope....not close at all. :banana:

Paint
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
My pet name is "Torture San" makes ya think donit?

pepperlandgirl
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
My husband calls me "Bad Haley." As in, "What are we having for dinner tonight Bad Haley?" or "Where are you going, Bad Haley?"

I'm not actually bad, so I don't know when or how this got started. He also has the tendency to call me "Haley Ann" but, see, "Ann" isn't my middle name. I don't have a middle name.

rhymegirl
07-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Nope....not close at all. :banana:

Does your nickname have a fire-related term? Fireball or Hot Stuff or uh, let's see Flaming Idiot(something maybe guys would say)?

BradyH1861
07-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Nope....no fire related terms at all. :banana:

Why am I obsessed with the damn banana guy?

Brady H.

rhymegirl
07-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Then it must have a bad word in it that you can't print here.

JennaGlatzer
07-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Brady! You tease!

OK, comes from work, but not fire-related.

Thinkthinkthink...

What embarrassing thing happened to you at work?

Did you...
Wet your pants?
Say something stupid?
Walk around with an unzipped fly?
Faint?
Eat a lot of beans?

Fractured_Chaos
07-10-2005, 03:02 AM
I think bananas have something to do with Brady's nickname at work.

BradyH1861
07-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Did you...
Wet your pants?
Say something stupid?
Walk around with an unzipped fly?
Faint?
Eat a lot of beans?

All the above, babe, all the above.

Okay. I'll tell you what it was and now what it is. When I was a rookie, the guys made fun of me because of my lack of a dating life. Well, that's misleading. The problem was that every date I went on was my last date with that particular girl. I couldn't seem to get past the three date hump. So they called me Red Baron.....because I got shot down.

Fast forward to 2004. I am going to try to tell this without being too graphic. There was a dead body and I slipped and landed in a pile of feces. So I was promptly nicknamed.......

Poo!

(though some call me Winnie....get it?)

JennaGlatzer
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
Oh, you poor thing!

BradyH1861
07-10-2005, 03:25 AM
It could have been worse. I could have ended up as "Poo Face".....

Brady H.

robeiae
07-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Fast forward to 2004. I am going to try to tell this without being too graphic. There was a dead body and I slipped and landed in a pile of feces.

Gag!! If it was a male body, it could have been worse, it could have been a pile of...

WriteRead
07-10-2005, 05:25 AM
There's really no confusion here:

"nickname

n. name of affection; shortened name; alias; name invented for oneself and used on IRC (Internet)

v. give a name; give an affectionate name; give a shortened name"

so the two meanings are used at the same time, it's just that pet name, which implies affection more than the nickname per se, is more used. I think.

Dan

WriteRead
07-10-2005, 05:29 AM
You said:

when we first "met" (online)

I TRULY, BUT TRULY don't want to highjack this funny thread, b/c the subject is too luring for such a discussion, but I think we two have something in common, here, you know? If you feel like, PM me re this.

Dan

Lantern Jack
07-11-2005, 11:10 AM
My mother calls me Jabba the Hutt.
The kids at school called me Book.
The kids at college called me Sweaty, Little Jesus.
You may call me...God.

Maryn
07-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Since about 1990 I've been Mim, stolen by the kids from "The Sword in the Stone" (as in Mim, Mim, Marvelous Mim). It certainly made it easier at the playground--anybody sobbing "Mommy!" was looking for someone else. After the first ten years, it crept into my husband's vocabulary, too, sometimes supplanting Little Looper, one of his earlier pet names for me.

Maryn, woman of many identities

TheNightTerror
07-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I used to be called Klutz. In grade 5, I could not for the life of me stay on my feet a month without crashing. The . . . incidents ranged from simply tripping and scraping my knee, to getting my foot caught in the spokes of my bike wheel doing 30 and flying over the handlebars and scraping at least an inch of hard plastic off my helmet as I skidded to a stop. I earned it. :)

Another nickname, back in grade 7, I was constantly being harrassed by the kids in my class, who'd taken to calling me a Jewish German whore. (I'm of German descent, but a Jewish person, or a whore, not so much.) I'd finally caught onto the fact that if you roll with jokes from those immature pricks, they'll stop it, so I recommended they call me Jewmanore for short. Unfortunately, they found it quite amusing and called me that for ages . . .

Another guy in high school called me 'Big Big Bazookas' because, well, apparently he thought my . . . rack was massive, so he was calling me that constantly. Ah well, a mature stunt for a mature stunt, I waltzed by him one day when he called me that and kicked him as hard as I could in the back of the knee, and dropped him. :D

My rack and skin color also earned me the nickname 'The Great White North.' Also still used is 'Third World Country.' Another nickname I earned was either 'Basement Pervert' or 'Basement Wench.'

