What motivates you to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
This is unadulterated procrastination i'm afraid.

Right now, my motivation has gone phut; hubby has been away for almost three weeks and will be home in just over an hour (and toddler is asleep in bed - hurrah!). Word is open, i have notes out but my mind is entirely elsewhere (ahem).

But i'm curious, what motivates you to write?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The pressure of all those stories I've got to tell in a finite lifetime, unless, of course, I can get some friendly vampire to turn me.

And the thought of that house in Harwichport that's just waiting to suck up my advance checks.

;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
--The stack of bills on my desk.
--The burning desire to tell great stories.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... nothing usually. That's a bit of an exageration, but does hold true many times. To get myself to write, some days, I literally have to force myself at gun point. It's not that I'm not into writing or that I'm not excited about finishing some project or other but that I'm just feeling rather lazy and would rather be doing something else that requires less effort and gives more immediate satisfaction, especially when I'm tired from work.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Really good anime's my primary motivating factor.

Reaction score
This.

And - the story won't write itself. If I don't write it, no one else will.
The title of Eric Sykes' autobiography.

But yeah...what motivates me? It's fun. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do with my time*, so it's not a matter of motivation. It's a matter of...why the hell wouldn't I?

*That I can mention here, anyway.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
My kids are grown up, I have fatigue issues that keep me out of the workforce, and I can't spend the rest of my life polishing silver and doing crosswords. Plus, I've been dreaming of writing since I was six, and now I can finally do it.

It would also make hubby very happy if I could actually make some money at this, and I do like to make hubby happy.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Words are always flying through my mind,characters whisper and the only way to get all of this out is to write. I quite enjoy myself when I write. It is a better high than any drug ever produced. It's glorious when that sense of excitement rises as I get a new idea. My hands tremble,my breath quickens and I can hardly wait to get home to my computer. Then the fun begins! How crazy can I get? What does this character want? Did I really just write that? It is exciting,wild,and just plain fun. I also suffer from an insane ego. Nobody's vampires are like mine. Nobody's paranormal YA romance with an AA twist is like mine. My stories deserve to be told.

Sure,I want to get published and earn a magnificent advance so that I can spend it all with John Galliano,Christian LaBoutin, and Vivienne Westwood. Plus,the adoring fans!

But at the heart of it,I write for the sheer pleasure of it. Writing makes me happy.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
The story.

My time is limited and I sometimes go through phases where I decide I'm not gonna write and spend my free time pursuing other interests.

But the damn story always pulls me back. It whispers in my ear at night and haunts my dreams, perches upon my shoulder while I'm driving and keeps me company during work.

Its presence is always there, and the force of it builds within me until I have no choice but to write again.

Bastard.

Reaction score
Please tell me you're referring to Flatulence of the Gods. I want to read that someday.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I write because I'm a writer. No motivation is needed.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy the setting and like playing 'what if' mind games there. The setting part surprised me, but yeah... it's fun to conjure up the place and 'watch' what everybody does.

Don't confuse that with living out my fantasies on the page. I kinda hate it when you can tell that's what the author is doing.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I simply enjoy the process of writing. It's not a means to an end. To be honest I'm not driven to tell a story. I don't have voices, characters or ideas that wont leave me alone until I've put them on the page. I certainly have things which interest me.

I write about those.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
Reading really good writing, the kind that makes me have a brain orgasm. I want to make other people have them too. And the occasional publishing fantasy.

TooJoyful00

TooJoyful00
Registered
Reaction score
Relax

This is unadulterated procrastination i'm afraid.

Right now, my motivation has gone phut; hubby has been away for almost three weeks and will be home in just over an hour (and toddler is asleep in bed - hurrah!). Word is open, i have notes out but my mind is entirely elsewhere (ahem).

But i'm curious, what motivates you to write?

Put the pen and paper down, don't focus on the notes.
Just allow the ideas to come to you.
Relax and allow your mind to work.

"Good`luck"

TheAntar

Registered
Reaction score
The stories don't leave me alone until I write them down.

I really, really enjoy the feeling I get when someone else enjoys something I've created, be it written or not (I'm sure I'd get the same feeling if I could paint, or program computer games, or whatever, but writing is my medium of choice).

Oh also I really enjoy expressing myself and my opinions.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
For me it's mainly to do with reading comprehension. I read a lot and reflect on it. I feel I need to commit it to paper or it will be lost. It helps me understand what I'm reading and sort it out in my head. The story form is just the vehicle for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.