A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
In that case you don't need a PS3.

Voila! My work here is done!

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well in that case, I'd have an easier time convincing you not to spend any more money on video game consoles and instead use the funds to buy more books. ;)

To be fair, my dad bought the Xbox and it is downstairs, where I do not live.

I live in my room.

Which needs cleaned if I'm to get the HDTV.

I SHALL DO EET.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna say for FFXIII but then I remembered I think they're doing it for Xbox.

So nvm.

Still, I'd prefer a PS3 so I could play my old PS2 games.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I have a PS3.

Positves:

1) BluRay. Can't say enough about it. My two-year old is currently fixated on Peter Jackson's King Kong. She reaches out and tries to touch Kong. It's fascinating. And non-BluRay discs look better, too.
2) Auto updates. The PS3 has built in wireless, so it's connected to the internet via my wireless network. It updates itself all the time. This is really a great thing, both for gaming and BluRay.
3) Built-in browser. I have a wireless keyboard and can surf on the TV with ease.
4) Playstation Store. You can download movies and games--some for free--and game add-ons. My son has this game called "Pain." Tis hilarious.
5) It looks cool.
6) BluRay.
7) The games are fun. I can't compare it to XBox, 'cause I've never had one. But I can tell you that my son's friends--that have XBox--all want to play the PS3. And he isn't really interested in playing XBox, 'cept for Halo.
8) Network gaming. Really, it's so simple and every game my son plays seems to have the option. I guess XBox might be the same, though.
9) It doesn't have any buttons. This is good for me because the baby isn't trying to push them all the time.
10) BluRay. And just to be clear, here, everyone tells me that the PS3 is the best BluRay player on the market, partly because it gets the updates.

Negatives:

1) I had a bear of a time getting a universal remote that would incorporate the PS3, because it's bluetooth.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
If you get a PS3, the Triads will win.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
This is too easy, the PS3 isn't made by microsoft....

What else could you want?

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't understand the allure of gaming consoles.

The PC has better hardware than any console, plenty of gaming, and you can actually do constructive (okay, slightly more constructive) things on it when you get the urge.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need any of this shit. If I meet one more kid in my clinic who says his favorite thing is "video games" I'm going to set my hair on fire. Save your money and take up woodworking or koi ponds or something.

/cranky

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
So, my husband is a gamer, a game programmer, basically he lives games of every kind. I am more your stupid casual gamer who will get interested and pick up something from time to time (Lego Star Wars anyone???) So we've got both ends of the spectrum here. We've got:

1) Computer for gaming
2) Xbox
3) Wii
4) PS3

Out of all of those, the one we use 80% of the time is the Xbox. We don't even use the PS3 to watch shows because a lot of the time we'll download some obscure new anime and stream it from the computer. We also like to do Netflix on demand, and we do that from the Xbox as well. The PS3 is CRAP at streaming. Crap crap crap.

You know what we actually use the PS3 for? Here's what we use it for:

Sometimes, every once in a while, we get a scratched disc from Netflix. The Xbox will just stop playing. And SOMETIMES, if we take that scratched disc and put it into the PS3, it will continue to play, just skipping forward a smidge over the scratched bit.

Oh, right, we also use the PS3 when we're too lazy to take out the disc it has in it to watch another, so we just plug the new disc into the PS3.

Have I convinced you? :)

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
The PC has better hardware than any console, plenty of gaming, and you can actually do constructive (okay, slightly more constructive) things on it when you get the urge.

Given a choice between the Xbox 360 and a PC running Windows, I prefer the Xbox. It's more reliable, easier to use, and doesn't pretend to be good for anything but playing games.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't understand the allure of gaming consoles.

WC3 Map Mod (aka Battlenet)
Dragon Age Toolset