:D

TemlynWriting
07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
when we first "met" (online)

I TRULY, BUT TRULY don't want to highjack this funny thread, b/c the subject is too luring for such a discussion, but I think we two have something in common, here, you know? If you feel like, PM me re this.

Dan
Perhaps we should start a separate thread on this topic. My husband and I met online, too. :D

Sarita
07-14-2005, 10:38 PM
I've had so many nicknames. These are the ones that wont go away.

Fina: This is the big one. Everyone calls me that. It came from the best man in our wedding. He called me Sarafina (because he said I looked like an angel... awwww). It was shortened to Fina by the husband. And everyone uses it now. Our good friends in Ireland are having a baby in December. They said if it's a girl, they're going to name her Finnaigh (pronounced Fina) after me. This is one nick name that has gotten out of hand!

Mallard: Apparently at some point, my little sister thought it was funny that the bird on some wildlife calendar during October was a Mallard. She insisted that I call her Chickdee (January's bird) and that she get to call me Mallard. That was about 14 years ago. Man did that stick! She still calls me that!

E: Just because. Only one person calls me this, my best friend. He's E, too. We're strange. :)

WriteRead
07-14-2005, 11:00 PM
...and for all who qualify for her suggestion!

It should be great! I approached Jena w the inherent subject, as you can read, but she didn't come back http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Will someone summon her and then we maybe start a good one?

He-he, wait till you hear my story! Hmmm, on 2nd thought prob'ly not diff then that of the others'...

Hey, maybe we all have a party? Wow! I'm already excited by the idea. Now, this could make a good article in some market for women, romance, wedding, dating, you get the idea. I'm not in free-lance, too much work for too little, so I don't care if y'all make good use of it http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Dan

Eveningsdawn
07-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Most common are Talia, or falcon.

Many derivatives of my actual name, including LGL. People who don't even know what it stands for call me that.

Earned the tag 'kitten' in someone's internal reference system recently.

brokenfingers
07-15-2005, 06:37 AM
I've been called a few nicknames in my time but since they were mostly sexual, I'll keep them to myself.

One odd thing though, is that a lot of people seem to like to call me by my last name. It's not a usual one and I've even had girlfriends call me by it sometimes. Many of my friends and coworkers will call me by it, and while you would think addressing a person by their last name would seem a bit formal - when they say it, it's anything but.

However, whenever anybody calls me William - it usually means I'm in deep doo-doo.

robeiae
07-15-2005, 07:05 AM
I've been called a few nicknames in my time but since they were mostly sexual, I'll keep them to myself.
Like your screen name??? Just kidding little man (is that one too?).

Mwwwwahahahahahahahaha!!

SRHowen
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
I had a few as a teen--camp names when I worked at Summer camps. As an adult, none. I'm Shawn, and that's it. I've had a few different Native American names, they change by what happens to you--right now to my cousins I am Walking Fawn. We stopped at this truck stop where they have tame animals to feed. My kids fed these deer and there was a mother and fawn out of the fenced area, the fawn kept following me around. It was wearing a collar and I tied a rope to it to take it back to the other deer so it wouldn't get hit by a car--

Thus, Walking the Fawn (Walking Fawn)

Dawno
07-15-2005, 07:30 AM
*sigh* my 'pet' name is Dawno. Boring, huh? Also met my SO "online" - 14 years ago via the service that Steve Case started before AOL called QLink. I was for Commodore users.

Lucky Penny
07-15-2005, 07:49 AM
My mother always called me kiddo or brat...still calls me kiddo even though I'm 32. My step-dad started calling me 'step-on-child' after I referred to him as my 'step-on-father.' I've been called Bright Eyes in the past, but dh (dear husband) refers to me as Babydoll. If he ever uses my given name know I'm in trouble. lol

mkcbunny
07-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Recently, I was visiting my aunt after a family funeral, and out of the blue, she called me "Twerp." When I was a kid, she always called me that. I tried to ignore it and be cool, thinking she'd stop, but she continued for years. We're only 13 years apart in age, so she was teasing me like a big sister more than an aunt. But it faded away and I forgot all about it for over 20 years. I suppose due to the nostalgia brought on by the circumstances at hand, she just called me that again. Keep in mind that I'm 40 now, and a bit old to be called a twerp. It was so strange hearing it again.

mdmkay
07-15-2005, 10:28 AM
would you believe that I made it through school and college without ever having a nickname???? But you can not believe how tired I got of having people looking down at me after about "killing myself" in some kind of fall or accident and darn near laughing themselves silly when they heard themselves say "Are you okay, Kay?" Geez, my own mom did it while I was hemorrhaging darn near to death. I should have changed my name to Metilda!!!!

aadams73
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Perhaps we should start a separate thread on this topic. My husband and I met online, too. :D

Ditto! Or is that Tritto now?

