PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you to write?

Rarri
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
This is unadulterated procrastination i'm afraid.

Right now, my motivation has gone phut; hubby has been away for almost three weeks and will be home in just over an hour (and toddler is asleep in bed - hurrah!). Word is open, i have notes out but my mind is entirely elsewhere (ahem).

But i'm curious, what motivates you to write?

quickWit
09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
sex and stuff.

:D

Red-Green
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
If I don't write it down, the story just keeps playing over and over in my head. Once I write it down, it eases up on me.

Kujai
09-21-2009, 10:51 PM
If I don't write it down, the story just keeps playing over and over in my head. Once I write it down, it eases up on me.

So, you don't write the story, the story writes you.

Phaeal
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
The pressure of all those stories I've got to tell in a finite lifetime, unless, of course, I can get some friendly vampire to turn me.

And the thought of that house in Harwichport that's just waiting to suck up my advance checks.

;)

aadams73
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
--The stack of bills on my desk.
--The burning desire to tell great stories.

Ken
09-21-2009, 10:56 PM
... nothing usually. That's a bit of an exageration, but does hold true many times. To get myself to write, some days, I literally have to force myself at gun point. It's not that I'm not into writing or that I'm not excited about finishing some project or other but that I'm just feeling rather lazy and would rather be doing something else that requires less effort and gives more immediate satisfaction, especially when I'm tired from work.

Darzian
09-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Really good anime's my primary motivating factor.

ChaosTitan
09-21-2009, 11:41 PM
--The stack of bills on my desk.
--The burning desire to tell great stories.

This.

And - the story won't write itself. If I don't write it, no one else will.

scarletpeaches
09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
This.

And - the story won't write itself. If I don't write it, no one else will.The title of Eric Sykes' autobiography.

But yeah...what motivates me? It's fun. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do with my time*, so it's not a matter of motivation. It's a matter of...why the hell wouldn't I?

*That I can mention here, anyway.

Judg
09-22-2009, 12:11 AM
My kids are grown up, I have fatigue issues that keep me out of the workforce, and I can't spend the rest of my life polishing silver and doing crosswords. Plus, I've been dreaming of writing since I was six, and now I can finally do it.

It would also make hubby very happy if I could actually make some money at this, and I do like to make hubby happy.

AnonymousWriter
09-22-2009, 01:58 AM
I have things to say.

Kitty27
09-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Words are always flying through my mind,characters whisper and the only way to get all of this out is to write. I quite enjoy myself when I write. It is a better high than any drug ever produced. It's glorious when that sense of excitement rises as I get a new idea. My hands tremble,my breath quickens and I can hardly wait to get home to my computer. Then the fun begins! How crazy can I get? What does this character want? Did I really just write that? It is exciting,wild,and just plain fun. I also suffer from an insane ego. Nobody's vampires are like mine. Nobody's paranormal YA romance with an AA twist is like mine. My stories deserve to be told.

Sure,I want to get published and earn a magnificent advance so that I can spend it all with John Galliano,Christian LaBoutin, and Vivienne Westwood. Plus,the adoring fans!

But at the heart of it,I write for the sheer pleasure of it. Writing makes me happy.

brokenfingers
09-22-2009, 03:16 AM
The story.

My time is limited and I sometimes go through phases where I decide I'm not gonna write and spend my free time pursuing other interests.

But the damn story always pulls me back. It whispers in my ear at night and haunts my dreams, perches upon my shoulder while I'm driving and keeps me company during work.

Its presence is always there, and the force of it builds within me until I have no choice but to write again.

Bastard.

scarletpeaches
09-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Please tell me you're referring to Flatulence of the Gods. I want to read that someday.

brokenfingers
09-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Please tell me you're referring to Flatulence of the Gods. I want to read that someday.Well, I did say the force of it builds within me.

Wayne K
09-22-2009, 03:36 AM
I write because I'm a writer. No motivation is needed.

scarletpeaches
09-22-2009, 03:38 AM
Well, I did say the force of it builds within me.Allow me to congratulate you on you forthcoming eruption. I'm sure its aroma will tickle the nosehairs of loyal readers for miles around.

backslashbaby
09-22-2009, 03:48 AM
I enjoy the setting and like playing 'what if' mind games there. The setting part surprised me, but yeah... it's fun to conjure up the place and 'watch' what everybody does.

