PDA

View Full Version : Help please...

amlptj
09-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi im clearly pretty new here, and since i have been on here i've noticed how many people are published and after writing the same series for 8 years i figured i shoud start trying to get published. The problem is i dont know the first step about what to do, or where to go.

Ive tryed asking for help in the YA section but i didnt get much feedback, can someone please help me! I'm seriously confused about the process and really want to get published.

If it helps any I'm 19 and write a YA horror series, I've written 5 full books already although the grammar and spelling in them probably needs some tuning up.

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone can give to me, Thanks alot!

NIYRAK
09-23-2009, 10:07 PM
First of all get your manuscripts polished. (fix errors).
Then do some research online into Literary Agents. If you just google Literary Agents you'll get a ton of hits. Next Research that agent. Make sure he/she is the right one for your books, (not to mention they are reputible.)
I'm new here too but from what I've seen on here these people have a good feel for wheather or not an agent is legit, so ask someone in a thread.
Age has no bering on anything. If your work is marketable than an agent won't care if you're 12.
Please Note. I AM NOT A PUBLISHED AUTHOR. I HAVE WRITTEN A NUMBER OF NOVELS BUT NEVER PUBLISHED. That being said there may be someone more seasoned who can better answer your questions.
Hope I helped.

Jess Haines
09-23-2009, 11:38 PM
KB has some good advice.

I suggest, after cleaning up what spelling and grammar errors you can find on your own, posting your work in the Share Your Work (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) section of this forum (password: vista).

You should also check out some agent blogs and other resources for tips on the process. See my blog post on industry tips/websites here (http://jesshaines.com/blog/2009/06/19/queries-and-advice/).

PM me if you have additional questions, I'd be glad to help.

amlptj
10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks for the advice!

Kregger
10-02-2009, 08:29 PM
You need to start developing a query. A query letter is the first contact for you with an agent. There is a very specific way to write these letters. Querry Hell will help. If you find a specific agent that is a fit for you and you blow them out of the water with a stinky query all of your work will be for naught.