D.J.
07-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Once upon a time, in college, I was called "Donnas" as was my Roommate. It got to where people would just say, "Hi Donnas" as we walked across campus, etc.
It seems strange but so many times there you could be pretty well acquainted with someone but not know their last name. One time our neighbor answered the phone and the caller asked for Donnas. Our neighbor, asked which one. The guy calling said, "The blonde one." Neighbor asked which one? Caller said, "The tall one." Neighbor asked which one? This line of questioning went on until the neighbor was weak with laughter.
Now days, I'm just the usual sappy stuff a hubby calls his wife. Cute, but sappy - and I like it! Well, my ex-roomie and I still call each other "Donnas" sometimes.

Sarita
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
One odd thing though, is that a lot of people seem to like to call me by my last name. Yeah, I get this, too. A lot of people call me Spock. Their idea of a joke, I suppose.

Oh yeah! In high school, this kid had a crush on me. His nickname was Bob (no idea why) and when everyone found out he had it for me, they started calling him Spob. I saw him 2 years ago and he said that people still call him that. Isn't it weird how nicknames stick? Poor guy.

WriteRead
07-15-2005, 09:38 PM
quarto, man! Follow the arrows! http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Dan

aadams73
07-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Quarto it is then!

mdmkay
07-16-2005, 02:07 AM
I guess with me it makes 5 of us. Who said internet dating never leads anywhere......

WriteRead
07-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Okay! That's it! I'm gonna newthreadit! The online matrimonial instances.

Dan

JennaGlatzer
07-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Oops, sorry I didn't find my way back here before now, Dan. But I did find the other thread right away. :)

P.H.Delarran
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
oh jeez, i just know i'm going to regret this one...

somewhere way back in my long-ago, i was someone's sweet 'lil Pooter Dookie.
ahemmmm......(insert musical notes)..
"Pooter-Dookie, you're the one,
you make lovin'
so much fun.
you get me hard
and then I ..."

oh wait, sorry..this is a G rated thread.

nevermind.

triceretops
08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
When I was little it was Bubby

When I was a biker it was Sugarbear

When I wore a badge and gun, the criminals all knew of those monikers, and I had a hell of a time arresting them.

Tri

Pat~
08-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Early in our marriage, my hubby used to call me Piglet. (That was before the anti-anxiety meds.)

At least it wasn't Eeyore.

PattiTheWicked
08-08-2005, 06:26 PM
When I was married to my ex, among our crowd of friends everyone seemed to end up with nicknames -- he was Vicious Jay and I was Patti the Wicked. It kinda stuck, and even now, everyone I know calls me Patti the Wicked on a fairly regular basis. It's even on my license plate, sorta. My last name happens to start with W, so whne someone asks "What's the W for?" I just tell them "Wicked."

As to pet names, the three people I spend the most time with know me as Mom. My husband just calls me 'Hey baby."

Marisa Louise
08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
When I was really young, I was quite clumsy (still am), but I'm talking about being something like two years old here. My mom, at that time, to avoid my bursting into tears when I fell down, would always say "ooooh, crash 'n' burn!".

This sort of thing happened so often that I remember one night when I was probably 4, I wanted my mom to use a "pet name," and I said I wanted her to use "that one" that she used to call me when I'd fall down. I thought about it and as I said it, I realized it wasn't my nick name at all, but a statement that I'd fallen!

Typical pet-names amongst the children in my life are "Meesa" and "Nahnee" (for nanny).

Amongst family members: "Meece", "Little Marisa".

My mom: "Maroo", and "Boo Bear" are amongst her favorites.

And amongst high school friends: "Reese."

There are so many!!!!!

srwpnh
08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
My father nicknamed me "Sugar Puddin" and he still calls me that to this day.

My real name is Sabrina and my friends always called me "Sabby"

My husband calls me "sillyhead"

Gehanna
08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't have one (that I know of) ... my husband doesn't even call me by any pet names. Do you suppose there's something wrong with me that I don't have one?

I feel all Abby Normal now. *sniff* *sniff*

Unique
08-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Don't feel bad Gehanna. I haven't had one in decades.

(My favorite was 'Mink' but that was long, long ago & far, far away.)

Gehanna
08-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Hey there Unique! 8-)

Maybe pet names are like Mardi Gras beads. We gotta do sumthin' to earn em. Sooo what would YOU do for a Kit Kat bar....I mean pet name ?:banana:

Gehanna

Unique
08-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Oh, I don't know....stand on my head, eat crackers, and whistle Dixie?

I think I'll have it legally changed to Unique. Then maybe people will call me by my 'other' real name.