Please Excuse My Ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
justthebabysitter.blogspot.com
I'm a blogger and tend to stay over on the blogging threads so please excuse both my intrusion and ignorance. I am almost finished a book based on my blog. However, as much as I enjoy writing I have absolutely no idea what the next step is.

I guess my questions is how do you find a publisher? And when you do locate a publisher(s) do you send them all a copy or is that a faux pas? How many publishers is a realistic number to be rejected by before you find anyone who will even look at your book?

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on my apparent lack of understanding the world of book publishing.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
With non-fiction, you send a proposal, not a completed manuscript. You should also considering getting an agent rather than going straight to publishers. Not only can an agent typically get you a better deal, but they know the editors at the publishing houses and have a better idea of who may be looking for what you have. Google "writing a non-fiction proposal" and you should turn up a lot of hits that go in depth of what you should do.

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, so who do agents "work"? Do they get paid upon hiring them, when you sign a "deal"?????

I would appreciate some guidance or to be redirected to an existing thread that might answer those questions.

TIA

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Agents work for you, and they ONLY get paid when a deal is inked. Generally 15%. www.agentquery.com is a resource you should be looking at right now. You can search for agents who handle what you're doing, then go look at their web pages and get the pertinent info (how to submit, what to submit, a listing of their previous sales, their client list, etc). If you find anyone who you're not sure about, come back here and search their name on the Bewares and Background Checks board.

Never sign with an 'agent' who wants money upfront. Okay?

judytrickett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agents work for you, and they ONLY get paid when a deal is inked. Generally 15%. www.agentquery.com is a resource you should be looking at right now. You can search for agents who handle what you're doing, then go look at their web pages and get the pertinent info (how to submit, what to submit, a listing of their previous sales, their client list, etc). If you find anyone who you're not sure about, come back here and search their name on the Bewares and Background Checks board.

Never sign with an 'agent' who wants money upfront. Okay?

Siddow.......THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

One more question.....do you write up the proposal and THEN find an agent and give the agent the proposal to submit to publishers on your behalf?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
One more question.....do you write up the proposal and THEN find an agent and give the agent the proposal to submit to publishers on your behalf?

Yep.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
There are tons of ways to look for legit agents for non-fiction, but all those years ago now, I started with the Association of Authors' Representatives, since its members are required to adhere to specific canon of ethics. Go to their page, and search for agents who represent memoirs or whatever form of non-fiction you're writing, and work off that list. (Just typing the word "memoir" into the search box pulled up 57 agents, including mine.)

There are other places to go, certainly, but for a first-timer, you at least know you're dealing with a good bunch. A DISCLAIMER, HOWEVER: Just because an agent is NOT on the list does not mean he or she is not a reputable agent. Tons of great agents are not AAR members. It's just a good place to start.

And then, as escritora said, you'll need a good proposal. However, to land an agent, you'll need a query letter first. If you catch an agent's attention with your query, (s)he'll ask for a proposal next. So even while you're sending out queries, have a great proposal ready so you can send it off a moment's notice---and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.