Goodwill

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be moving soon and want to unload some of my things rather than throw them away, but I don't know what Goodwill accepts/needs!

For example: VHS movies; VCR; old computer equipment, etc. Will they use something like that?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Call their number, they should tell you. You can probably unload anything they don't want on craigslist in the freebies section.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Most Goodwills (in my experience) will even come by and pick shit up. And yeah, I think they take all that sort of stuff. They have a lot of that kind of thing in the goodwill in my town. :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's useable they will take it. I'm not sure about computer parts. I know here the lady told me if you would or could use it yourself but have no need then donate it. They get irked caused often people try to unload their trash on them when in turn costs them money to dump it. This most often happens in their donation bins sadly.
I can't see any problem with a vcr, tapes, clothing, household good or books :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of Goodwill experience, and other thrift shop experience too.

Whether they pick up or you have to take it to them depends on the regional policy. Here, while some charities pick up, Goodwill does not. However, in my experience (think I could work that word in a few more times?), the places that pick up tend to reject far more stuff than the drop off charities. My theory is the guys loading the truck are 1) not really qualified to judge what will sell in the store, 2) not happy about lifting anything over 20 pounds. More than once both VOA and Salvation Army (which pick up) have refused items which I dropped off at Goodwill, accepted by a human rather than deposited in a donation bin.

Here, Goodwill does indeed take VHS tapes (and music cassette tapes as well, even vinyl records) and VCRs, but will accept computers and their components only if they're less than 5 years old. However, if you've got a working computer to get rid of, wipe the drive clean and put it in the "Free" listing for your city's Craigslist. Someone will want it.

Maryn, going to Goodwill today, as a matter of fact

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I love Goodwill and other thrift shops:) I may take a trip out there tomorrow.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I buy clothes there on occasion.

<---is poor.

But really, the goodwills where I live have some pretty nice stuff. :)

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I have no qualms about buying anything there if I like it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...if you've got a working computer to get rid of, wipe the drive clean and put it in the "Free" listing for your city's Craigslist. Someone will want it.
I noticed a college student once on Craigslist who needed a wireless router. I had recently upgraded mine, so I contacted her and said she could have it for free. She was very grateful but didn't have a car to pick up the item. So I mailed it to her, and you wouldn't believe how pleased she was. It was almost embarrassing to hear the accolades she sent my way.

That got me feeling really good, so when it came time recently to upgrade some household appliances, I did the same thing, scanning the ads for those who seemed in need but were short on cash. I gave away a clothes washer and dryer, a refrigerator, a dishwasher and a range. All were in good working order and went to families who were truly in need.

Goodwill may have accepted those items, but for me there was the added bonus of meeting the actual people who would use those appliances. To say they were thankful would be an understatement. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
When my girlfriend moved in (yeah, yeah, Haggis lives in sin...get over it), we had a bundle of duplicate stuff to get rid of from both of our houses. Fortunately, we knew a bunch of young kids--college students and working young folk who needed much of the stuff we had. We knew them from restaurants, bars stores, etc. where we hung and they worked. If they didn't need something, they had friend who did. We got rid of stuff and someone who needed it got it for free. That worked out well for all of us.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
When my girlfriend moved in (yeah, yeah, Haggis lives in sin...get over it), we had a bundle of duplicate stuff to get rid of from both of our houses. Fortunately, we knew a bunch of young kids--college students and working young folk who needed much of the stuff we had. We knew them from restaurants, bars stores, etc. where we hung and they worked. If they didn't need something, they had friend who did. We got rid of stuff and someone who needed it got it for free. That worked out well for all of us.
And it made you feel good, right? :)

That's the beauty of giving, when it fills your soul not only for sharing possessions but knowing they went to those who need them most.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I hate throwing perfectly good stuff out too.

I got such a kick out of one of the young ladies we gave a couch to. She got all excited and said something like, "I feel like such a grown-up now. I have stuff.":D