Blog-lit to ebook to big publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

CammyMayHunny

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I realize this isn't quite the right area for this query (wish there was a right area) *but I've gotten curious about this.

Has anybody started an online writing project, then moved it to ebook, and ended up getting published by a "real" publisher?

Or know of anybody else who has followed that trajectory?

(I realize that could describe books by Cory Doctorow, for instance, but am more interested in unknown writers who have followed that path for success.)

(I'm NOT interested in denunciations of the self-publishing process)

frenchiefrier

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar question. Has anyone gone from self-published eBook with suppporting website to conventional publishing in fiction?

Tara Stone

Registered
Reaction score
I believe Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney was posted online before a publisher picked it up and published it in print, but I don't know the details of that story.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sure it happens, that blog by a waiter, the one that became the movie about Julia Child. Most of them are non-fiction.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of those. There's a book coming out written by a blogger that fed herself for a month on $1 a day. She blogged about it every day and then eventually wrote a book and sold it. There's another one but it eludes me right now.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about gaining traditional publishing, but I do know that Alexandra Erin publishes her serial Tales of Mu online and is able to make a living doing so. (Her website: http://www.talesofmu.com/)

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about the ebook step, but "Waiter Rant" and "Overheard in New York" are the two blogs-to-books that first come to mind. I know I've seen the "I Can Has Cheezburger" book (started as a meme) and have heard about the Garfield Minus Garfield book (started as kind of a webcomic). And there are blogs where the author is working on a book and documents their discoveries/insights as they happen-- I've been following "The Happiness Project" for a couple of years.

CammyMayHunny

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks, folks.
Does anybody think this is a viable way to approach publication? Has anybody here on AbsoluteWrite done this?

Lonestar, what does "started as a meme" mean?

Okay, I ran out and took a scan of those titles. They mostly seem to be just sort of rants and grafiti and other pickups that got big enough to be one of those gift/humor books. Kind of neat to be able to do that, but hardly inspirational to aspiring novelists.

Hmmmm

Last edited:

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
You run across memes on forums, blogs, those sorts of places. A meme might be a "What Kind of Breakfast Cereal Are You?" kind of quiz. Or it might be a "How Many of These 100 Classic Books Have You Read?" kind of list. Rickrolling is a meme.

The "I Can Has Cheezburger" is the Lolcat meme, and is very visual. Other famous visual memes are demotivator posters, "Yo Dawg", "Sh*t Brix", and so on.

So basically, the "I Can Has Cheezburger" started off as an internet joke, and got so popular they made a book out of it.

CammyMayHunny

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
LOL I saw that on WFG, Valerie. It's what got me curious enough to ask around here. thanks though.
That's a really cool site, there.

And thanks to you, Lone Star. that cat cheezburger site is pretty hilarious.

It's odd, though that books would be coming from such things, just a turn of phrase of street sign or something.

Things are really getting different and that seems to me like a hint of tails wagging horses.

JFBookman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebookdesigner.com
The one about Julia Child is "Julie and Julia" starring Meryl Streep and yes, it was a blog first, then a book from a major pub, now a movie. Skipped the ebook phase.

Keep in mind that the blog was a terrific piece of writing that had an irresistable hook: cooking all the recipes in the classic Mastering The Art of French Cooking while also ruminating on life, marriage, etc. It deserved to be a book. But it can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.