• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Struggling writer requesting mentor(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridgecrisis

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like every post in here is for beta readers (this IS a mentor forum too, right?)... but I'm not that far yet with my project. Actually, I've been having a bit of a crisis with writing lately, wondering if what I'm writing is any good, whether or not I have "what it takes"... and it's weighing me down.

I guess what I'm asking for is someone who can help gently whip me into shape. My project and main interest is YA fantasy, with some sci-fi elements in there as well. I get embarrassed when people ask me what my book is about. I feel like no one cares because it's not big, important Adult Fiction, firmly rooted in reality. I don't want to feel like this about something I've put so much time into and care about so much.

Another thing I'm struggling with is reading. Since I've signed up here, I've been reading a lot of threads, including Uncle Jim's and Miss Snark. I read the news or magazines when it's convenient. I enjoy reading manga every now and again. Reading non-fiction (particularly writing help books) is usually not a problem. I can read novels for school well enough. But none of this seems to matter, somehow. I have the hardest time reading novels for my own reasons. There are a few I've loved (Markus Zusak and M.T. Anderson are two authors whose novels I can generally get through) but for the most part, I'll pick something up at the library with good intentions but never read it after the first day. It drives me nuts, because I feel like if I can't even READ a novel, how am I ever going to WRITE one? I feel like there are a million other things I'd rather do than read, even though I like reading.

What I'd like, ideally, is someone who has maybe been through this before who can maybe share some experiences of how they got through it. I'd like it if there was someone who could give me some gentle pushes now and again about reading through emails or PMs, maybe suggesting books I might be able to get through. Someone experienced and interested in YA fantasy who I can explain my novel to, give excerpts to, who can tell me honestly if they see any potential there, or if I'm wasting my time. Any one-time feedback on this thread would be much appreciated too.

These are things I should be able to do for myself but I honestly struggle. Writing is what I'd love to do for a living but there's something wrong right now and I'm hoping some kind of push in the right direction might help, or at least confirm to me that the writing life isn't for me. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or anything. Thanks for reading.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Fridgecrisis, let's talk.

If you wonder if you have what it takes -- welcome to the world of writing. In between bursts of inspiration, I wonder about my abilities, too. With every rejection, I wonder. When I reread one of my pages and it reads like it was written by an uninspired chimp, I wonder. When I struggle to connect Point A to Point B, I wonder.

If you get embarrassed when people ask what your book is about, don't tell people that you're writing a book. For some writers, talking about their opus-to-be seems to kill their motivation to finish the project. These days, if I'm going to talk about my writing (and I almost never do), I only talk about those projects that I've completed. Even if someone is negative about one of those projects, it doesn't affect the work. Done is done. But half-done can become never-completed if you let other people second-guess you.

Do you have the potential to make it as a writer? Probably. You wrote a fun and revealing post. But writing is as tough a job as I've ever had (and this from a guy that's worked in construction and been a welder). Acceptance is rare and rejection is always lurking around the corner. You have to decide whether you've got the steel in you to deal with such an uncaring world. Unless you're a second-rate celebrity on a third-rate cable show, publishers aren't begging to see your words. Then you have to decide whether you've got the heart in you to complete your manuscript. You don't need someone here to look at your partial and tell you if you've got the chops. If you've got the chops, you'll finish the thing. If you finish your YA fantasy, you've got the goods. If you don't, then you're wasting your time.

You're right; you've got to read to improve what you write. You're already reading the interesting Markus Zusak so I know that you're exploring YA. You enjoy manga so I know you're bright If you're looking for something else to read: My brother doesn't enjoy reading fiction but discovered that he loved William Goldman's THE PRINCESS BRIDE. (Watching the movie isn't the same. The movie is good. The book is better.) If you enjoy non-fiction, you should read Stephen King's ON WRITING. It's terrific.

Best of luck.

hetdough

"Stop all this llama drama..."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hetwrites.blogspot.com
I'm so with you on this. I'm in no shape to be anyone's mentor so I apologize for not being able to step up for you on that. I just wanted to stick my head in and encourage you.

I also get embarrassed talking about my writing. In my situation it's even worse because even though in the "real" world it's not what I even like to read - I find myself writing YA romance *gasp*! I'm proud that I write, but I also know that until I come to terms with WHAT I write, I have a way to go in standing up for my work.

I hope you find a wonderful mentor who can help get you back on track and support you through this. I know this site is full of wonderful writers who are wonderful readers!

Good luck and keep that head up!

Fridgecrisis

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the feedback. Especially you, PortableHal. I think I'll stop telling people in real life about my book for a while. I'm both happy and sad to hear that the doubt and insecurity never go away. At least I know I'm normal in that regard.

And I do think I could "make it" as a writer, even if it means self-publishing and never making a dime on any of it. If I honestly try my best and still never get accepted by a publisher, then I hope I'll still feel happy that I did everything I could and still ended up with a book I can be proud of.

Some good news: I finished reading Uglies by Scott Westerfield today. I'm thinking of buying a copy of Hunger Games--I've heard a lot about it. Hopefully I can keep this momentum going and get myself reading again!

Soscen Felix

Ender Wiggin = YAHTZEE!
Registered
Reaction score
Reading?

Pretties and Specials, to continue with Scott Westerfield, are also good. Although I haven't read the latest one yet, Extras. But I can vouch for the other two books in the series. So I'd suggest continuing the series if you liked Uglies.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is also very good - I'd definitely recommend reading it. It's basically my favorite book of ever.

Kregger

Shortening People's Lives, daily
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karlrich.wordpress.com
A great writer reads a lot, just like great athletes practice against other great athletes. Reading is only one way to help our skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.