Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hi everyone. I am VERY new to this section and could use some help. I have an editor over at Kensington who is interested in taking on my action/adventure novel, but she would like me to pop in two love scenes. One hetro and one lesbian. My question is, how far am I supposed to go with these scenes? Ive heard that "sex scene" doesnt mean "sex manuel" so I get that, but as someone who never reads erotica, Im at a loss here. Does anyone have any useful advice or suggestions as to books I could look over? Thanks!

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Hi - I belong to RWA and several of the speakers we've had at monthly meetins say that NY editors want sex scenes and the hotter the better! You might want to ask the Kensington editor how hot she wants them! Read some Harlequin "Blaze" line - they are VERY explicit. Go to some of the RWA writer's websites - they might have excerpts or might even help you. Do you belong to RWA? If there's a group near you, I'd encourage you to go and just visit. You'll be amazed at how much help you get!

Carlene

www.crdater.com

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree. Ask the editor at Kensington which line it's being considered for and ask if there's a book in that line that has similar scenes to the level of sexuality she's looking for. The various lines have different levels.

(BTW -- "erotica" isn't the same as a sexy romance. Whole different creature. I wouldn't go looking for a book that's considered erotica to use as a sample, or Kensington won't want it anymore.)

I'd say something like this:
Dear XXX,

Thanks so much for considering my manuscript. I'd certainly be happy to add the scenes you're looking for, but would appreciate a little guidance. Could you tell me which line you're considering my book for and perhaps a title in that line that is close to the level of sexual content you're hoping for my book? Then I make sure that I give you something you'll be proud to publish. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cath, I believe Kensington is launching an erotica line. Hotter, more explicit than their Brava line.

Rush says this is an action/adventure novel, though, not a romance.

Rush, since you already have a connection with this editor, and she wants your book if you "pop in" these love scenes, I'd say give her a call and ask her exactly how "hot" or graphic she wants them. (Or you could write or email her. But you do have a legitimate reason for calling if you'd prefer to call.)

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I hadn't heard that, Susan! Thanks for the heads up. It seems like EVERYBODY is starting a new erotica line lately. Tor, HQ, Ballantine, HarperTorch, etc. It'll be an interesting looking romance bookshelf in 2007, huh? I saw in a local Waldenbooks today that EC (Ellora's Cave) has purchased the footprint of an entire bookcase for their new trade paper releases. That's MAJOR bucks! I'll be interested to see how well they do in print.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I gave myself an assignment earlier this year to see if I could write a straight vanilla sex scene that was graphic, hot and most importantly NOT funny.

I was quite successful. It probably won't make it into anything that I send out, but it's a lot of fun to read when I'm bored. One of my girlfriends asked, red-faced, "Good God! Can I have a copy of that?" That was a fun review.

Anyway, I found that you don't need to label body parts. If the reader doesn't know what you're talking about, they probably aren't old enough to be reading that sort of thing anyway. I was surprised at how easy it was once I got started.

Oh, and drink a lot of water... you'll probably get dehydrated.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
I hadn't heard that, Susan! Thanks for the heads up. It seems like EVERYBODY is starting a new erotica line lately. Tor, HQ, Ballantine, HarperTorch, etc. It'll be an interesting looking romance bookshelf in 2007, huh? I saw in a local Waldenbooks today that EC (Ellora's Cave) has purchased the footprint of an entire bookcase for their new trade paper releases. That's MAJOR bucks! I'll be interested to see how well they do in print.

I hear Ellora's Cave is doing verrrryyyy nicely. And I heard from some of their authors that it's really the very erotic stuff that sells the best. :) Good on them!

But the footprint of a bookcase - that sounds great. Do you think that's something like the endcap displays that Borders has for category? (The Harlequin/Silhouette stuff is shelved on special displays at the end of two bookcases in Borders.)

Susan G.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
No, it's the WHOLE bookcase, with an EC label actually STENCILED on the bookcase!! :eek: Six feet high, five feet long, and every shelf! That's what was so impressive.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
No, it's the WHOLE bookcase, with an EC label actually STENCILED on the bookcase!! :eek: Six feet high, five feet long, and every shelf! That's what was so impressive.

Wow. That IS impressive.

I wonder if they will sell as well "in person" as they do off the internet? You know, there's not that "embarassment" factor when you buy off the internet as when you have to take it up to a clerk and pay for it.

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.