PDA

View Full Version : Heartfelt Thanks to AW

popmuze
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of those folks on AW who replied to my Selling Books to Relatives thread, making it the first five star thread on the Roundtable since Wayne K's on 8/29. But whereas Wayne only got 1 reply out of 70 views (what's that all about?), Relatives has just topped 100 replies and nearly 1000 views (even though half of them were mine), making it the first 100+ thread since Gillhoughly's thoroughly enjoyable Meyers Fanfic Writers Conditional Apology went all the way to (approximately) 392 views back on 9/10, racking up an amazing (for a non-sticky) 16,928 views (beat that Miss Snark!)
Anyway, as a measure of my heartfelt thanks to anyone who has bought my book because of this thread, or any other reason, I would be glad to show up at your house* to sign it**, preferably around dinnertime.***

* Provided you live within walking distance of my house.
**As well as the copies of at least a dozen of your friends and relatives.
**Provided you're not a vegetarian.

Darzian
09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I've been here for one whole year and never noticed the star ratings. hmmm

Darzian
09-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Do views count if the same person views the same thread over and over? I tried that using a thread and two different browsers but the view count didn't change.

But then again, that must be possible. Else we'd have to have several thousand members to accommodate the view count of some threads!

Ken
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
... yours is a good thread with some interesting observations in it. Never would've guessed it would turn out that way from the title, which seemed like a dead ringer for dullest thread of the year.

popmuze
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
It may not be my best work here, who can predict a best-seller?

swvaughn
09-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, your Selling Books to Relatives thread certainly has massive appeal, judging from the number of people who have sent responses. It may in fact be one of the best threads of this year. Roger Ebert certainly offered a positive view of that thread.

However, I feel that your Last Circle of Hell thread was far better produced. It may not be receiving the views of Selling Books to Relatives, but it has greater literary merit. Your prose is much stronger in the Last Circle of Hell, and I could detect deeper layers of meaning in the plot's thread. It is a shame that Last Circle of Hell did not command the greater viewing audience of Selling Books to Relatives.

/tongue-in-cheek comment

Cheers! *hands you an Academy Award* :D

Darzian
09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
How does a thread become 5 star? Now, this thread is 5 star too!

And when I click on the stars at the top of this page, it says "You have already rated this thread." :Wha:

popmuze
09-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Well, your Selling Books to Relatives thread certainly has massive appeal, judging from the number of people who have sent responses. It may in fact be one of the best threads of this year. Roger Ebert certainly offered a positive view of that thread.

However, I feel that your Last Circle of Hell thread was far better produced. It may not be receiving the views of Selling Books to Relatives, but it has greater literary merit. Your prose is much stronger in the Last Circle of Hell, and I could detect deeper layers of meaning in the plot's thread. It is a shame that Last Circle of Hell did not command the greater viewing audience of Selling Books to Relatives.

/tongue-in-cheek comment

Cheers! *hands you an Academy Award* :D

Back in 05 or 06 I think I came up with my best all-time thread, something like What Writer Made You Want to Be a Writer. It had everything, humor, drama, literary merit, wide appeal, and a movie sale to Tom Hanks, with Kevin Smith set to direct. Then the bottom fell out. Julia Roberts dropped out of the project and Hanks suddenly got too busy. Oh well. There's always next year.

All seriousness aside, who's responsible for the AW Best Thread of the Year Award anyway?

Williebee
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Ya know, if you're really wanting to self promote your thread, you should AT LEAST include a LINK TO IT (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4045688&postcount=1)!

popmuze
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
How does a thread become 5 star? Now, this thread is 5 star too!

It becomes a 5 star thread when I say it does.

(Actually, I have no idea).

popmuze
09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Ya know, if you're really wanting to self promote your thread, you should AT LEAST include a LINK TO IT (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4045688&postcount=1)!

I'd rather include a link to my book.

Phaeal
09-21-2009, 12:48 AM
I don't know who decides on the awards, but I want to present it so I can snatch the mike away from you and rant on about how scarletpeaches had the best thread OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME, okay? Now you can talk.

popmuze
09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
If I may be indulged for a slight bit of self-promotion here, I think my funniest all-time thread was the one called Critique My Opening Line, which read (in its entirety) "847."

(It's since been revised to "748"). Anyone remember that--or are you all too young?

popmuze
09-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't know who decides on the awards, but I want to present it so I can snatch the mike away from you and rant on about how scarletpeaches had the best thread OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME, okay? Now you can talk.

I don't mind, as long as me and Scarlet get to appear together on Leno.

swvaughn
09-21-2009, 12:57 AM
If I may be indulged for a slight bit of self-promotion here, I think my funniest all-time thread was the one called Critique My Opening Line, which read (in its entirety) "847."

(It's since been revised to "748"). Anyone remember that--or are you all too young?

Whew. Now that really brings me back. That was your pre-avatar work. My, oh my.

What a thread. So introspective. So avant-garde. Steeped in artistic observation and academic commentary.

I remember it well. :D

(Seriously, I do remember that thread. I derived a lot of entertainment reading it. Here's another Academy Award for you. *hands over statuette*)

popmuze
09-21-2009, 01:00 AM
(Seriously, I do remember that thread. I derived a lot of entertainment reading it. Here's another Academy Award for you. *hands over statuette*)

You like me. (sniff) You really like me.