PDA

View Full Version : When to query?

Shea McCandless
09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
My first novel, published by a small independent publisher was just released. I have another novel ready to go--though I think I should run my query through the grinder first, lol.

What is people's advice on how soon I should start querying agents, and how much or little should I play up that I have one other novel published?

Thank you.

katiemac
09-17-2009, 10:08 PM
If the final draft is complete and you're happy with it, I don't see any reason to wait. Of course perfect the query--I'd mention your first book with any other credits, very matter-of-fact, by listing the title, publisher and date.

ChaosTitan
09-17-2009, 10:08 PM
You always want your query to focus on the book you're querying, to make it sound as enticing and unique as possible. It's fine to mention your other credit at the end, as long as it's a royalty-paying publisher. If it's a tiny micropress that your average agent has never heard of, or you only got paid in author copies, it probably won't help your chances.

But if it is a recognizable press (and some of the small ones are), it certainly won't hurt. :)

Shea McCandless
09-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you to both of you. It is a pretty small publisher--fairly new as well--no advance, but does pay royalties. I guess I'm thinking that being matter of fact about it while listing my other credits might be the way to go.

I read an article the other day where the agent took notice of someone's query because the writer came across as professional and wanted to build a career, which I sure do, lol.