I Hate Spiders (A Moral Dilemma)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I hate the furry little things. They freak me out and give me the willies. And when you live somewhere with these things:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2roxfox/439467034/ (warning, graphic)

Yeah...let's just say I hate spiders. I don't care if they eat cockroaches and mosquitoes. So I am double damned because I both hate them and am afraid of them and therefore like to stay as far away from them as possible. I have spider killy spray (yes, that's the technical name for it), but I gotta say...I feel guilty when I kill them! Yes, it's true. Can't let them outside because I'd have to, you know, like...touch them (this is really funny because no other bugs really bother me at all). I just also feel bad for the poor little spider whose only crime was thinking my house was not a spider-free zone.

Ah, what a quandary. :p

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Ah, I have a couple of fairly aggressive jumping spiders that live by the hall light. The light attracts the flies. The spiders eat the flies. Now, if I could only convince the spiders to move to the kitchen where most of the flies are...

I'm pro-spider with the exception of the three brown recluses I found in my house. Those suckers died a swift death because I don't need my babies to be bitten by one of those.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was bitten by a brown recluse when I was 8. It was really really really painful and drawn-out and disgusting as well. 18 years later I still have a very visible scar. For that reason, my philosophy is KILL THEM! Because if they had the chance, THEY WOULD KILL YOU!

Also, I have seen those spiders before like in your picture (in Hawaii, where they call them cane spiders and just chuckle at the sight of a hideous 3 inch arachnid beast on their living room wall) and they are really really oogy.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I shall thank god today I live in a place that's so cold for so much of the year we can't grow them big, poisonous spiders at all. I guess maybe that's why I neither hate nor fear spiders.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I remove them from my house, very carefully. I take a paper plate & cut it in half. I get a plastic cup.

Then I put the plastic cup on top of the spider & use the paper plate as a scoop & lid. I then take the whole thing outside and throw it away from me.

I disagree about the 'house spiders can't live outside' statement (sorry). I would think that as long as the house spider has cover (like under a deck) then it will be OK.

I don't kill spiders because they eat blood sucking b!!ches (aka mosquitoes) which I HATE.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I can not kill spiders. I am not fond of them - and really do not like them in the house. Part of my sitting room has been named Spider Alley as the large house spiders seem to like scuttling up and down the area. I suppose I also bring them into the house when I bring in logs for the fire. But I can not kill them. I can get them in a similar way to threedogpeople and dispose of them in the garden where no doubt a bird will get them. I do like the ones that built webs near my tomato plants and did an excellent job catching nasty beasties.

I still shudder at the memory of the first time I read Lord of the Rings - a huge spider descended on its' web between me and the book. I screamed and my dad rushed in took in the situation and closed my book on the beastie! He got me a new copy the next day.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am basically okay with web-building spiders, although they should understand that their webs are subject to brooming at any time. The ones that are Not Allowed in the house are the hunting variety. The ones that move in little short bursts or jump when you get close to them. Sorry, no, you guys must go OUT.

Morgan A.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm terrified of spiders, but hate killing things. I especially loathe and despise those spiders that "play dead" - you know, the ones that curl up and hold still to make you think they're dead when they're really absolutely fine and scurry away as soon as you turn around to get a paper towel to pick them up... I have no idea of what they're called, but they're black and stocky. They make me feel especially terrible, because just as I'm mourning having to kill them (because they bite) they jump up and I've got to try to kill them all over again! Talk about compounding guilt...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Dude - spider with fur.

Kill it.

Agreed.

If spiders fear the cold, then I'm off to the North Pole.

jdun39l.jpg

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I'm terrified of spiders, but hate killing things. I especially loathe and despise those spiders that "play dead" - you know, the ones that curl up and hold still to make you think they're dead when they're really absolutely fine and scurry away as soon as you turn around to get a paper towel to pick them up... I have no idea of what they're called, but they're black and stocky. They make me feel especially terrible, because just as I'm mourning having to kill them (because they bite) they jump up and I've got to try to kill them all over again! Talk about compounding guilt...

:roll:

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
We have spiders in Jersey. Wolf spiders in the basement - they're goners the minute I spot them. Daddy Long Legs - can't kill them. I'll gladly help them outside.
Little black jumping spiders - don't like them. And spiders that bite. I got a spider bite a few years ago. It took ages to go away and itched like hell.

My dilemma is with bees. They've taken over a small corner where the porch meets the house and they've expanded into an underground city. I don't want to obliterate it because of the problems with the bees dying out, but on the other hand, want to protect my real estate. I've heard bees can do a lot of damage.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my cat eats them.

I'm so jealous.

My cat won't eat bugs; she just plays with them. And she often brings them to me - alive! So, if I see a bug, I kill it. Otherwise, my cat may bring it to bed.

Now I feel creepy-crawly. :(

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
We have spiders in Jersey. Wolf spiders in the basement - they're goners the minute I spot them. Daddy Long Legs - can't kill them. I'll gladly help them outside.
Little black jumping spiders - don't like them. And spiders that bite. I got a spider bite a few years ago. It took ages to go away and itched like hell.

My dilemma is with bees. They've taken over a small corner where the porch meets the house and they've expanded into an underground city. I don't want to obliterate it because of the problems with the bees dying out, but on the other hand, want to protect my real estate. I've heard bees can do a lot of damage.

You know, oddly I don't kill daddy long legs either. I'm not horribly fond of them, but I don't kill them. I can't kill the really teeny little baby ones, either. I get teased relentlessly here because I'm afraid of spiders and scream like a girl if one catches me by surprise (well, a big one). Apparently being afraid of spiders just isn't as common in Japan. Fear of months on the other hand, something different entirely.

Bees are scary. I'm guessing you know for sure it's a safe variety? I remember when I lived in the south if there were bees you'd get rid of them immediately because killer bees were occasionally found around. Maybe you can see if there's a bee keeper or someone near by and ask their advice?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com

Definitely call a beekeeper. If they're honeybees, some beekeepers will come and get them for you. Even if the beekeeper doesn't want to mess with them, he/she will probably know of someone in the area who can remove them. Worth a shot, and you won't have to call an exterminator after they cause expensive damage to the walls of your house.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders outside are fine. I'm not sure what we have the most of; spiders or mosquitoes, so outside the spiders can rule the world for all I care, because they eat mosquitoes.

Spider in the house... meet shoe! I'd rather have snakes in the house than those icky sticky spiders.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I was cleaning up the vegetable garden the other day for fall planting and dang near put my hand right on a Black Widow. I cut that dear in half with a shovel.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I have a creepy, morbid fascination with spiders, but they terrify me. Any other bug I find in the house, I will pick up or catch it is something and put it outside. I do not like killing things. And I know how beneficial spiders are. But I have such an irrational fear of them. Well, maybe not completely irrational. We have black widows here, and I am afraid of my kids or dogs getting bit. Plus, I was bit by a spider in my sleep. Woke up to a sharp pinch right about my eye. Woke up swatting my face, and found a spider in my bed. My eye got so swollen. Even if they don't bite, I can't be around them. I will scream like a little girl.