Best Final Fantasy Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I'm not talking about your favorite game, I'm talking about the best when it comes to storyline and characterization.

For me, coincidentally, xDDD, it happens to be both my favorite and the one I believe is the best, Final Fantasy X.

Typically, you aren't going to get much characterization until FFVI. From there on out though, it's good.

What's your opinion?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Game play and story line for me had to be X. I haven't played any of the ones beyond that. I think it has some good twists and turns built into it.

2 and 3 were quite extraordinary for their time. They really seemed to change the face of gaming. 7 was the first play station one, though the characters were blocky, I did like the story line quite a bit, it had a lot of twists and turns and each character was different.

I didn't ever get to play all of 8, 9 was fun but definitely not deep or anything like that. I think my favorite part was when Queen Braun (sp) died.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Final Fantasy has always kind of pushed the boundaries. I remember when I played all of the old SNES Rpgs on the Emulator, I was so dissinterested in playing most of them because of a lack of plot. Final Fantasy was always a good one.

Also, Chrono Trigger, as much as I hate following the band-wagon, was amazing for it's time. Absolutely.

Final Fantasy 8 was deplored because of its gameplay, but I honestly didn't mind. I liked the story, but I wasn't enraptured, as I was with ten. I agree about 9 as well. Very typical medieval plot with a twist that wasn't exactly the most engaging, but still enjoyable.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
III/VI was awesome!

VII was interesting, but a bit strange at times. But the characters really came alive. I wanted more, more, more.

VIII I wasn't thrilled with. Never really played the others.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I think my least favorite parts of Final Fantasy 7 were Barret and Sephiroth.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I think my least favorite parts of Final Fantasy 7 were Barret and Sephiroth.

I have to agree there. I have a friend who has a love affair going on with Sephiroth and I simply don't get it.

The weirdest part was when Cloud fell into the gaia or whatever they called it in that particular game.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I will ever understand Sephiroth fandom.

Yeah, that game confused me a bit, because when I played it the first time I was like seven.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Bah, this is a tough one lol. I've played all of the main games and several of the spin-offs. I'd say that X is put together the best as far as the storyline goes, at least as long as you pretend X-2 doesn't exist. :p Characterization is even tougher. Every game has standout characters and awful, useless, TSTL abominations. I'll have to think about that one for a bit.

And I reserve the right to change my answer once XIII comes out. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Anachronox!

Anachronox.jpg

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Storyline: Most definitely VI. No main character; failing to prevent the apocalypse than pulling it together; lots of personal backstory hidden all over the place.

Characterisation: X. Perfect, both the development and relationships. They've got everything right, down to the bodylanguage. Everyone's got their unique sense of humour, even. (Some of the battle quotes are hilarious.) The story is solid, but not great. The characters carry the story, but they do that really well.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
My wife likes IX best because she finds Vivi adorable.

My first Final Fantasy was IV, which had been released in the US as Final Fantasy II during the SNES' heydey. I played it over fifty times; sure, the story was relatively simple, but I was a young teenager and loved Cecil's journey. And the music was absolutely awesome.

After Final Fantasy IV came Final Fantasy VI, and I adored that game as well. I'll admit that I identified at the time with Terra's struggle to find a place for herself in the world.

Final Fantasy VII intrigued me from the beginning; it was the first videogame I ever bothered to pre-order. I just knew that there was more to the story than I was being told, and when I first read about post-traumatic stress disorder I immediately thought of Cloud. And I shed manly tears when Aerith died.

I know a lot of people dislike the story of Final Fantasy VIII, and dislike Squall in particular. However, I was at a point in my life where as I played through the story, I was able look at Squall and say, "Oh, fuck. That's me." And as far as I'm concerned, the following is the most romantic line I've seen in a video game: "Even if you end up as the world's enemy. I'll... I'll be your knight."

My favorite FF game thus far, however, is Final Fantasy XII. Vaan and Penelo are annoying, but the real heroes of the game, Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe carry the story. Vayne Solidor is an awesome villain; I knew he was a character to be watched as soon as he finished his inaugural speech as Consul of occupied Dalmasca.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
My absolute favourite: FFVII. Has to be 7! *huggles FFVII*

Have played FF since it started and FFVII clicked. Probably not the best when it comes to storyline and characterisation, etc., but I wuvs it anyway! =^P

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Blah.

xD

No, just kidding, you're entitled to your opinion.

I will just never understand it, hahaha.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Fell hard for VIII. It's one of only a few games that I still play regularly. It's not a perfect game, but there's a huge nostalgia value for me, and I love the characters.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree. Although I do like X more, I thoroughly enjoyed VIII. I was a little upset though, since I could never beat Griever, or whatever his name was.

WmHopper

Registered
Reaction score
Weird you shoud post this. I just got fed up of all the new first-person shooters, sports games, and movie clone games and decided to go get me something I really wanted to play. I got my all-time favorite: FFX.

I was psyched about getting the new Resident Evil, but when it came out (like so many good games-gone bad) they changed everything I liked (like the spookiness) and replaced it with complex controls, simple plot, and bad writing. I mention this because I am really looking forward to FFXIII, due out next year for PS3. I am hoping against hope that they do not do the same cap to FFXIII as they did to RE.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree. Although I do like X more, I thoroughly enjoyed VIII. I was a little upset though, since I could never beat Griever, or whatever his name was.

What surprised me on my recent replay was how much more awesome I am at this game now. I trashed T-Rexaurs with a tiny level 5 character and no stat magic ... at all. Just soaking up the punishment and dealing out the GFs. I also managed to kill the giant metal spider in Dollet for the first time, although it took me about fifteen tries and I was about to give up.

The one thing I can never manage is to take out Ultima Weapon without liberal use of invincibility items. Ow ow ow the pain and hurting.

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know if I ever even got to Ultima Weapon. I should re-play the oldies since I was so young when I played most of them.

All I remember combat-wise was basically destroying everything with Zell.

I am sooo stoked for 13, though I was a little upset by the combat system. I like traditional turn-based battles, Not Gonna Lie.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Don't have time for Zell. My awesome weapon of destruction is Squall armed with Lionheart and a stack of Aura spells. Not a whole lot survives that. :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite FF game thus far, however, is Final Fantasy XII. Vaan and Penelo are annoying, but the real heroes of the game, Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashe carry the story. Vayne Solidor is an awesome villain; I knew he was a character to be watched as soon as he finished his inaugural speech as Consul of occupied Dalmasca.

I wasn't going to post in this thread as I've only played FF12, but had to agree with this. :) I love Fran's back story; the part where she tells her sister that she fears the Wood hates her always makes me choke up. Basch is a great, noble character, and Balthier is interesting for all sorts of reasons. :) Ashe I found hard to warm to, except in the cut-scenes from her past, but as her story is basically rather unhappy and serious the whole way through, her character is plausible. Vaan and Penelo are all right, but feel mostly like generic player avatars aimed at younger consumers. I've read the Wikipedia entry for the game where the developers' aims are given, and I think they've achieved what they intended to with the characters. For a console game, where as a generalisation, the character depth doesn't tend to be as good as in PC games, I think it's a great buy. I still play it for around an hour most mornings to wake up. :)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Wait... I'd forgotten about FFXIII coming out. Must get! (^_^) (Yes, I have the other FF games, too.)

12 I also played and loved it. But I keep going back to 7. What can I say? I like nostalgia. :D

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, about 12, haha... I liked Penelo.

^.^

I know, I'm a total loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.