Don't confuse that with living out my fantasies on the page. I kinda hate it when you can tell that's what the author is doing.

Rose English
09-22-2009, 04:56 AM
I simply enjoy the process of writing. It's not a means to an end. To be honest I'm not driven to tell a story. I don't have voices, characters or ideas that wont leave me alone until I've put them on the page. I certainly have things which interest me.

I write about those.

Kenzie
09-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Reading really good writing, the kind that makes me have a brain orgasm. I want to make other people have them too. And the occasional publishing fantasy.

TooJoyful00
09-22-2009, 06:21 AM
This is unadulterated procrastination i'm afraid.

Right now, my motivation has gone phut; hubby has been away for almost three weeks and will be home in just over an hour (and toddler is asleep in bed - hurrah!). Word is open, i have notes out but my mind is entirely elsewhere (ahem).

Put the pen and paper down, don't focus on the notes.
Just allow the ideas to come to you.
Relax and allow your mind to work.

"Good`luck"

MsGneiss
09-22-2009, 06:40 AM
I can't think of a better way of telling the story to people.

TheAntar
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
The stories don't leave me alone until I write them down.

I really, really enjoy the feeling I get when someone else enjoys something I've created, be it written or not (I'm sure I'd get the same feeling if I could paint, or program computer games, or whatever, but writing is my medium of choice).

Oh also I really enjoy expressing myself and my opinions.

DrZoidberg
09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
For me it's mainly to do with reading comprehension. I read a lot and reflect on it. I feel I need to commit it to paper or it will be lost. It helps me understand what I'm reading and sort it out in my head. The story form is just the vehicle for the ideas.

Namatu
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Writing makes me happy. I smile, get gleeful - all because I'm writing about the people and stories in my head. That's free entertainment!

sommemi
09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Procrastination from real work. LOL
Seriously - I'm a horrible procrastinator... so when there's some awful job at work I don't want to do, I tend to come out here and goof around and end up with ideas in my head that won't go away.... and then I start writing them and realize "crud! I have work to do!" then have to go home and think about the wonderful story waiting for me on my work computer. UGH! :)

Otherwise... I guess what motivates me is writing stories since I can't afford to buy them right now. If I make them up, then I'll have something to read when I'm done with it... cause my memory is so horrible I probably won't remember what I wrote in the beginning.

Cranky
09-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I've never thought about it, really. I write because it's something I've done for a very long time. If I'm not writing fiction, I'm journaling or making lists. Words are sort of an anchor for me; they help me make sense of the senseless, help me to understand myself and others, and it's a means of self-expression. I just do it, that's all. My motivation for submitting is something else altogether, though.

barbilarry
09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Writing is what brought me to AW. I love it here and all you guys too. Need I say more?

Jane

Libbie
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM

To be honest, the possibility of being well liked does it for me. I write with readers' enjoyment in mind (always telling the stories that interest me, of course) and I want to blow their minds. I want to get onto readers' personal "top ten books" lists. I want to make people love my work so much that they write awful fanfic about it and draw horrid (and good, too) fan art.

Recently somebody posted a quote from Donald Maass, wherein he claimed that people write for two reasons. Some write because they like to perfect a story, and he called them "storytellers." Some write because they want acclaim, and he called them "status seekers." I'm a status seeker, and I see no point in being apologetic or ashamed about it.

I'm not a pretty woman. I never have been pretty. Women are expected to be beautiful, or they lack status, power, and sometimes even a voice in our society. I can't be pretty visually, so I make pretty stories. And the more people love what I write, the prettier I am. And the more worth I have to the world. ;)

Pathological, perhaps, but honest. And I don't give a pinch how my honest answer makes me look. I write because it's my way of gaining status, recognition, and voice in a world that's always ignored me because I'm not pretty enough. EAT MY PRETTY WORDS, WORLD! BWA HA HA HA!