White Collar (USA)

DagnyTaggart

Another new original series for USA! And this already looks like it's going to be up there with Burn Notice as another hit.

From the website: "White Collar is about the unlikely partnership of a con artist and an FBI agent who have been playing cat and mouse for years. Neal Caffrey (Matt Bomer), a charming criminal mastermind, is finally caught by his nemesis, FBI Agent Peter Burke (Tim DeKay.)"

Kinda like the Thomas Crown affair? I'm feeling it.

Premeires 10/23 -- any one else intrigued?

DagnyTaggart

Bumping this thread as we are on the eve of premiere week. I've been seeing the ads like crazy, and I gotta admit, I'm still pretty excited for this to start up.

Plus, Tiffani Theissan is in this, too! Kelly Kapowski for life.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I will give it a go, but it seems a bit like it was designed by central casting based on a popular movie. It is not so much that it looks good, it looks like a pile of cliches, but with the right talent it could still be good--probably after the first half series cycles through all the obvious plot lines and the actors settle in.

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm half and half on this one.

I do agree it looks like it's a pile of cliches lol

Rather than Thomas Crown Affair, I was reminded of Catch Me If You Can. Just because he's really smart (about the illegal stuff, anyway) and he's helping the police out. Maybe he'll try running away too? Lol

The preview calling the MC a flirt just.. kind felt weird lol Way too trying too hard heh

DagnyTaggart

YES - Catch Me If You Can is a better comparison. Like, what happens AFTER he is finally caught. I was always curious to see how their professional relationship worked out. This show is like a nice continuation of that.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I'll probably watch it online. Or maybe live once Dollhouse is off the air in November (still uber not happy about that). Either way i'm going to watch it at some point.

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
So I thought the first episode was all right. The escape wasn't really that amazing but I thought the episode mystery was interesting. I'm not too fond of the whole girlfriend sidestory but I think this series could be worth watching.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree that the girlfriend thing is naff, especially if he is meant to be hitting in all these other gals whilst also pining for Lady Subplot. But it was better than I expected.

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
I hope they do away with her fast lol Maybe he'll find her and she'll tell him she really doesn't love him and he'll resist but finally let her go. I'm hoping for that rather than "sorry, I do love you but I had to leave because of [insert some problem she has]."

The show was better than I expected too, and I guess USA thinks people will/do really like it since they're pushing Psych and using WC to get through November sweeps.

Oh, was it just me or was the whole "getting a place to live by way of a loaded widow" kind of.. a cop out? lol I thought it was way too easy and fast.

RoseColoredSkies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I really enjoyed the episode. I thought it was sort of a mix of Leverage and Catch Me If You Can. I liked the escape at the beginning. I thought it was clever and the fact that he managed to fool so many people was great.

Reminded me a bit of Burn Notice too with him relying on his not-so-law-abiding friend. And who doesn't love Mark Sheppard in a show! Leverage, Warehouse 13, Firefly just to name a few. All great shows...he just brings the bad guy.

I actually think the girlfriend angle could be interesting. I'm more interested in the whole picture thing. The guy with the ring.

DagnyTaggart

I agree -- I think the whole Kate (girlfriend) backstory could be super interesting... if nothing else than to keep Neal on his toes. And the way that Peter and Neal are bonding, I can't help but think he is going to come around and start helping him try to track her down.

Also am curious to hear more about Diahann Carol's late husband. Another thief? There has got to be some great stories there.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
It was fun. Not groundbreaking or something I can imagine being avid about watching (like Burn Notice), but a solid program with good actors and decent writing. I'll probably catch it for Matt Bomer, who I find completely charming in and out of the show.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
YES - Catch Me If You Can is a better comparison. Like, what happens AFTER he is finally caught. I was always curious to see how their professional relationship worked out. This show is like a nice continuation of that.
Actually a better comparison is "It Takes a Thief" (1968)

"Alexander Mundy - smooth, suave, sophisticated - is the world's greatest cat burglar. Finally arrested after years of pilfering, he strikes a deal with American agent Noah Bain: a full pardon if Mundy agrees to use his skills to steal for the SIA, an American espionage agency. Technically under house arrest, Mundy travels all over the world performing daring acts of thievery in the name of Uncle Sam."

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
I was watching It Takes A Thief (the one with Robert Wagner) and thought this looked like a newer version. I was hooked when Neil managed to get the awesome living space and Pete sputtered and said something about how in his position-(average working guy I guess) he wasn't supposed to have such a place. And Neal said "Why Not?"
It's less what was said and more HOW. It sounded like an honest I don't see why not-question, not the usual sarcasm. That's why I like it. Not so much the general story idea of former criminal working for the cops. That's not uncommon. It's just not so cynical and sarcastic. So many tv shows these days are so dark, its nice to have a fun one with twists that still leaves me guessing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am beginning to lose interest. It looks like the girlfriend subplot is going to be the main running story and it doesn't grab me.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Starting to get a little frustrated with the lack of real conflict. It seems like every time Caffrey wants to do something crazy, Burke lets him, and there are never any consequences. Even when Caffrey goes off on a crazy angle without getting permission, there are no real consequences. Burke made a comment this episode about Caffrey needing to re-earn his trust after stealing the painting and I didn't believe it for a second. Caffrey is never going to go back to prison or suffer any other consequences, no matter what he does, and that strips a lot of tension from the premise for me. I mean, straight-laced FBI agent vs con man sounds cool, right? Because of the conflict. Which we aren't getting.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
What this show really needs, I think, is for Caffrey to come up with something crazy and Burke tells him no and means it, and Caffrey does it anyway and they send him back to prison. Then there would be tangible consequences other than a stern glare.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING. I was JUST thinking: "This mystery about who kidnapped Kate is pointless, because they're trying to make us think a certain thing, and they'll never have the nerve to actually -"

AND THEN THEY DID.

:eek:

Last edited:

RoseColoredSkies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
At least we only have to wait til January to find out what happens. Unlike sows like Glee and V that don't come back til March or April.

But last night's episode was really really good! I was totally suspecting the other guy at first (the OPR guy). Great misdirection. And the person that it really is, in a way makes sense. But only partly.