When is the best time to call an agent?

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
An interested agent requested that I give him a call to set up a time to meet. I'm just wondering, when do you think is the best time to call?

Morning? Right before lunch? 1? 2? 3?

I'd love to hear your opinions and ideas.

Thanks.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Never having been in your enviable situation, I can only guess. But I'd say around 9:00 am would be the perfect time to call. Before any scheduled meetings have started but after his first morning coffee.

Congratulations and good luck!!

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I was thinking about 9, but I thought it would be too early. I wouldn't want to call right when the agent is getting set up for the day.

Thanks for thoughts and encouragement. :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
10:00. I always like 10:00 (for people calling me, hate calls before 10).

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Never having been in your enviable situation, I can only guess. But I'd say around 9:00 am would be the perfect time to call. Before any scheduled meetings have started but after his first morning coffee.

Congratulations and good luck!!

Agree with every word, including the enviable part. :D

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the secretary will fix the appointment - she's no doubt aware of the situation and expecting your call. Just a thought.

In any event the Agent requested the call -if he wanted a specific time avoided he'd have said so. I wouldn't worry about it.

I received professional calls at all times of the day for 40 years. In business, it comes with the territory.

And Good luck. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the secretary will fix the appointment - she's no doubt aware of the situation and expecting your call. Just a thought.

In any event the Agent requested the call -if he wanted a specific time avoided he'd have said so. I wouldn't worry about it.

I received professional calls at all times of the day for 40 years. In business, it comes with the territory.

And Good luck. Fingers crossed.

Well the agency is small at the moment so they don't have a secretary. The number is the agent's direct #.

Last edited:

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Don't call right before lunch, or at the very beginning of the business day. I think 9:30-10:30a or 2:30-3:30p are good periods of time. Of course, if he is busy or at a meeting, you can just leave a message.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that case he'll either be there and answer or he won't. I still honestly don't see any point in sweating about it.

Have your breakfast, then call him.

You have no control over whether he'll be ready to receive your call or not.

If everyone is thinking like this then the 'correct' time to phone will be the busiest and therefore the worst - no? :Hug2:

Well the agency is small at the moment so they don't have a secretary. The number is agent's direct #.

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
In that case he'll either be there and answer or he won't. I still honestly don't see any point in sweating about it.

Have your breakfast, then call him.

You have no control over whether he'll be ready to receive your call or not.

If everyone is thinking like this then the 'correct' time to phone will be the busiest and therefore the worst - no? :Hug2:

I understand what you mean, but I don't want to come off as if I don't respect his time.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand. But if I want to call a professional, I call him at any reasonable time. To me that means any time during recognised office hours and allowing for lunch between say 12 and 2.

What can he say? "Hi, Andrew. Don't you realise it's eleven-twentysix! That's my toilet time. Give me a second to get my pants up." :Hug2:

I understand what you mean, but I don't want to come off as if I don't respect his time.

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
I understand. But if I want to call a professional, I call him at any reasonable time. To me that means any time during recognised office hours and allowing for lunch between say 12 and 2.

What can he say? "Hi, Andrew. Don't you realise it's eleven-twentysix! That's my toilet time. Give me a second to get my pants up." :Hug2:

Lol - that's very true! :D

I'm thinking about calling a little after 9 - maybe 9:15 or 9:30. I doubt he would be in a meeting yet and our conversation should only take about 5 mins at the most.

I really think I'm over-complicating this. :tongue

Thanks for the advice everyone!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Lol - that's very true! :D

I'm thinking about calling a little after 9 - maybe 9:15 or 9:30. I doubt he would be in a meeting yet and our conversation should only take about 5 mins at the most.

I really think I'm over-complicating this. :tongue

Thanks for the advice everyone!
That sounds reasonable. Do exactly that.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the only time to call an agent was between 4 pm and 430 pm. But, dern it, can't remember now where I read it.

Of course, the piece WAS a bit tongue in cheek, but hey. I vote for 4:01 pm, the agent's time.

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the only time to call an agent was between 4 pm and 430 pm. But, dern it, can't remember now where I read it.

Of course, the piece WAS a bit tongue in cheek, but hey. I vote for 4:01 pm, the agent's time.

Really? That seems like a strange time. I would think that at around 4 they're pretty tired or in meetings.

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
Well I never had to call the agent, instead he sent an email and we sent up our meeting that way. Thanks for your help everyone!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Lukeman wasn't it?

Don't try to contact an editor or agent between 12:30 and 3. They will be lunching with other editors or agents. Don't contact them before lunch, because they will be settling in for the day. Don't contact them between 3 and 4, because they will be recovering from lunch and returning calls from those who called during lunch. Don't call them after 5, as Hollywood is finally waking up about then, and they are also preparing to leave for the day. So — if you absolutely must call — then call at exactly 4:30.