I am about to buy a used Pontiac. (But there's a problem with the keyless entry.)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Actually, my dad is buying it for me as a gift. I spent the past two-and-a-half years taking care of my increasingly ill mother, and she passed away (last week) barely 15 days after the doctors accidentally discovered she had very advanced cancer (stage 4 of the secondary kind, no knowing where the hell the primary cancer was). Anyway, my father has come to see just how intently I had been caring for my mom, and now that I have a new job, I truly need another car. So he is buying me one this week, and even paying for the first year's insurance on it. It's a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am.

Now I realize Piontiac no longer exists. But I can't look a gift horse in the mouth. So if this is what he's buying me, so be it. Meanwhile, the car has only a key, but without the keyless entry thingy. And I would really like one of those. I mentioned it to the car dealer, and he brushed it off by saying "Oh you can pick up one of those anywhere." And then I mentioned it to my dad, and he said "You don't need one of those." But I really really want one.

So ...

How hard is it to get a keyless entry after you have bought a car from a used car lot?

How much does one cost?

And how likely am I to find one now that Ponitac is no more?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Hai

19 bucks + programming cost

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking if the dealer wants to sell the car badly enough, he'll make it happen.

And don't let him or your dad railroad you, even if it is a gift. Keyless entry is about your convenience and safety. It sucks to have to fumble with keys in a parking lot at night.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Its really cheap to get a replacement, and you can re-program it yourself. There are sites that explain how to do it.

Or you can take it to a GM dealer or any normal mechanic and they should be able to do it for you for cheap.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The dealer should also pay to have a second ignition key made. Just tell him you won't take the car without one, nor without TWO keyless remotes. You'll be amazed at how fast he'll make those available for you at no cost.

Good luck with your new ride. :)

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't making any more new Pontiacs, but the parts are still around ;). I would hope so, since I bought a new one this summer. Your Dad's a gem for doing this, BTW.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The car has been bought and paid for as of this morning. First we went to the dealer and signed all the papers. Then we went to the insurance agent and paid for a year's worth of insurance. Then we went to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and got a set of plates. (All told, my dad plunked down five digits for me. Yes, he's a gem.)

And I now have just one key (not two) and no beeper thingy on the key fob.

I went to the local GM dealership. They said my edition of the Grand Am --the SE edition-- is not equipped with keyless entry. The GT edition would have had it as a standard feature, but this ain't no GT, just an SE. And since it never came equipped with keyless entry from the factory, they will not install it. So now I have to go to some specialty shop that will install it for me.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That's a bummer about the keyless entry issue; whether you have that installed or not, make sure you have a spare key made as soon as possible.

Also, resist the urge to text while driving (unless you're posting on AW, of course)!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I owned a Pontiac one time.

Good luck.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's a bummer about the keyless entry issue; whether you have that installed or not, make sure you have a spare key made as soon as possible.

Also, resist the urge to text while driving (unless you're posting on AW, of course)!

Bummer indeed.

(And the no-texting thing: duly noted.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I might still have part of mine.

Every so often things would fall off . . . I would put them in a box.

(Believe it or not, I'm not completely kidding.)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I would have walked out of there if the dealer wouldn't give me what I asked for. There are other dealers and other cars--especially in this economy--and they know that.

But I'm kind of a bitch like that.

Still, you've got your car now. May it take you where you want to go. :)