Amazon Kindle

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Maybe someone who has uploaded a book for Kindle can answer my questions. I "published" a book there last week and got a message to wait five business days before it appears on the site. Hmmm, hurry up and wait.

When I checked my edit copy, everywhere it had a photo there was a box, but no image. Their FAQ says that illustrations don't always appear and "this is a known problem." Well great. How do I know if my pictures are there, or not? I don't own a Kindle, so I suppose I'll never know.

It also says that you'll be able to set up to seven search criteria so that people can find your book. They also say you can choose your own classification/genre. None of this ever came up when I was uploading my material. Does this come later...or what??

Thanks.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Can't help you with the image stuff, since my books are all only text.

The five days thing is new. I wrote a post about it a while back. I don't think it took five whole days to get my book up--maybe more like three? Still, I find the waiting thing pretty annoying too.

The searching stuff is set up in your dashboard page under the product details tab where you put in the title and your name and all of that. Put your keywords in separated by commas. Also you can place your book in up to seven categories right in that same place.

Word of caution, however--every time you change ANYTHING, (including your categories or keywords) it takes five days to publish it. Once it's in the store it will be available for sale until you take it down, but your updates take five days to go live. (GRR.)

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Thanks for the info.

Great! Now I'll have another five days when I get out of jail.

I never saw the tab you're talking about when I filled out the information on the book.

As for the "photos"...I loaded a JPG of the title as the first page. I also have a small graphic inserted in each lacunas. Per their instructions, I converted the artwork to GIF's and pasted it into the document.

Can't believe how hard Amazon is to work with.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the dtp page of Kindle and log in.

You should be on "My Shelf."

There, you should see a list of all the books you've uploaded to Kindle.

Click on the title you want to edit.

Step 1 says "Enter Product Details"

On the left hand side is a place for your title and description, ISBN, etc.

On the right hand side you should see "Categories" (it tells you to click to add/edit Categories.) There you can put the book in seven different categories.

Under that you should see Authors (YOU! :) and beneath that "Search Keywords." Enter your keywords in the box, separated by commas.

My biggest issue with Kindle was getting my book to look decent. You HAVE to upload it in html or it looks like crap--at least all mine did anyway. But I've got that down now. I've gotten really good at the Word search and replace function.

Let us know when your book is live. :)

klnappier

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KLNappier.com
Kindle & Exclusive Rights

Greetings, All.

I have been all over the Kindle site and can't find an answer to my question, which is:

If I choose to publish an ebook with Kindle, does Amazon claim exclusive rights to publishing, or can I simultaneously publish elsewhere (i.e. Lulu)?

Many thanks to who ever may be able to answer.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lawyer, so maybe somebody else can clarify this, but it looks like you're granting Amazon digital rights. I'm not sure how this would affect your other rights if you choose to send it to a commercial publisher or even self-pub it.

LovetoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Valeriec80 - thanks for the information. I reviewed the link you provided and I was able to access it.

As part of your Application, you will provide us with a suggested retail price for each Title (“Suggested Retail Price” or “SRP”). The Suggested Retail Price you provide to Amazon must be consistent with the SRP you have provided to other retailers and wholesalers.

You hereby grant to us, throughout the term of this Agreement, a nonexclusive, irrevocable, worldwide right and license to distribute Digital Books as described herein, such right to include, without limitation, the right to:

Subject to the authorizations granted to us hereunder, as between us and you, you retain all ownership rights in and to the copyrights and all other rights and interest in and to the Titles.

All of these things lead me to believe you are correct. If I was interested in publishing through other means I would be able to do so. Thanks for the information. Its very interesting, to me.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Here's my update.

First I got an Email from the "dtp team," which is probably a message generator, that my book appeared to be public domain.

I sent them the copyright information which was also on the first page of the download.

No response from them.

I waited ten days and sent another Email. This Email has never been acknowledged either. I still see the "check back in 5 business days" message when I go to the site. I'm so frustrated I could chew nails.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I published on Kindle. It said 5 days, but in reality it was less than 48 hours. several people who ordered my book on Kindle had received it, read it, and told me they liked it, so, I've been happy with everything Kindle-wise.

I also sent my mss to my kindle before it was available for sale, because I wanted to compare what my original version looked like, compared to the purchased version. There was absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Windyrdg, have you considered that it may be your browser that is causing you not to see some of the things on Kindle? And if there are any kind of pop up pages to do with your loading your work, it could be your anti virus programme stopping it.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Any help on the Kindle forums? Sometimes someone there has the answer.

klnappier

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KLNappier.com
Not a lawyer, so maybe somebody else can clarify this, but it looks like you're granting Amazon digital rights. I'm not sure how this would affect your other rights if you choose to send it to a commercial publisher or even self-pub it.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. You have all been helpful and have given me what I need to make a decision. Thanks, again!