PDA

View Full Version : Need a Bible Story

raelwv
09-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Wondering if someone can point me to a Bible story, one that a pastor might use as a jumping off point for a sermon on the resolve to stand up and do the right thing against great odds.

Thanks,

scarletpeaches
09-22-2009, 06:44 AM
The two spies, Joshua and Caleb?

Job's loyalty through the deaths of his children.

It depends on what sort of 'right thing' you're talking about. Jesus did plenty but he was perfect and we're not, so it might be a bit of a stretch to apply his life story to other people!

Oh! Oh! I know! Peter's denying Jesus three times and the regret he felt afterwards.

DavidZahir
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
The story of Gideon? Job, who refused to admit he'd committed a sin he knew he had not? Or maybe Noah? Daniel and the lion's den?

JoNightshade
09-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd pick a Daniel story - lion's den or getting thrown into the fire with his buddies. If you wanted to go outside the bible there's lots of nice martyr stories. ;) Oh, Joseph in Egypt is also a good example, as is David when Saul is attacking him and such.

III
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Or the great cliche - David vs. Goliath

Cyia
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
The stoning of Stephen.
Paul demanding to see Ceasar when he could have walked away.
Paul and Silas(?) refusing to stop preaching and leave quietly when they were told to by the local rulers.
David seeking out Mephibosheth (Jonathan's son) to honor him.
Noah building the ark in a desert when it had never rained before.
The entire crucifixion story.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the firey furnace.
Ruth sticking with Naomi.
Esther going to see the king even though it could have meant her death.
Nehemiah restoring Jerusalem despite opposition.
Mordecai not backing down to Haman.
Tamar pretending to be a prostitute to make her father-in-law realize he'd done her wrong.

WmHopper
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
My first thought was Samson at the end.

Paul allowing himself to be arrested even though he could have taken the easy way out by declaring that he was a Roman citizen.

Haggai and Zacharia rebuilding the Temple despite the impoverished nation. That's a good one because there's a lot of inspirational quotes available.

Jesus at the wedding in Canaan turning water into wine even though he said "Woman, it is not my time" but obeyed his mother's wishes regardless.

Cassiopeia
09-22-2009, 08:10 AM
The story of Mary the prostitute. "Thy sins are forgiven thee, go and sin no more."

blacbird
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
The man who gave talents to his three sons, and how each behaved with his bequest.

caw

semilargeintestine
09-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Please use a NT story. There are plenty of them (although I can't help you, there are plenty listed here).

ChocolateLady43
09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
What about the walls of Jericho coming down?

johnnysannie
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Please use a NT story. There are plenty of them (although I can't help you, there are plenty listed here).

Why NT?

threedogpeople
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I would suggest the text: John 8:1-11. This is the story of Jesus intervening in the stoning of a woman accused of adultery. It is also the source of the expression "cast the first stone".

Sarpedon
09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
The book of Acts is full of stories of the Apostles going on their mission in spite of great difficulties: they are frequently arrested, are forced to go into hiding and flee from town to town, the even get stoned (and not the good kind of stoned). After some of this happens to him, Paul says "We must suffer great hardships to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" Acts 14:21

StephanieFox
09-23-2009, 12:30 AM
My first thought was Samson at the end.

Paul allowing himself to be arrested even though he could have taken the easy way out by declaring that he was a Roman citizen.

Haggai and Zacharia rebuilding the Temple despite the impoverished nation. That's a good one because there's a lot of inspirational quotes available.

Jesus at the wedding in Canaan turning water into wine even though he said "Woman, it is not my time" but obeyed his mother's wishes regardless.

Ah, the Jewish boy always does what his mom wants....

scarletpeaches
09-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Why NT?He's a professional Jew and gets first dibs on the OT. :D

(Yes, I am joking).

Cyia
09-23-2009, 03:02 AM
There's also the stories of Elijah's run-ins with Jezebel/Ahab.

raelwv
09-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks - very helpful!